Options
13»

Replies

• rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    FINAL UPDATE AND THOUGHTS...for those who care

4 weeks of the Squat Every Day program by Cory Gregory ended as of yesterday and I will give my thoughts, my personal results, and who I'd recommend this to.

A great thing about this program is that you are forced to push yourself day in and day out - attempting to hit new records almost everyday. If you read previous comments, many people say that squatting everyday would be too much... but I have a feeling that if many of those people actually tried it, they'd be surprised at what their body is capable of. I will say however that by the end of the 30 days I was starting to get really sick of squatting and on the last 3 days I didn't even attempt to break any PRs. I just went through the motions so I could get it over with!
    30 days is enough.
    The BEST part about this program is how, after you do the usual 10 sets of squats at the beginning of every workout, the rest of your workout, whether you move on to chest, back, shoulders or arms, ends up being extremely intense and highly satisfying. They are a mix of heavy weight/low volume and lower weight/high volume so you never neglect your upper body in this program.

A not-so-great part about this program: It's over-simplified and not for beginners..at all. Cory Gregory clearly made this program for a specific audience that is expected to already understand the inherent dangers of squatting heavy every day and the paramount importance of stretching and rolling EVERYDAY. The program should be called "Squat and Stretch Everyday". My legs are tired but are uninjured and my joints feel healthy like they did before the program. I took utmost care in preventing injuries - my stretching, rolling, and mobility work added an additional 30-40 minutes to each workout. I think he should have given this aspect of the program more importance.

My goal for the 30 days:
    Body composition change (shed fat while remaining roughly the same weight and keeping roughly the same measurement. I didn't have a set amount I wanted to lose because I've never tracked BF% before so I didn't know how much I should expect to lose in a month.

Results: Somewhat achieved
    I started at BF% of 14.34 and ended at 13.80.
    Weight started at 195 and ended at around 196. Small weight increase.
    Size Increased marginally as well.

Not the big shed I was hoping for but I attribute it to the fact that I ate lots because I did NOT want to lose size..So overall a success. Also, the changes I saw in the mirror were highly satisfying!

It's pretty obvious who I'd recommend this program to: Advanced lifters who want to push themselves to their limit in order to make gains in their compound lifts but also every other lift. Strength gains are tremendous and you shed a good amount of fat depending on your diet. This program is great for breaking through plateaus.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Nice report @rickyll. As far as the squat itself, any improvements?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Nice work!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I do leg day 3 times a week and I couldn't even imagine doing more than that. Unless this program is very light weight or body weight squatting, I don't think I would recommend it. And if you are looking to gain muscle, then light weight and body weight squats are not the way to go. Personally, my heavy leg day (typically ends up being twice x week + one random accessory leg day) includes squats (110 x 3 x 15 and a final set at 170/180 x 1 x 5/4) and that KILLS my legs. It's a requirement for me to have at least two non-lower days before doing that routine once again. Your muscles have to heal. Anyone on here will tell you rest days are crucial to building muscle.
  • rickyll
    Options

Oh yeah I forgot to post my PRs!

BEFORE:
    Squat : 245lbs
    Front Squat: 185lbs
    Deadlift: 315lbs
    Military Press: 135lbs
    Bench Press: 155lbs

AFTER:
    Squat : 305lbs
    Front Squat: 245lbs
    Deadlift: 335lbs
    Military Press: 145lbs
    Bench Press: 175lbs (I didn't start with an impressive bench/military press nor did I push it very hard due to shoulder injuries I'm still working on)
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    rickyll wrote: »

BEFORE:

AFTER:
    Bench Press: 175lbs (I didn't start with an impressive bench/military press nor did I push it very hard due to shoulder injuries I'm still working on)

Dude, those improvements in 30 days would sell any program. Period.
  • rickyll
    Options
    I do leg day 3 times a week and I couldn't even imagine doing more than that. Unless this program is very light weight or body weight squatting, I don't think I would recommend it. And if you are looking to gain muscle, then light weight and body weight squats are not the way to go. Personally, my heavy leg day (typically ends up being twice x week + one random accessory leg day) includes squats (110 x 3 x 15 and a final set at 170/180 x 1 x 5/4) and that KILLS my legs. It's a requirement for me to have at least two non-lower days before doing that routine once again. Your muscles have to heal. Anyone on here will tell you rest days are crucial to building muscle.

Did you read my final report?
    I would tend to agree that rest is crucial but you'd be surprised at what your body is capable of. It may not need as much rest as you think. I did it and so can many others out there. The key is to listen to your body. Like I said in the report... good program but 30 days was enough!
    Options

BEFORE:

AFTER:
    Nice gains all around.
  • rickyll
    Options

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Thanks, man.
    I'm definitely following up this program with a couple of days off and some very relaxed gym sessions.
    Options
    Your muscles have to heal. Anyone on here will tell you rest days are crucial to building muscle.
    And the body is also highly adaptable, it can adapt to higher forms of training stress than we give it credit for.
    Options

Did you read my final report?
    I would tend to agree that rest is crucial but you'd be surprised at what your body is capable of. It may not need as much rest as you think. I did it and so can many others out there. The key is to listen to your body. Like I said in the report... good program but 30 days was enough!

So much handwringing over this program, it gives me a case of the sad panda.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Thanks, man.
    I'm definitely following up this program with a couple of days off and some very relaxed gym sessions.

that's some well earned rest