Running question

Options
2»

Replies

• _MissBrie
    _MissBrie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    _MissBrie wrote: »

Usually, when I am doing intervals, I am doing about 15 min of running total. But I am running a lot faster. I just decided to jog 15 minutes straight this time.. come to think of it, I did feel super awkward running that slow, so I wonder if I was just off because of that? I think I may need to up the pace

So if you've gone from 6-7 minutes of running in a session to a total of c22 minutes of running you've significantly increased your training load in a single session. Couple that with poor form, as you've alluded to, then I'd suggest that a simple overuse injury is the issue rather than anything more esoteric like ITB Syndrome.

Rest it until it goes away, and if you fancy trying to run for longer then build up to it. Do three sets of five minutes with minute walk breaks, rather than one of 15.

It's not out of the question that your form when you're running faster isn't really helpful, if you're n ot used to running long then you're potentially overstriding or your upper body posture needs a bit of attention.

Thank you :) I will try the shorter duration. I thought since I didn't have a problem with breathing or anything I could run a measly 15 minutes lol but apparently I still have some building up to do!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Depends on where exactly the pain is. . . IT is the most likely culprit, I agree.

When I have IT issues, it's a sign I need new shoes.

Little known tip: wall sits can help alleviate chronic IT associated pain. . .
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Concrete. Its harder than treadmill, so the impact is harder. Try some grass or dirt road next or go to a stadium. And take it easy when running outdoors. Its harder but less boring and I prefer it. Put some ice on those knees

I don't actually run outdoors though.. maybe I am misunderstanding? Are you telling me to go run outdoors?

I think that poster misunderstood your original post thinking you said you normally are on a treadmill but this time you weren't . . .

In any event the thing I've learned about running and knee/ankle/general joint pain is that knee (or other joint) pain is often the sign of pain, but not the source of pain. So if your hips aren't aligned because they're too tight or you're overpronating or something the pain comes out at the knees. The best bet (and it's helpful if you have benefits) is to go to physio . . . that is if you want to keep running. They can, based on your gait and other factors, narrow down why you're experiencing pain and then work with you to get that pain minimized.

Good luck, and happy running :)
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    Depends on where exactly the pain is. . . IT is the most likely culprit, I agree.

When I have IT issues, it's a sign I need new shoes.

Little known tip: wall sits can help alleviate chronic IT associated pain. . .

Very kool tid bit of information . . . did not know that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Concrete. Its harder than treadmill, so the impact is harder. Try some grass or dirt road next or go to a stadium. And take it easy when running outdoors. Its harder but less boring and I prefer it. Put some ice on those knees

I don't actually run outdoors though.. maybe I am misunderstanding? Are you telling me to go run outdoors?

It was confusing -- I thought you meant on the treadmill, but understand how it could have been read to mean you ran outside for 30 minutes. Sometimes when people are used to the treadmill they slam their feet down too hard for the concrete.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    over-striding. Taking smaller more frequent steps was a huge change, as well as taking a day off between running sessions.

This was going to be my guess too.

Really, knee pain could be anything (and in women is very often really due to hip issues -- it was for me).

I'd suggest a few things: Work up to longer runs a bit more gradually. Form seems a likely culprit. What I find on the treadmill is it can be easy to mess up your form by running too fast for the speed (which you may have been doing if used to running faster intervals) and choking up too close to the front. Relax and run more easily (or speed up if you must, but learning to run easy is a good skill).

Another form thing is the overstriding, which I also think is easy to do on the treadmill (although I hurt my knee because of doing it outdoors). People think longer strides are faster (which they aren't if they are too long for your leg -- better to go shorter and quicker as it's smoother). In your case I can see the slower speed on a treadmill resulting in slow long strides. Just think about cadence when running and it might help.

If you have the opportunity the physio isn't a bad idea. As you can see, there are a million things it could be.
  • MrWilson6
    MrWilson6 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It's been mentioned a few times on this thread, but it could be a combination of things. I am currently dealing with "runner's knee" myself, which is ultimately due to a lack of stretching (and getting old). Your situation could be bad form, old shoes, the wrong type of shoe for your gate, IT band, week glutes and hip flexors (which I was surprised to hear for myself).

If you have tension bands, you can use them to strengthen your hip flexors, but also work on your hamstrings and glute muscles. If you have a foam roller, use that on your IT bands as well.

This type of issue is more common than you think.

Good luck!
  • _MissBrie
    _MissBrie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help!! I will put all of this knowledge to work!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I had knee pain about six months in when I started running longer distances at a time (as opposed to intervals on a treadmill like you've been doing). I went to PT and was told to strength my hip flexors (think clam shell exercise-I can't describe it but google it) and hip hikes. And stretching-running can really tighten up your muscles, so stretch, especially the hip flexors. I also went to a free "Good form running clinic" at my local running store-they talked about various aspects of running form to prevent injury, like cadence, foot strike, upper body positioning, arms, etc. If you want to do more of this kind of running, perhaps there are similar classes where you are?