I'm always tired!

Options
The one thing that has been holding me back is the fact that I'm always tired. I've taken iron pills, I sleep at least 8 hours a day, I've tried everything! Have any of you guys ever encountered this?

Replies

• MeganSchuyler16
    MeganSchuyler16 Posts: 189 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yep, I'm that way too because I have lupus. Started drinking Lipton Green Tea with Dragonfruit and Melon. I used to hate tea, but now I love it. It keeps me full and awake. I also take a One A Day for Women with Energy, which also helps.
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Yes but it usually is some factor of what I have been eating and how hard I am working, also what I do in the day. If I lay on the couch all day or sit at the computer all day I get tired. If I don't eat a nice breakfast, usually oatmeal, I get tired. If I don't eat enough carbs and workout a ton, I get tired. I can't see your diary, so I can't give you any of my opinions as to why you are.
  • 50extra
    Options
    And did you self medicate with the iron pills?
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    There's probably a plethora of things that can cause this, and we can all speculate about this, that and the other thing with our non-professional guesses. Perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Talk to your dr?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The one thing that has been holding me back is the fact that I'm always tired. I've taken iron pills, I sleep at least 8 hours a day, I've tried everything! Have any of you guys ever encountered this?

What has your doctor said?
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I hope the iron pills were prescribed by a doctor. There's a form of anemia caused by too much iron, and it can kill.
  • cathed42
    cathed42 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I hope the iron pills were prescribed by a doctor. There's a form of anemia caused by too much iron, and it can kill.

In your professional opinion?
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Check with your doc... have your thyroid checked.
  • 50extra
    Options
    cathed42 wrote: »

In your professional opinion?

Self medicating with Iron is not a good thing as it can cover up more serious health problems, that is why I asked at the start. I am not a professional either, I just worked in a drug store/pharmacy when I was younger and listened to the pharmacist preach that when people were looking to buy them.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Agree with others that say see your doctor. Also have you recently gone very low carb and continue to workout rigorously? This could also make you feel very tired.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor for sure. But for me a b50 supplement, vitamin d and fish oil has been improving things. Im also trying to drink more water.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Yep. I discovered that the only thing that helps me is to get closer to 10 hours of sleep and time it so that I'm sleeping when my body naturally makes best use of its sleep cycles. Doesn't happen on weekdays but on weekends it helps a ton. I've had all my bloodwork run multiple times and it always comes back normal. Docs just say "you're naturally low energy - get lots of sleep. " in the meantime I just do what I can. Sometimes going for a jog is energizing - on those days I push myself to be more active. Some days I'm beat by dinnertime just getting through my day and those days I rest. Best wishes to you!
  • kileedphelps
    kileedphelps Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    50extra wrote: »

Nope they were suggested by my doctor!

• kileedphelps
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There's probably a plethora of things that can cause this, and we can all speculate about this, that and the other thing with our non-professional guesses. Perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order?

I've broached the subject multiple times with different doctors and no one can figure it out. It's odd!

• kileedphelps
    Options
    tk6299 wrote: »
    Check with your doc... have your thyroid checked.

I did have that checked once but may have it checked again. Thanks!

• kileedphelps
    Options
    Yep. I discovered that the only thing that helps me is to get closer to 10 hours of sleep and time it so that I'm sleeping when my body naturally makes best use of its sleep cycles. Doesn't happen on weekdays but on weekends it helps a ton. I've had all my bloodwork run multiple times and it always comes back normal. Docs just say "you're naturally low energy - get lots of sleep. " in the meantime I just do what I can. Sometimes going for a jog is energizing - on those days I push myself to be more active. Some days I'm beat by dinnertime just getting through my day and those days I rest. Best wishes to you!

It definitely sounds like we are in a similar situation. It sucks that they can't figure out what the exact deal is! Thanks for your support and words :)
  • kileedphelps
    Options

What has your doctor said?

Not a whole lot of anything. Like I said in another comment, I've talked to multiple doctors and no one can figure it out exactly. I drink unsweetened iced coffees daily and even those done help at all. I was taking the iron pills at my doctors request but have since stopped since they weren't helping.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Talk to your doctor. If you're sleeping 8 hours a day and you're always tired then there's something else going on.
    50extra wrote: »

Nope they were suggested by my doctor!

Did your doctor schedule a follow-up appointment so your iron levels could be retested after supplementing a while? If not then make one.

There are so many reasons your sleep quality could be affected or you could need more sleep. It might be serious. It might be not-so-serious. You need to see a doctor.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Have you had a sleep study? Sleep apnea does not always show up in blood work or can be mistaken for anemia (low blood oxygenation).