• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Do I care? Nope. I just run.
    Got that right. Just run.
  • goin2cruise
    goin2cruise Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    3 more on Sunday afternoon, then I did a little cross training. Total for month. 11. This week I will go Wed and Saturday. Did I say 24 was the goal? Going to crush it!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I guess that's basically what I've been doing this month. Like Friday should've been 7.5 miles but I did only 3.1 to test out my knee and honestly it felt fine. Then Saturday I did 5 and again, fine. But I have pain IN BETWEEN running and that worries me. I hate seeing my mileage falling off. I've been tracking in weeks since Friday Jan 1 since I resumed running that day. Week 12 I ran 20.6, week 13 was 17.3, week 14 was 11.75, and now if I don't run tomorrow, week 15 will be 8.1 miles :( I'm freaking out that I'm going in reverse due to shortening long runs to short runs and skipping some days all together.

No, I haven't tried physical therapy. I probably should.

I've gotten in the habit of asking myself during a run if I wanna rest tomorrow or run. It seems to help regulate that "too much today". Honestly, i f I have four 5 mile runs- none of them are comparable. The efforts are always different. So don't worry about your mileage falling off. Add some walks if you need too, maybe cross train. If you do lose some of your conditioning, it'll be easier to regain the second time around.

So the pain you have between running makes you think you shouldn't run? Do you try to get out there anyhow? I get pain and it get better moving, worse laying around. But mines not running related pain. Some pains you can work through while still running. It's a judgement call. If it hurts to run after your warm up- I'd bail on it. (Sorry if I'm off point- I may not be awake yet)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I guess that's basically what I've been doing this month. Like Friday should've been 7.5 miles but I did only 3.1 to test out my knee and honestly it felt fine. Then Saturday I did 5 and again, fine. But I have pain IN BETWEEN running and that worries me. I hate seeing my mileage falling off. I've been tracking in weeks since Friday Jan 1 since I resumed running that day. Week 12 I ran 20.6, week 13 was 17.3, week 14 was 11.75, and now if I don't run tomorrow, week 15 will be 8.1 miles :( I'm freaking out that I'm going in reverse due to shortening long runs to short runs and skipping some days all together.

I've gotten in the habit of asking myself during a run if I wanna rest tomorrow or run. It seems to help regulate that "too much today". Honestly, i f I have four 5 mile runs- none of them are comparable. The efforts are always different. So don't worry about your mileage falling off. Add some walks if you need too, maybe cross train. If you do lose some of your conditioning, it'll be easier to regain the second time around.

So the pain you have between running makes you think you shouldn't run? Do you try to get out there anyhow? I get pain and it get better moving, worse laying around. But mines not running related pain. Some pains you can work through while still running. It's a judgement call. If it hurts to run after your warm up- I'd bail on it. (Sorry if I'm off point- I may not be awake yet)

I really can run on the knee without pain. But then when I'm not running, I have these pains and I'm just afraid I'm gonna make it all worse and then I WILL have pain running. Does that make sense? Because last year with the pain deep in my glute at my sit bone, at first it hurt the day after a run - then it hurt the same day as the run - then it would start hurting 3 miles into a run - and finally the last straw was when I had pain during my walking warmup and I knew I had to stop and heal that issue and took 8 weeks off. I'm trying not to do that again where I push and push until it's out of control. I just don't want another 8 weeks off if I can take 2 weeks or 2 days right now and stop the knee pain before it gets worse.

But I'm definitely not a just stop doing anything and lay around person. I will walk, cycle, do indoor aerobics, strength training, whatever I can do to keep moving :)
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Joining late, but that doesn't mean I haven't been running. :) I'm ramping up for a half marathon in October. I know it's a good ways away. The sooner I start, the easier it will be.

4/1 - 3 miles
    4/2 - 5m
    4/4 - 3m
    4/5 - 4m
    4/6 - 4m
    4/8 - 3m
    4/9 - 5m
    4/11 - 3m

Total to date: 30 miles
    Apr Goal: 85 miles (35.2% complete)
  • Elise4270
    Options

I really can run on the knee without pain. But then when I'm not running, I have these pains and I'm just afraid I'm gonna make it all worse and then I WILL have pain running. Does that make sense? Because last year with the pain deep in my glute at my sit bone, at first it hurt the day after a run - then it hurt the same day as the run - then it would start hurting 3 miles into a run - and finally the last straw was when I had pain during my walking warmup and I knew I had to stop and heal that issue and took 8 weeks off. I'm trying not to do that again where I push and push until it's out of control. I just don't want another 8 weeks off if I can take 2 weeks or 2 days right now and stop the knee pain before it gets worse.

But I'm definitely not a just stop doing anything and lay around person. I will walk, cycle, do indoor aerobics, strength training, whatever I can do to keep moving :)

Yes that makes sense. I have some knee niggles between runs too, IT band I'm sure. If it's not bothering me running, I'll keep running. But my days running are numbered- so I may be a bit reckless.

From my experience, if you've had a bout of deep gluteal pain- see a PT and work on potential muscle imbalance. It sounds similar to what I'm experiencing, but I'm no doctor and when all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail. So to me, knee is hip alignment especially after deep gluteal pain.

• greenolivetree
    Options

Yes that makes sense. I have some knee niggles between runs too, IT band I'm sure. If it's not bothering me running, I'll keep running. But my days running are numbered- so I may be a bit reckless.

From my experience, if you've had a bout of deep gluteal pain- see a PT and work on potential muscle imbalance. It sounds similar to what I'm experiencing, but I'm no doctor and when all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail. So to me, knee is hip alignment especially after deep gluteal pain.

I've had 2 issues with glute pain, right side. After my Feb 2015 sciatica flare up, I had such a knot in my right glute, I could barely cross my ankle over my opposite knee. I finally worked that out with a tennis ball. Later I had pain in a different part which I determined to be my sit bone and that's when I took 8 weeks off because I read horror stories about that one. LOL I do lots of strength training but I'm sure PT is probably in my future if I want to run. Thanks for the talk :)
  • greenolivetree
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Lord007 Welcome!

@WhatMeRunning Love your attitude :) I'm not into races, but I'm so competitive (in my head) with other runners I know "in real life". I wish I could just chill more!

If anybody is wondering, my excessive posting today may be keeping my mind off my dentist appt in 40 mins. LOL
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @greenolivetree I have piriformis syndrome, pudendal nerve entrapment , and hamstring origin tendonosis. I'm facing two surgeries. It's took me 3 years to find help. It's been horrible. Hope you find answers.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@greenolivetree see if this fits the problem you are having.

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sciatica/what-piriformis-syndrome

My PT tells me that most of the time knee pain in the a man comes from the ankle and knee pain in a woman from the hips.

18 months ago I thought the pain I was having in my butt cheek and down the back of my leg was a pulled muscle, then I thought it was piriformis syndrome. Finally went to the doctor when I could hardly sit in the car long enough to drive to work and it turns out I have a compressed disk in my back that presses on my sciatic nerve. 3 days at the PT and I was pain free. I would have it checked out if I were you, you can't fix something until you know what it is.
  • greenolivetree
    edited April 2016
    Options

My PT tells me that most of the time knee pain in the a man comes from the ankle and knee pain in a woman from the hips.

18 months ago I thought the pain I was having in my butt cheek and down the back of my leg was a pulled muscle, then I thought it was piriformis syndrome. Finally went to the doctor when I could hardly sit in the car long enough to drive to work and it turns out I have a compressed disk in my back that presses on my sciatic nerve. 3 days at the PT and I was pain free. I would have it checked out if I were you, you can't fix something until you know what it is.

I have been having the low back pain for years and when I say low I mean LOW. It flares up when I twist wrong reaching for something, etc. I saw my Dr last Feb when I had numbness all the way down to my right foot. He said I had a muscle strain and gave me a muscle relaxer, which I took off and on for months until it was gone but that knot in my glute kept coming back. I researched and learned about piriformis syndrome and that's when I finally used a tennis ball to get that knot out. I feel like it's switched sides now and my low back issue is affecting my left side, just in a different way. I had weakness in that left leg the week after Easter and I feel like that led to the knee pain. Aargh.

It's frustrating that I can do so much, yet little thing aggravate my back. Like 10 mins pulling weeds and I'm in pain for 2 days.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @greenolivetree

I no longer have reflexes at the knee, and have lost partial use of my first 3 toes due to nerve compression. Find a good hip surgeon when you're ready. There is no tried and true fix- it's all new research. Steroid shots and pt helped me tremendously.

Good luck at the dentist..
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @Elise4270 Thanks! And good luck with your situation as well.
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Jumping in mid-month!

I've been running semi-regularly, just short runs on my lunch hour. But I'd like to start ramping up to a race later this year. Planned runs for the rest of the month come out at 23miles. Ready set go!

exercise.png
  • KoraMT
    KoraMT Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to everyone who raced this weekend!

@WhatMeRunning I'm right there with you. As long as I am finishing the race, I don't really care about my time. At least not at this point.

My husband left for a month for training, and my best friend who watches my kids while I run had to suddenly go out of town for 2 week. I will not let this stop me from running. I just got in 3.3 miles during lunch :smiley: I guess that's what's going to happen for the next few weeks, otherwise I'm not going to get any mileage in.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options

I have been having the low back pain for years and when I say low I mean LOW. It flares up when I twist wrong reaching for something, etc. I saw my Dr last Feb when I had numbness all the way down to my right foot. He said I had a muscle strain and gave me a muscle relaxer, which I took off and on for months until it was gone but that knot in my glute kept coming back. I researched and learned about piriformis syndrome and that's when I finally used a tennis ball to get that knot out. I feel like it's switched sides now and my low back issue is affecting my left side, just in a different way. I had weakness in that left leg the week after Easter and I feel like that led to the knee pain. Aargh.

It's frustrating that I can do so much, yet little thing aggravate my back. Like 10 mins pulling weeds and I'm in pain for 2 days.

That is so frustrating. I have a friend who has had a few back surgeries and she said the same thing, it's the littlest things that give her so much pain.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    1.4 - rest
    2.4 - hike out to Frankenstein (missed cycling)
    3.4 - 13.4 km - 5 super slow, 7 hills and stuff (new shoes!)
    4.4 - Should have been gym, was rest.
    5.4 - 8.4 km - hard time focusing on the run. Pace fine, despite a lot of stop and go.
    6.4 - 5.7 km - 'fast' and ugly - PR'ed 5K
    7.4 - missed run
    8.4 - travel day to Paris too tired for catching up on running after the drive.
    9.4 - 8.3 km in Versailles (pictures on Strava.) slow but up one point on VO2Max.
    10.4 - planned 15 - leg was iffy, pushed to next day
    11.4 - 15 km - should have been long slow run, actually PR'ed 10K (whoops, felt like a LSR)

total 50.8 km April goal 140 km

Running thoughts: concerned about my leg, spent half the day in compression socks, which seems to have helped.
    My Garmin was doing funny things, so it didn't link to my HR strap but it got the GPS stuff.

And this was a beautiful run.

A composite shot. Paris La Villette on one the canals to who knows where and back...

• halliepressley
    halliepressley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give this a try! I haven't kept track of my exercise much so I'll start a with 25miles, I kind of have no idea what to start with!

exercise.png

• rwelch71
    rwelch71 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hello all. Just getting back into running after a 3 year hiatus. I'm excited to find a group here since I mainly have to run on my own. This month I am in for 75 miles and want to work up to 100+ per month. I also have at least 30 lbs to loose so we'll see how that goes. So far I've run 29 miles this month, 7.5 miles today.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @EvgeniZyntx my stupid company is blocking your picture, I'll need to look at it tonight