I'm always tired!

Options
2»

Replies

• browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I too have spent years being exhausted despite adequate sleep and perfectly normal blood work. As a last ditch effort my doctor finally tested my parathyroid hormone levels. Turns out that they are high. She is testing me again in 6 months to see if they go any higher and we will go from there but at this moment it looks like I have hyperparathyroidism which, coincidentally, has a lot of the same symptoms of hypothyroidism. Not saying this is what u have but it may be worth a check if you've never had your parathyroid hormone levels checked.
  • angfirst
    angfirst Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I woke up a little earlier each day to exercise, I found myself always tired. I had to switch my workouts to the evening, and that made all the difference. Is there anything you can switch up in your day to see if it is affecting your energy levels?
  • kileedphelps
    kileedphelps Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The one thing that has been holding me back is the fact that I'm always tired. I've taken iron pills, I sleep at least 8 hours a day, I've tried everything! Have any of you guys ever encountered this?

Talk to your doctor. If you're sleeping 8 hours a day and you're always tired then there's something else going on.
    50extra wrote: »
    And did you self medicate with the iron pills?

Nope they were suggested by my doctor!

Did your doctor schedule a follow-up appointment so your iron levels could be retested after supplementing a while? If not then make one.

There are so many reasons your sleep quality could be affected or you could need more sleep. It might be serious. It might be not-so-serious. You need to see a doctor.

I visit my doctor every two months or so but I feel that perhaps he is not taking it seriously. My levels have been retested and there was only a slight increase in my iron level after taking the pills for two months.

• kileedphelps
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Have you had a sleep study? Sleep apnea does not always show up in blood work or can be mistaken for anemia (low blood oxygenation).

I have been considering that! I do have asthma so I'm not sure if that is somehow coming into play. I'll definitely bring that up at my next appointment. Thanks!
  • kileedphelps
    Options
    I too have spent years being exhausted despite adequate sleep and perfectly normal blood work. As a last ditch effort my doctor finally tested my parathyroid hormone levels. Turns out that they are high. She is testing me again in 6 months to see if they go any higher and we will go from there but at this moment it looks like I have hyperparathyroidism which, coincidentally, has a lot of the same symptoms of hypothyroidism. Not saying this is what u have but it may be worth a check if you've never had your parathyroid hormone levels checked.

Huh, I've never even heard of that but I'll definitely bring it up. I will try almost anything to not be tired all the time. Thanks!
  • kileedphelps
    Options
    angfirst wrote: »
    When I woke up a little earlier each day to exercise, I found myself always tired. I had to switch my workouts to the evening, and that made all the difference. Is there anything you can switch up in your day to see if it is affecting your energy levels?

I'm more active later in the day than in the morning so maybe if I reversed that, it might possibly help. I'll give it a go!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Do you take vitamins? I have found iodine to be very helpful with energy levels. I have pure iodine in a liquid form. I also take liquid Vit D and Vit B.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Back many moons ago, I did a lifestyle change in support of my husband (pretty much what I am doing right now). Rigorous weight lifting 3x/week, HIIT 3x/week, 6 meals a day of protein the size of your palm and complex carb the size of your fist and low fat. This was pre-internet (or beginnings of internet). I know the dinosaur age. Anyway, I didn't have this nifty tool to log my food. About 8 weeks in, I was so exhausted I wanted to cry every morning because I could barely get out of bed. I could hardly function and had to abandon the exercise and diet. I wasn't trying to lose weight, just be healthier.

As I've picked it back up again, this time with logging I quickly realized I was NOT getting enough calories for the amount of physical exertion I was doing the first time around. Add working 3 jobs (one manual labor) and going to school full time with a 2 year old at home and it was a recipe for disaster. I'm still not a big eater, but I have pretty much doubled my portions to what I would have done without logging. I'm 8 weeks in again and so far so good. Also, I'm a 10hr a day sleeper as well. I rarely get it, but it's what my body naturally craves.
  • crazebeck
    crazebeck Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and am always sleepy, achy, etc. Now the meds they have me on made me gain every bit of the weight I lost back in just three months. Trying to find a way to bounce back.
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If a doctor has cleared you of medical reasons then take a look at what you eat and drink, and when you consume it. Energy is affected by so many things!! Make sure you are drinking enough water, balancing your meals every 3-4 hours with lean protein, vitamin rich veggies, complex carbs and healthy fats. Also, I'm a firm believer that a little bit of caffeine goes a long way andddd it canbe part of a healthy diet!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,980 Member
    Options
    I have B-12 anemia. I've been taking monthly injections for about 12 years. It has helped me. I'm still tired some, but not like I was before. You could ask your doctor to check your B-12 levels.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options

This was my question.
    There's probably a plethora of things that can cause this, and we can all speculate about this, that and the other thing with our non-professional guesses. Perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order?

Definitely see your doctor. Iron is nothing to mess with and can cause liver damage and gastrointestinal hemorrhage, among other things. One of the first symptoms of Iron overdose is lethargy.
  • pamuyamakene
    pamuyamakene Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you've been prescribed iron, it could be iron deficiency anemia. This will definitely make you feel tired.if you've switched up your diet a bit, like reduced carbs initially you'll feel tired. It depndeds on how Kong you've been feeling like this. Do you rely on caffeine it can cause you to crash later and feelvo exhausted . so try to take a look at these questions. Try to get enough green leafy veggies like spinach, okra, for iron le dates are a good source too, as as the lean meats. Finally of you still feel tired do mention it to your doc ! Feel better soon!
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    As someone else has said, check what you are eating. I have anxiety and there are certain things that I avoid because they can make my anxious, or very fatigued. For example, I cannot eat mashed potatoes. If I do, I know that I will be feeling really really tired afterwards.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Try going to a naturopathic Doctor & bring your blood work results & your MFP food & exercise diary with you. Wonder if you have adrenal fatigue?
  • lizlemon4
    lizlemon4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would go get yourself a vitamin B complex and magnesium supplements, drink lots of water and you should see a vast improvement
  • lmflorhy
    lmflorhy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water. Also green tea works great along with good diet :)
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm that way too because I have lupus. Started drinking Lipton Green Tea with Dragonfruit and Melon. I used to hate tea, but now I love it. It keeps me full and awake. I also take a One A Day for Women with Energy, which also helps.

Megan I have Lupus too. I'm not a huge fan of tea, but might try the Dragonfruit one if I can get it in the UK.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a well balanced (with lots of fruits and veggies) diet? Perhaps you are tired because you're body is under fueled?
  • kileedphelps
    Options

This was my question.
    There's probably a plethora of things that can cause this, and we can all speculate about this, that and the other thing with our non-professional guesses. Perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order?

Definitely see your doctor. Iron is nothing to mess with and can cause liver damage and gastrointestinal hemorrhage, among other things. One of the first symptoms of Iron overdose is lethargy.

I answered this question a few comments back!