Less carbs, more fatigue...help?

Options
Last Monday, I got the diagnosis that I was pre-diabetic. I've cut my carbs from close to 200 to around 100 cold turkey. I felt like absolute crap the first couple days and am just now starting to feel better. It's been an adjustment trading my sub sandwiches for rabbit-food lettuce wraps and all these other depressing things that make me want to sit on the floor surrounded by clearance priced Easter candy. Also, finding good carbs versus bad carbs has been a challenge. Nonetheless, I tried working out last night and I felt miserable. I have more physical energy throughout the day, but I couldn't even finish my 30 day shred. I felt really weak.

Is my body still adjusting or do I need to up my carbs with good ones? I have a half marathon in 2 weeks and need to figure this out before they're picking me up off the pavement. Can anyone take a look at my diary and give me a suggestion on what to tweak? Yesterday and Sunday were kind of shot because of Easter and leftovers. I really needed that pie...

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    More fats, keto might be the way for u because of pre-diabetes
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The adjustment period of lowering carbs was always hard on me. I found lowering carbs more gradually helped with that adjustment period. I don't know much about pre-diabetes actually so I'm sorry if this post is not one bit helpful. I wouldn't suggest going to 100g of carbs if you're training for a half marathon. I carb cycle and on my workout days I hit around 235g carb and on rest days I hit 135g. Perhaps this is a method that would be useful for you? I'm thinking youre feeling crappy because you aren't feeding your body what it needs for all the running you're doing. Why don't you try for slower digesting carbs on workout/running days and see if that helps?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It can take a few weeks for the body to adjust to using some ketones for energy, and at 100g of carbs per day, your body will need to supplement some ketones for energy. In two weeks you might be there, but you might not. If in doubt, bring some carbs/Gu or whatever with you so you have glucose to use if neeed.

When people cut carbs, they lose water weight (a higher carb diet causes water retention) and with that water loss you will lose electrolytes. When electrolytes are low you may feel fatigued, headaches, muscle aches or spasms, brain fog and even nausea. Increase sodium to 3000-5000 mg per day by drinking bullion, adding a teaspoon of salt to water, taking salt tablets and salting your food. If you have let it get low for a while, you may need extra potassium and magnesium too.

Consider joining the Low Carber Daliy group for LCHF ideas. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group No one wants to eat "rabbit food lettuce wraps or other depressing foods". It sounds like you need a food makeover so you aren't miserable. You need to rediscover the tasty LCHF foods. For example, consider Soul bread as a stand in for your old bread. http://lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-soul-bread-recipes/

If you can, avoid cheats. It isn't just a weight loss problem but a health issue. Give LCHF a good try. Right now you are sort of dabbling in the diet. Going and staying LCHF is the only way to reap the benefits of the diet. Hang in there
  • boopwalk
    boopwalk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You may want to look at B12 or Bcomplex. It can have an effect on your energy level.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    It can take a few weeks for the body to adjust to using some ketones for energy, and at 100g of carbs per day, your body will need to supplement some ketones for energy. In two weeks you might be there, but you might not. If in doubt, bring some carbs/Gu or whatever with you so you have glucose to use if neeed.

When people cut carbs, they lose water weight (a higher carb diet causes water retention) and with that water loss you will lose electrolytes. When electrolytes are low you may feel fatigued, headaches, muscle aches or spasms, brain fog and even nausea. Increase sodium to 3000-5000 mg per day by drinking bullion, adding a teaspoon of salt to water, taking salt tablets and salting your food. If you have let it get low for a while, you may need extra potassium and magnesium too.

Consider joining the Low Carber Daliy group for LCHF ideas. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group No one wants to eat "rabbit food lettuce wraps or other depressing foods". It sounds like you need a food makeover so you aren't miserable. You need to rediscover the tasty LCHF foods. For example, consider Soul bread as a stand in for your old bread. http://lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-soul-bread-recipes/

If you can, avoid cheats. It isn't just a weight loss problem but a health issue. Give LCHF a good try. Right now you are sort of dabbling in the diet. Going and staying LCHF is the only way to reap the benefits of the diet. Hang in there

I'm pretty novice on balancing this. If I increase my sodium that much, won't that CAUSE water retention? I have noticed that since cutting carbs, I go over on my fats and sodium every day. Seems odd that I've always strived for being under on the fats and sodium.

I plan on bringing GU and having my ritual steak, potatoes, bread, and gatorades the day before my race. I'll check into that group. I do need ideas because I'm getting bored quick on the limited foods!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Have Fish grilled every friday for dinner. Side of veggies.
    Making one little commitment a day for the rest of your life.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I'm pretty novice on balancing this. If I increase my sodium that much, won't that CAUSE water retention? I have noticed that since cutting carbs, I go over on my fats and sodium every day. Seems odd that I've always strived for being under on the fats and sodium.

I plan on bringing GU and having my ritual steak, potatoes, bread, and gatorades the day before my race. I'll check into that group. I do need ideas because I'm getting bored quick on the limited foods!

Increasing sodium will not cause water retention higher than previous levels (as when you were eating twice as many carbs). It will just replace the lost sodium. I know it sounds like a crazy large amount of salt but it does help. When I went low carb, I fought that advice for the longest time and ended up feeling poorly for a couple of weeks. As soon as I starting drinking a teaspoon of salt in my water every morning, my symptoms cleared up.

I know adding fat and sodium seems.... wrong. I didn't even salt most of my food before starting LCHF. It was a switch. LOL

When you have your pre race meal, consider skipping the bread and reducing the potatoes. Skip the gatorad entirely. Those are high GI foods, and as a prediabetic, it will cause your BG to rocket upwards. That's not good. You don't need a large carb loading on the day prior to a race if it is going to rais BG badly. KWIM?

Do you have a glucose metre yet? Testing before a meal, as well as 30-60minutes after, and 90-120 minutes after, will show you very quickly what foods are a problem for you. It feels sort of scary to use it at first but it can really help those of us with IR to plan our meals.

Good luck. :)
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    The irony was that when I went from pre-diabetic into the diabetic range my doctor sent me to a dietician who upped my carbs. It's not completely necessary to nix the carbs out of your life, but if you're eating them without protein, choose more complex carbs such as brown rice, and brown potatoes. Watch your sugar portions, as to me that was more important that necessarily getting out the carbs.
    See if you can get an appointment with a dietician because of your situation and talk with them. They should have a better understanding of your medical history than we do. You're pre-diabetic so thankfully you haven't crossed that line, but definitely watch what you're eating more closely, and exercise as well.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It takes up to 3-4 weeks for your body to adapt to burning fat for energy instead of carbs. You also should be taking a good multivitamin.

Your body needs to transition away from carbs/sugar energy. It will take a bit, but fat burning energy tends to be more level throughout the day vs. crashing/ups and downs using carbs.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Why not just trade in the lower nutrient carbs (bread, pasta, white rice) for sweet potatoes, oats, etc? Eat your carb heavy meal before working out to give you a boost of energy.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I never thought about that. I'm still with my toes in the water on learning goods carbs vs bad carbs, etc.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    It takes a few weeks or months to really change things and get used to it. You'll get there. :)