Can you get lean on a ketogenic diet?

Options
Hello, I'm 24 year old female 5'7 and 122 pounds. I began lifting weights and other resistance training not long ago. Around the same time, coincidentally, I was put on a ketogenic diet by my neurologist for my epilepsy. I'm still pretty skinny-fat so I want to get lean (build muscle without getting "fatter"). Can this be done successfully on a ketogenic diet? Or will it eventually take a toll on me? I need to get lean and if a ketogenic diet is bad for that then I don't know what to do since it's doctor's orders. Unless there's other exercises that would work. Any advice?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You can get lean on nearly any type of diet - including ketogenic.

It sounds like you're on the right path, considering you are doing strength/resistance training. At your height and weight, I'd recommend what's called a recomp - maintain weight, while losing fat and building muscle. It will likely take a while, though, just so you know.

This is a really good, but long, thread on the subject.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight on a keto diet. I'm about a month into one now. I'm actually gaining muscle mass, but if I cut my calorie intake back, I'd lose weight quick.

Your body should be burning fat for energy instead of glucose/carbs when in ketosis. And if you tweak your caloric intake correctly, you'll lose weight.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You will lose weight. At first a lot. Get informed and do it right.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto is fine for weight loss or muscle building. The first few weeks or months on keto might have you feeling like you are not performing as well as your body adapts, but after that you should have no problems with workouts suffering at all.

Good luck. I hope the diet helps. :) Consider joining the Low Carber Daily group. A fair number are on a ketogenic diet who also lift. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Maybe @V_Keto_V can weigh in on this :wink: