April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I've just read an article on a UK newspaper website which analysed the training patterns 12-weeks pre-race of those who ran the London Marathon last year. When reading it, some of their stats really surprised me:

8ktx7xm04k1p.jpeg

Some of that weekly mileage seems really low to me, especially for the 4-5hours. I pretty much do that much now over 3 runs but I know a marathon would destroy my body. I don't think I'd make it round! Or so I thought, but maybe that shows I'm wrong and underestimate my body? And according to that and my training plan, my marathon next year should be about 3 hours, which it absolutely will not! Or maybe it will? I'm now confused, the theory doesn't seem to match reality, according to this?

I guess I was just generally surprised to see what people really do and how they perform. Now I don't know what to think about my training...

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2016/apr/21/sub-3-marathon-data-strava-london

I can tell you that I ran on average over 50 miles a week for at least 2 years now and still have not sub-3 yet. I am more on the lines of 3-4 hours and I ran way more than 27 miles.

I think that graphic is grostly optimistic and does not represent reality.

Agree that this is optimistically low. The heart of my training for Boston was 60+ miles per week, and I had no realistic chance at finishing below 3 hours. The serious marathon runners I know tell me they peak anywhere from 50 to 70 miles per week in marathon training; most of them run between 3 and 4 hours. Every marathon runner I know who hears that I peaked at 41 miles per week before Buffalo agrees that this was incredibly light for marathon training. Of course, I wasn't really training at the time.

The chart really looks more like a summary of what the final taper week mileage should be. Granted, my final taper week was 39 miles; but I was in an admittedly aggressive training plan that peaked at 68 miles per week.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 That's funny. Considering there's 66 books in the Bible, it doesn't make much sense to list a verse and chapter with no book! But I have to admit, I kept seeing these cars around town with oval stickers that said 4.12. I finally googled "What race is 4.12 miles long?" and got no answer. I finally got close enough one day to read the fine print on a sticker and it is for the name of a local youth group ministry called "412" but I still don't know what the 412 stands for! I honestly think it may just be the address on the building they meet in.

I just googled "4:12 verse" and found a bunch of references to Timothy 4:12 Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.

That makes a lot of sense.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I've just read an article on a UK newspaper website which analysed the training patterns 12-weeks pre-race of those who ran the London Marathon last year. When reading it, some of their stats really surprised me:

8ktx7xm04k1p.jpeg

Some of that weekly mileage seems really low to me, especially for the 4-5hours. I pretty much do that much now over 3 runs but I know a marathon would destroy my body. I don't think I'd make it round! Or so I thought, but maybe that shows I'm wrong and underestimate my body? And according to that and my training plan, my marathon next year should be about 3 hours, which it absolutely will not! Or maybe it will? I'm now confused, the theory doesn't seem to match reality, according to this?

I guess I was just generally surprised to see what people really do and how they perform. Now I don't know what to think about my training...

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2016/apr/21/sub-3-marathon-data-strava-london

I can tell you that I ran on average over 50 miles a week for at least 2 years now and still have not sub-3 yet. I am more on the lines of 3-4 hours and I ran way more than 27 miles.

I think that graphic is grostly optimistic and does not represent reality.

Agree that this is optimistically low. The heart of my training for Boston was 60+ miles per week, and I had no realistic chance at finishing below 3 hours. The serious marathon runners I know tell me they peak anywhere from 50 to 70 miles per week in marathon training; most of them run between 3 and 4 hours. Every marathon runner I know who hears that I peaked at 41 miles per week before Buffalo agrees that this was incredibly light for marathon training. Of course, I wasn't really training at the time.

The chart really looks more like a summary of what the final taper week mileage should be. Granted, my final taper week was 39 miles; but I was in an admittedly aggressive training plan that peaked at 68 miles per week.

A teammate of mine can run a 2:55-3:00 marathon. She runs upwards of 90-100 miles per week.
    A friend of mine is hoping for a sub-3 this weekend. He runs 40 miles per week without fail. Including during tapering (which I've tried to convince him to actually taper, but he is "streaking" with 40 mpw: no more, no less).
    Lesson: the marathon is a weird beast and there's no guaranteed strategy/mileage for running a certain time.

That said: I doubt anyone is "training" with the relatvely small mileage on the graphic. Why would anyone run a marathon when their weekly mileage is barely more than OR LESS THAN the race distance itself? IDK where they got that data, but it seems sorely misinformed and incredibly low.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 check out Psalms 13:1 and 26:2. For a runner, 13:1 made me laugh a little, they both fit a little for runners

Psalm 13:1 For the director of music. A psalm of David. How long, LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? <<< now that is funny. LOL

Psalm 26:2 Test me, LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind; <<< Now that is pretty awesome.

Thanks for sharing. :-)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 check out Psalms 13:1 and 26:2. For a runner, 13:1 made me laugh a little, they both fit a little for runners

Psalm 13:1 For the director of music. A psalm of David. How long, LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? <<< now that is funny. LOL

Psalm 26:2 Test me, LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind; <<< Now that is pretty awesome.

Thanks for sharing. :-)

My original thought was to check out proverbs, but I went to Psalms real quick, saw those and just had to laugh....I've felt like both those verses apply on some long runs.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 That's funny. Considering there's 66 books in the Bible, it doesn't make much sense to list a verse and chapter with no book! But I have to admit, I kept seeing these cars around town with oval stickers that said 4.12. I finally googled "What race is 4.12 miles long?" and got no answer. I finally got close enough one day to read the fine print on a sticker and it is for the name of a local youth group ministry called "412" but I still don't know what the 412 stands for! I honestly think it may just be the address on the building they meet in.

I just googled "4:12 verse" and found a bunch of references to Timothy 4:12 Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.

That makes a lot of sense.

That could be it!
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/4 : 3.2 Miles
    3/4 : 7.0 Miles
    9/4 : 3.1 Miles
    16/4: 3.7 Miles
    17/4: 6.3 Miles
    19/4: 5.1 Miles
    21/4: 5.1 Miles
    23/4: 7.1 Miles
    25/4: 5.1 Miles
    27/4: 5.5 Miles

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I just realized that I only have 2 scheduled runs left this month.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    My OCD kicked in so, since Strava didn't let me edit the day/time of my run, I deleted it, downloaded the GPX file from Garmin, where I had corrected the day/time of the run, then uploaded my morning run, so it actually reflects when the run happened.

May reason I did though was, so when I go back later, like next year, I can see my daily running without having to remember when the run actually was...yeah....that kind of day
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    4/01: Off, rest day
    4/02: 12 miles, long and easy
    4/03: 8K race - 36:36 (7:22 pace) - new PR! + 1 mile warm up
    4/04: 4 miles, easy
    4/05: 5 miles, easy
    4/06: 5 miles total, 2 miles @ 7:38 (LT) pace (am)
    4/06: 4 miles, easy (pm)
    4/07: 5 miles, easy
    4/08: Off, rest day
    4/09: Half Marathon - 1:53:11 - treated as a long run with strong finish
    4/10: 4 miles, easy
    4/11: 6 miles, easy
    4/12: 7 miles total, 3x1 mile repeats @ 7:19 pace
    4/13: 6 miles, easy (am)
    4/13: 4 miles, easy (pm)
    4/14: 8 miles total, 5 miles @ 7:45 (goal HM) pace
    4/15: Off, rest day
    4/16: 6 miles, easy
    4/17: 13 miles, long and easy
    4/18: 6 miles, easy
    4/19: 7 miles total, 3x1 mile repeats @ 5K effort
    4/20: 5 miles, easy (am)
    4/20: 4 miles, easy (pm)
    4/21: 6 miles, easy
    4/22: Off, rest day (+ core)
    4/23: 7 miles, easy
    4/24: 5K race - 23:05 + 2 miles warm up
    4/25: Off, letting my knee heal up + core/hip exercises
    4/26: Off + strength training
    4/27: Off + core/hip exercises
    Total: 148.76 miles

I'm now on day 3 of no running, and I feel like I'm slowly going insane o.0 The good news is that my knee is feeling a lot better today. Not 100% pain free, but very milk pain that is only there some of the time. Hamstring and hip both feel completely back to normal too so I'm pretty excited about that. Assuming things don't worsen over the course of the day, I'm going to try a short run tomorrow to see how things feel. I can't even begin to explain how much I'm looking forward to it!!

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    04/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K) 36:36 - new 8K PR!
    04/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon 1:53:11 - took it nice and easy
    04/24 - Ravenswood Run (5K) 23:05 - stupid knee
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    07/21 - Esprit de She 5K
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @PoppetsMaster welcome back again. We've missed you.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Finally took a much needed rest day yesterday as I know I need to better respect my taper plan. Still, in utter violation of it, I ended up joining my tri team for a bike/run brick, riding 33 miles at 23-24mph (paceline) before doing my final interval workout in the hot Florida sun. On the plus side, my new marathon flats (bright red version of my usual racing flats) worked out well, and feel close to broken in. Still, my 3rd + 4th 5 minute threshold intervals were well below planned pace, but given the sun/heat and proceeding 33 mile bike ride, I'm ok with that. Planning a short recovery run tomorrow, rest day Friday, then a tune-up run Saturday going into Sunday's race.

4/1 - 0.5 mile
    4/2 - 6.5 miles
    4/3 - 20 miles
    4/5 - 4 miles
    4/6 - 8 miles
    4/8 - 2 miles
    4/10 - 13.1 miles (Ironman Florida 70.3, 1:40:14 run, 5:07 total time)
    4/13 - 9 miles
    4/14 - 21.5 miles
    4/15 - 7 miles
    4/17 - 13.5 miles
    4/18 - 6.5 miles
    4/19 - 8 miles
    4/20 - 7.5 miles
    4/21 - 8 miles
    4/23 - 6 miles
    4/24 - 7 miles
    4/25 - 5.5 miles
    4/27 - 3.5 miles

Total: 157 miles
    Goal: 160 miles
    Remaining: 3 miles

Upcoming races:
    5/1 - Pittsburgh Marathon
    9/25 - Ironman 70.3 Augusta
    10/9 - Chicago Marathon
    11/5 - Ironman Florida

@louubelle16 - Interesting graphic. I would have assumed the sub 3 crowd would be closer to 60+, but the UK is full of skinny people (at least skinnier than what I see on courses around here), which definitely helps with breaking that sort of barrier.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    4/27 - 5 miles

56 of 100 miles

exercise.png

@poppetsmaster welcome back you have been missed

There is a car here at work with stickers on the back 50K 26.2 and 13.1 the 13.1 cracks me up because is actually says 13.1 x 9 love it.

Upcoming Races:

Steeplechase 8K - 5/7
    Cotton Row 10K - 5/30

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Going to try this again. :| This is Lonewolfrunner aka Morningghost14... Real life kicks *kitten*. Especially mine.... but working through it. I have been staying up with my running fortunately, and I feel decently ready for my 50K on May 14. I will just follow along this month (I have about 140 miles so far), but will get my ticker going again for May. I have missed you guys.
    Welcome back, and kick some butt on that 50k!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    There is a car here at work with stickers on the back 50K 26.2 and 13.1 the 13.1 cracks me up because is actually says 13.1 x 9 love it

That's cool, I haven't seen a sticker telling how many HM, etc.
    ariceroni wrote: »

I'm now on day 3 of no running, and I feel like I'm slowly going insane o.0 The good news is that my knee is feeling a lot better today. Not 100% pain free, but very milk pain that is only there some of the time. Hamstring and hip both feel completely back to normal too so I'm pretty excited about that. Assuming things don't worsen over the course of the day, I'm going to try a short run tomorrow to see how things feel. I can't even begin to explain how much I'm looking forward to it!!

Good luck!

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Going to try this again. :| This is Lonewolfrunner aka Morningghost14... Real life kicks *kitten*. Especially mine.... but working through it. I have been staying up with my running fortunately, and I feel decently ready for my 50K on May 14. I will just follow along this month (I have about 140 miles so far), but will get my ticker going again for May. I have missed you guys.

I was just thinking about you as I (didn't) run in the rain this morning. I'm glad to see you back! :)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    This morning my calf and hip abductor felt just about normal. The 2 minutes of jogging up and down my hallway while waiting for my eggs to cook was perfectly normal, with the most noticeable sensations being from my chronically weak ankles. I regarded it as good news that the ankles were now speaking more loudly than the hip abductor or the calf. Decided today would be a day for running easy. 4 miles or 6 miles seemed plausible. I packed my gym bag for work, thinking if I felt great I'd go do a 6 mile group run after work and if I felt less great I'd just go home and run 4 miles.

Then at lunch I got out on the uneven pavement and felt the hip abductor while walking. Tested running 100 meters three times, on a gentle decline, on a gentle incline, and on a level surface after warming up some more. Bottom line is, I'm better than yesterday; but not good enough that running any real distance is advisable. The hip abductor feels perfectly normal walking the smooth, level floor at the office; but that's not where I would run. So this will be my third rest day in a row. Maybe I can run tomorrow, maybe not.

In the past, I would have talked myself into running today. Now, I'm more conservative and either less stupid or more of a hypochondriac, take your pick. But being able to run regularly for a long time is more important than being able to run today, and I think that if I start running for real I'll go longer than I should.

I looked this morning, and the last time I had two consecutive non-running days was November 2-3, 2015. That was a 2 day drive home after running Good Life Halfsy in Lincoln, Nebraska on November 1. The drive didn't go so well, and I didn't have time to run after I got home. I didn't look far enough back to see when I last had 3 consecutive non-running days; but since I'd been running 4 days a week before Good Life, I'm sure it was quite a while ago.

Patience, Grasshopper. Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp -I'm not sure that "jogging up and down my hallway while waiting for my eggs to cook" would be considered "perfectly normal" in most circles. I guess you are lucky you have us!

Congrats on listening to your body and not pushing it. Hard to do, but so worth it in the long run.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,093 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    01/04 4 miles
    04/04 5 miles
    05/04 4 miles
    06/04 4 miles
    08/04 5 miles
    09/04 4 miles
    11/04 4 miles
    13/04 4 miles