Squat EVERYDAY

Options

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Max Aita claims he squatted every day for 13 years or something and that dude can move the serious weight and move it raw.

Currently I squat 3 to 4 times a week with bench press (or will again when my chest injury heals -- not related to benching) and my squats (as well as my bench) have never been stronger or more precise.

That groove is greased and greased well.

Trick is in knowing how to alter intensity. If you can't/don't know how, then you may want to reconsider.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it goes. The program isn't meant to last forever (and you're not going balls to the wall every day (if memory serves me correctly) so I'd think recovery would be okay.

Anecdotally, the most often I've squatted is 3 days a week but I liked the progress I made during that time. My strongest bench was also during 3-day a week program. I'm curious to see your results.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Max Aita claims he squatted every day for 13 years or something and that dude can move the serious weight and move it raw.

Currently I squat 3 to 4 times a week with bench press (or will again when my chest injury heals -- not related to benching) and my squats (as well as my bench) have never been stronger or more precise.

Trick is in knowing how to alter intensity. If you can't/don't know how, then you may want to reconsider.

No doubt and agree with you, but to offer Max as an example, needs some perspective context for the OP. Max was under the supervision of two of the world's premier weight lifting coaches (Steve Gough and Ivan Abadjiev) during this time and this was Max's job; so most, if not all of his other life variables, revolved around his lifting.
    edited April 2016
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

No doubt and agree with you, but to offer Max as an example, needs some perspective context for the OP. Max was under the supervision of two of the world's premier weight lifting coaches (Steve Gough and Ivan Abadjiev) during this time and this was Max's job; so most, if not all of his other life variables, revolved around his lifting.
    Man, that would be the life. Lifting as your job. Its too bad M.F.A's can't provide that.

Hindsight.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

You don't need professional supervision to make it work, but I agree with nakedraygun that you have to be reasonable and conservative with your intensity. I have done very high frequency, including benching and squatting heavy 5 days a week for about a month at a time. I made some really nice strength gains while doing it. If your auto-regulation sucks, you will burn out quickly.
    edited April 2016
    Options
    richln wrote: »

You don't need professional supervision to make it work, but I agree with nakedraygun that you have to be reasonable and conservative with your intensity. I have done very high frequency, including benching and squatting heavy 5 days a week for about a month at a time. I made some really nice strength gains while doing it. If your auto-regulation sucks, you will burn out quickly.
    I had asked about this program and if anyone was running it a few months ago on these boards. I ultimately decided against it and I was only planning on running it 4 - 6 weeks.

When I was questioned what I was going to do after I had accumulated all that volume and how would I introduce a new training stimulus I was stumped. (Other than taking a month off.) Therefore, I went in another direction, still adding more volume/frequency, and that I could run concurrently with 5/3/1 and as an amateur "competitive" powerlifter.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Not saying in general you do and even said I agreed with him. Again, the example he referenced was Max Aita who did it for 13 years, so I offered the context on which HE (Max) was able to do it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I squat 100 times daily M-F and appreciate the occasions to rest and recuperate such micro injuries as I may have introduced during my SS rest days. Your program will be effective. I just do it at 243 lb body weight.
    edited April 2016
    Options

Not saying in general you do and even said I agreed with him. Again, the example he referenced was Max Aita who did it for 13 years, so I offered the context on which HE (Max) was able to do it.
    Max is an example of in extremis (of course) and as you rightly pointed out he had great coaching to accompany on him on that odyssey. Either the OP will be able to do this, or he won't --it's not rocket surgery after all. He'll know.
  • richln
    Options

I had asked about this program and if anyone was running it a few months ago on these boards. I ultimately decided against it and I was only planning on running it 4 - 6 weeks.

When I was questioned what I was going to do after I had accumulated all that volume and how would I introduce a new training stimulus I was stumped. (Other than taking a month off.) Therefore, I went in another direction, still adding more volume/frequency, and that I could run concurrently with 5/3/1 and as an amateur "competitive" powerlifter.

I didn't run the program in question, but my approach was very similar. I was not focused on powerlifting, so when I was finished, I went on a strictly low-weight hypertrophy program to let my joints have a break.
    Options

I didn't run the program in question, but my approach was very similar. I was not focused on powerlifting, so when I was finished, I went on a strictly low-weight hypertrophy program to let my joints have a break.

Which one?
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You need to give your muscles time to rebuild and recover. I think everyday is going to limit your overall growth, just because the muscle can't keep up. Assuming you are doing this natural, it takes juice to get your muscles to respond to that from what I have seen and read.

I stick to a heavy weight/low rep hypertrophy work out and hit most of my areas once to twice a week. It has been slow and steady growth.
  • richln
    Options

True, sorry. John Broz is also an advocate and he did it for many years.
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/max-out-on-squats-every-day
  • richln
    Options

Which one?

Sorry, don't remember, it was a very long time ago. Probably high-volume PPL or bro-splits.
    edited April 2016
    Options

Which one?

Sorry, don't remember, it was a very long time ago. Probably high-volume PPL or bro-splits.

I could see that, weight around 50% volume or throttled down frequency with a bro-split.
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I Iooked at this thread so I have an update! Today was day 7 and I feel fantastic! Back Squat PR has gone up to 245lbs from 225lbs right before I started. Today I hit a front squat PR of 225lbs. (pretty sure if I can do 225 front, I'll be able to hit higher then 245 back squat next time I do them!) Starting EVERY workout with intense squats sets a fantastic tone for the rest of my workout (Ex: I have never had as good of a chest workout as I had after doing a butt-load of squats). Anyway, If you're interested in this program, I post updates any time I hit a PR of some sort. I feel fantastic and testosterone levels are probably through the roof. DISCLOSURE: I listen to my body and I will NOT go up in weight unless I can do a lower weight with the upmost strictest form. I go *kitten*-to-grass with every squat before I move on. I also stretch and roll diligently, making sure that I don't sacrifice mobility and flexibilty. This program is not for beginners.
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    haha I'm sure we all know what "Kitten-to-grass" was supposed to say before it got censored...
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I haven't done the program, but I do work out with olympic lifters who squat every day they work out (5-6 days per week). My own coach is more of an o-lifter but she does a powerlifting meet about once a year and is currently sitting in the top 5 on squat in the 165lb/75kg class on Powerlifting Watch even though she is not a powerlifter for the most part! They generally work to a heavy single for the day and then do drop sets. [For anyone who doesn't know, PLW is where they aggregate powerlifting rankings nationally across various federations.] I occasionally work with some coaches who also train national level weightlifters (not powerlifters) and they have their most advanced athletes doing 9 squat sessions per week!!! Generally I squat some variation 4-5 days per week and no worries. . Let us know how it turns out! :)
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    As long as form/technique is good it will work. People like Omar on youtube have done this and seen great results. The body will adapt, and although recovery is important you're aren't going to be squatting 400 everyday for 10 reps. So, overall volume/ intensity will automatically play their roles.