April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 How did you like the GU? I'm starting to look at foods while running with my plans to start taking my runs out to 1:30:00
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 How did you like the GU? I'm starting to look at foods while running with my plans to start taking my runs out to 1:30:00

I like the GU. I had it without water and it was fine. Just little bit at a time. I'd really planned on 7-8 miles, but my runs are so unpredictable. Think I'll just start carrying it in case I hit that 4-5 mile mark and feel up for more. I can eat Buffalo chicken wings and a red bull and run.

I went with GU because it's often the fuel provided at races and it's easy to find. I do like sport beans too!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I like the GU. I had it without water and it was fine. Just little bit at a time. I'd really planned on 7-8 miles, but my runs are so unpredictable. Think I'll just start carrying it in case I hit that 4-5 mile mark and feel up for more. I can eat Buffalo chicken wings and a red bull and run.

I went with GU because it's often the fuel provided at races and it's easy to find. I do like sport beans too!

Thanks for the info. There's no place near here that sells running food, so it's all Online ordering, and there's no good way to get stuff in small amounts. I might just have to get a GU sample box from Amazon and try it out.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Apr 01    103.7    103.7  April Fools!!
    Apr 03      6.2      6.2  Cohasset 10K, PR and 19th in my age group!
    Apr 05      5.3T    11.5
    Apr 06      3.8T    15.3
    Apr 09      6.4     21.7
    Apr 10      5.0     26.7
    Apr 11      3.6T    30.3
    Apr 12      3.8T    34.1

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Thanks for the info. There's no place near here that sells running food, so it's all Online ordering, and there's no good way to get stuff in small amounts. I might just have to get a GU sample box from Amazon and try it out.

I ordered mine online. I've only tried it at races. I wish they had an assorted pack too.
  • MLS1582
    MLS1582 Posts: 71 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I recently ordered the sample GU multipack from amazon. It's not bad. My box had 6 different flavors in it. I've just started adding them to my 5+ mile runs, and it's made a HUGE difference. I don't feel wobbly and drunk at the end of my long runs. Now, I just feel tired.

I did get off my butt and knock out 2.5 miles to make up for yesterday's skipped run. :smile:
  • Elise4270
    Options

Wow, thanks! I was looking on GU site.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Re: fuel -- Personally, I can't stand the texture of GU. It's too thick for me. I prefer Honey Stinger gels and Power Bar gels. Both brands have decent sample packs on Amazon! As a Honey Stinger ambassador, I like to remind people that GU isn't the only option out there if you aren't crazy about the texture, flavors, etc.!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Re: fuel -- Personally, I can't stand the texture of GU. It's too thick for me. I prefer Honey Stinger gels and Power Bar gels. Both brands have decent sample packs on Amazon! As a Honey Stinger ambassador, I like to remind people that GU isn't the only option out there if you aren't crazy about the texture, flavors, etc.!

I'm all about trying new stuff. I'll have to check the ingredients. Thanks!
  • MLS1582
    Options
    @kristinegift I'd only ever heard of GU, but I've now heard a couple people mention Honey Stinger Waffles. This may be my novice showing, but I always thought they were talking about a breakfast food. Can you explain more?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @MLS1582 The waffles are more like a biscuit or soft cookie, but it looks like a waffle! They're honey-based with various flavors (I'm quite partial to the chocolate, but I haven't come across a flavor I've disliked yet!). All their products are honey based (gels, chews, waffles; probably not the protein bars though) and organic, so they digest very well on the go.
  • MLS1582
    Options
    @kristinegift Thanks, I learn something new everyday! I'll have to check it out (I've switched most of my refined sugar out for nectar and honey, so I can see the appeal).
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @kristinegift I may have to try honey stingers first after all your rave reviews of them. And I like the honey base
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I am super excited about the awesome and like buttons! I am also envious of @_nikkiwolf_ 's new shoes.

I had a rough day. My son--who I thought was better--got sent home sick from school. Then, one of my best friends told me she was just diagnosed with cancer. I've been eating nothing but awful in between crying. It was nice to come on here and see some happy things. I love this thread for cheering me up. Running is also good for cheering up, but I didn't get to do too much of it today (see: had to go get sick kid at school).

4/1...5.0 @ 12:00 on the TM (4.0 @ 11:15 and 1.0 walking)
    4/2....3.1 @ 11:45 through the neighborhood. My ankle hurt the first mile or so, especially on the uphill bits--downhill isn't too bad
    4/3...Rest day
    4/4...4.6 @ 11:32 on the rail trail and neighborhood streets
    4/5...2.8 @ 11:50 on the TM--that's 2.3 (just to make it even!) @ 11:15 and .5 at a walk, plus strength training
    4/6...Rest day, but I got to go help out at my son's RunFit club. Next time I'm wearing my own running shoes so I can chase him with a sharp stick so he doesn't walk so much! (That was a joke...don't call CPS or Jeff Galloway...)
    4/7...7.0 @ 11:25 on the TM (This was really 6.25 at 11:05 and .75 walking to cool down)
    4/8...2.0 @ 12:06 (just had a short time to run while the kids were at gym)
    4/9...Unintended rest day. I got dressed to run...that counts for something, right? LOL
    4/10...4.6 @ 13:39 with the slow poke pup. We ran about 3 miles in the 12:00 neighborhood and walked the rest. Well, I walked. He sniffed and did...doggy stuff.
    4/11...3.0 @ 12:00 ish on the basement beheamoth. The kiddos were home sick from school so I was grounded, too.
    4/12...2.25 @ 12:00 on the treadmill and strength training

Upcoming Races:
    4/23 Healthy Steps Community 10K, Burke, VA
    5/22 Run and Ride Kings Dominion 5K or 10K, Doswell, VA (maybe...depends on if I'm recovered from 5/13 surgery or not)
    11/6 Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon, Orlando, FL

exercise.png
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    April Goal: Run often

4/1 couldn't
    4/2 4.05
    4/3 3.15
    4/4 ennui
    4/5 snorkel 3.5 hours
    4/6 6.30
    4/7 3.65
    4/8 5.81
    4/9 rest
    4/10 6.20
    4/11 strength train
    4/12 3.00

Total 31.96

Upcoming races:
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Fast Jeff, Young Jeff, and me.

@MobyCarp I think this is a universal way of tagging people in what ever event you / we are doing. In my local group we have Biker Steve ( $10,000.00 Carbon Fiber Tri-Bike & kit and a $5,000.00 Car ), Old Steve ( he's 18 ), Young Steve ( he's 55 ) and Steve.