Cardio before or after weight lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, depends on the intensity of both the cardio and the weights.

For the majority of people it's just personal preference.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

sijomial wrote: »
    Depends on your goals, depends on the intensity of both the cardio and the weights.

I've tried both ways and I actually need the energy boost from my 20 min cardio session to do my best with lifting. I periodically try to do weights first and feel the lack of energy. My friends tell me I'm doing it wrong but I feel like my body likes it this way. I get a good mod intense interval cardio session in and still do a good heavy sets lifting session too. The only difference is how I feel while doing it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Yup this.

When my goal was getting as much weight on the bar and lifting it I did that first.

Now that I have been lifting for almost 3 years and my goal is to maintain what I have I do what I want to first.

Except on DL day...I do those first always...and sometimes my squats first depends no how I am feeling.
  • cor306
    cor306 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just my logic but, weights first...you don't want to be drained trying to lift something that could hurt you. Cardio second...Once the sugar is gone from your muscles then your body will look to fat for the energy. Time of day and what you eat makes a difference in your performance as well.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,267 Member
    Options
    If I do cardio first, I guarantee I'm still going to lift.

If I do lifting first, I pretty much guarantee I will NOT do cardio.

So if I want to get cardio in, I have to do it first. But then, I don't do cardio to exhaustion, just an easy jog of a mile or a couple km on the rowing machine, just enough to warm up muscles, get the heart moving a little bit, start to breathe a little harder. Aka warm up for lifting.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer told me to do a small warm up of like 5-10 min on treadmill just normal pace. Then weights and then regular cardio. But idk...I went to the gym like 3 times. I just do like work out videos and stuff now because it is easier and on those it kind of mixes it up. Like some cardio, some weights, more cardio, more weights, more cardio.