Squat EVERYDAY

Options
rickyll
rickyll Posts: 188 Member
I started the Squat Every Day Program by Cory Gregory yesterday and I'm just looking to get people's opinions on it. Have you done it? What did you think? What were some pros and cons in your opinion?

I'm personally stoked to be doing this program and I'll update my measurements and strength numbers at the end of the 30 days.

Thanks!

Replies

• drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Personally, I feel doing compound exercises like that every day a bit overboard. I train legs twice a week and squat both those days. Pretty damn happy with my results over three months.
  • rickyll
    Options
    Yah I get where you're coming from. It can be really taxing on your central nervous system when it's firing at full force every single day.

I do some form of compound lift everyday already though and I have yet to feel the effects of over-training. In this case, it's what I already do but to the max so I'm not ruling out the possibility that I may burn out before the 30 days are up. I'll just have to listen to my body and take it day-by-day.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    It would seem to me that squatting every day won't give your body a chance to recover and rebuild. Muscle growth doesn't happen when you exercise but when you rest. If you're constantly tearing down the muscle, the only opportunity you're giving your body to recover is until your next workout. You can try it and see what happens but it would seem that there are much better ways to really make an impact. Are you looking for strength gains, power or muscle growth?
  • Lewisg51
    Lewisg51 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Squatting every day is not good to do, you will risk injury and like others have said it does not give you any recovery time, max of 3 times a week.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    this makes my knees hurt
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would be interested to see/hear your results. I looked up the program to see how it is set up intensity-wise and it looks like you're squatting pretty heavy each day as opposed to a variety of heavy/medium/light days. I'm assuming you'll have to eat a ton to keep that up.
  • drwilseyjr
    Options
    Lewisg51 wrote: »
    Squatting every day is not good to do, you will risk injury and like others have said it does not give you any recovery time, max of 3 times a week.

My thoughts exactly.
  • slb5418
    slb5418 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I this for about 10 days, working up to a daily minimum and then a daily max, depending on how I felt. By the end of the 10 days my knees and hips took a beating. I would foam roll a lot. This type of training is okay for a short period when your typical workout isn't producing results.
  • liftzilla16
    liftzilla16 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said above, I feel that squatting every day is both super unnecessary and can also be bad for the knees. Never personally done it myself but it's such a major compound movement that I couldn't possibly imagine any good coming out of this.
  • drwilseyjr
    Options
    rickyll wrote: »
    I'm personally stoked to be doing this program and I'll update my measurements and strength numbers at the end of the 30 days.

Just listen to your body if you're going to do this. Do not push through knee or hip pain.

IMO, I doubt you're going to see very much increase in strength in 30 days since your muscles are not getting a chance to heal/grow properly and they're not going to be at their max efficiency doing the exercise every day.

• tianahmaristela
    tianahmaristela Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been squatting every day (with the odd day off) for about 4 weeks now. Keeping the weight close to 70%-75% for high reps. I've already hit PR's for squat and deadlift without injury. I know that the weight is no where near where you would be, but I don't think squatting everyday is unnecessary. It depends on what your goals are.

Check out Pat Mendes.
    'Buffmendes' on Instagram if you haven't already! Been squatting 600lbs every day for the past 6 months!

I would definitely go for it if this will help you reach your goals! But like you said, listen to your body and don't push to the point of injury!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    this makes my knees hurt

Just reading it.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So have heard about these types of programs, just not this one exactly. So after looking at it briefly, and these are my opinions and thoughts only from first glance of the program, I think its somewhat of a novelty. What I mean is, yes, it has you squatting every day; however, the overall impactful volume of work seems low compared to other structured programs. So while I think it will have an impact on strength, I think due to overall volume, it won't be great for putting on muscle (assuming you are eating toward this goal). So again, for a strength block, it would work "ok" (see second thought)...for a hypertrophy block, not so much.

My other thought about it is, that it has you doing so many variants of squat that you don't really get good at doing one thing. The variants take care of the mitigating fatigue like in a heavy, light, medium structure due to providing variants that will force you to handle less weight, so that is good; however, getting really strong at low bar back squatting (for example) is more neurologically helped with low bar back squatting with frequency. If you throw in 10 other squat variants, you aren't providing enough frequency on the main movement as you are having to also practice all those other movements, thus diluting the effect on the main lift you are wanting to increase strength in.

Again, just my thoughts and opinions on this particular program.
  • rickyll
    Options
    thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm not new to weightlifting so I'm not surprised with the answers I received. I take the necessary precautions to remain safe and effective (stretching, rolling, warm ups) but chance of injury and fatigue is still high so I'll listen to my body and see what happens. Day 2 done today and I felt great! Cheers!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So I have done Sheiko-(several times) and I am just finishing the 20 Squat breathing program- where you squat 3 times a week. (this is my 2nd rotation through that program)

Sheiko you squat 2 times a week- but you have 2 completely seperate sessions in lift (i.e.squat bench squat- or squat bench squat bench)- and this program where you do a warm up and then do 1 x 20 progressively adding 5 pounds for 6 weeks or till failure.

It sucks.
    I could not imagine literally squatting EVERY single day.

And I love squatting. But there is a point where it becomes counter productive- no rest- no recoup- just doing the same repetitive work every workout. It's probably going to lead to some SI issues- possible knee issues and or random RSI.

But- Good luck- you seem to already have your mind made up so I'm not sure why you even bothered- seems like you were looking for validation more than actual information.

Good luck and let us know how the surgery goes!
  • rickyll
    Options
    I'll be the guinea pig! I'll be updating my stats (measurements, body fat, and PRs) regularly if anyone wants to know if this program is effective or not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'll just add that if your legs aren't responding, then likely the day you train them, you aren't training them hard enough. Being able to squat everyday, means that the intensity isn't high.
    How do I know? Cause at one time my legs really lagged until I REALLY hit them hard 2 times a week. Those 2 days were days I really had to be ready for. Arm day.............not so much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rickyll
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    So I have done Sheiko-(several times) and I am just finishing the 20 Squat breathing program- where you squat 3 times a week. (this is my 2nd rotation through that program)

Sheiko you squat 2 times a week- but you have 2 completely seperate sessions in lift (i.e.squat bench squat- or squat bench squat bench)- and this program where you do a warm up and then do 1 x 20 progressively adding 5 pounds for 6 weeks or till failure.

It sucks.
    I could not imagine literally squatting EVERY single day.

And I love squatting. But there is a point where it becomes counter productive- no rest- no recoup- just doing the same repetitive work every workout. It's probably going to lead to some SI issues- possible knee issues and or random RSI.

But- Good luck- you seem to already have your mind made up so I'm not sure why you even bothered- seems like you were looking for validation more than actual information.

Good luck and let us know how the surgery goes!

I was more looking for people that had done it before or are currently doing it to see how they feel/felt about it. I'm open to anything so if half-way I decide that yes, everyone who answered this thread is right, and this isn't such a good idea, then I'll stop. In fact, there is no one on this thread that I haven't agreed with, including you. But as I've stated before, I know what I'm doing and I'm not a beginner so I'm gonna test this out. I appreciate the nice little passive aggressive jab at the end.
  • amypixton2010
    amypixton2010 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've read about this program. I unfortunately don't have time to lift everyday... I'm following to see what you think of the program and wish you great gains :) I just finished smolov squat program which is 4 days a week very heavy. Might be something to look into if your looking for big gains. I went from a 1RM of 175 to 205 in 3 weeks while pregnant!
  • WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The thing about this is that it seems to be driven by a lack of understanding of muscle growth. Muscles don't grow in the gym. They grow AFTER the workout when you're giving them proper recovery. Squatting every day, unless you're on the juice, is a terrible idea.