April 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    4leighbee wrote: »

I'm a bit torn about the "like" and "awesome" buttons after using them the last couple days. I love that I can acknowledge, praise or otherwise give feedback without adding yet another post to a busy thread. But at the same time it is very impersonal because it does not give that person any clue if anyone gave them a "like" or "awesome" without scrolling back, and even then there is no way to see who hit the buttons. So I almost feel like this option of not replying to people with some simple kudos is almost taking away from part of the positive spirit this thread offers people. Then again, it's still new, so I'm going to keep "liking" and "awesoming" for now.:smile:

I'm feeling the same way about the like/awesome buttons. Needs some tweaking.

Yes and if you tried to click on the like number to see who liked a post, you get a rude message about not being able to like your own post, lol. Guilt, embarrassment... but I wasn't being vain and self-promoting, I promise!! ;)

:p
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited April 2016
    lporter229 wrote: »

I have found myself squeezing my runs in where ever I can these days. My husband and I adopted a new puppy in March and she sure has been keeping us on our toes. I did not realize what a loop she would throw into my daily schedule. Of course, all of the walks and play time are great fun and good exercise, so I'm not really complaining. But on the other hand, I can't wait until our fence is installed!!

A puppy is a new baby in the house--maybe not a human baby, but a baby nonetheless! And babies have a way of throwing off schedules... :)

ETA: It's so cool that you know Covington, as well. It's such a tiny town, but well worth a visit.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    @MNLittleFinn - Go way over. It feels great!

Oh, I'm going to chalk up this mornings incident with the pop tarts as carb loading.

LOL!

I went with my friend to her oncologist today to hear about treatment options. Needless to say, we were both in need of a pick-me-up after, so we went to a restaurant called "Ted's Bulletin" for lunch. On the way out we got *homemade poptarts* for later. I didn't even know such a thing existed. I've eaten half of one already and have a feeling that today might not be able to stay a rest day if I eat the rest!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    One last post from me, not directly running related, but I just need to get it off my chest.

So my friend who has cancer was supposed to go with me when I ran the Princess half in February, but she was having neck troubles and couldn't go. So we planned out this November Wine and Dine trip (bringing along my middle daughter who would turn 18 a few days before) as a sort of "make-up" trip. Now, she'll be recovering from a mastectomy/chemo and won't be able to go. I need to decide whether or not to do a deferment on the race (and try to re-sell my after-party tickets, which were pricey) until the next year or just take my daughter or my husband and go anyway. I'm so torn, because I like Disney, but I wouldn't have signed up for this race so soon after the other one except that she wanted to go. I don't really want to do it without her. :(
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    One last post from me, not directly running related, but I just need to get it off my chest.

So my friend who has cancer was supposed to go with me when I ran the Princess half in February, but she was having neck troubles and couldn't go. So we planned out this November Wine and Dine trip (bringing along my middle daughter who would turn 18 a few days before) as a sort of "make-up" trip. Now, she'll be recovering from a mastectomy/chemo and won't be able to go. I need to decide whether or not to do a deferment on the race (and try to re-sell my after-party tickets, which were pricey) until the next year or just take my daughter or my husband and go anyway. I'm so torn, because I like Disney, but I wouldn't have signed up for this race so soon after the other one except that she wanted to go. I don't really want to do it without her. :(

How does your friend feel about it?
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    April 2016

2/4 - 5.64k
    3/4 6k
    9/4 4K
    13/4 -4.5
    14/4 4.86

25/75

No chat today :neutral:

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @username301 stupid pothole I hope you are okay
    @dheliason great job on the HM
    @shanaber yeah no cast!!!!!
    @MNlittlefinn and @whatmerunning poptarts are the breakfast of runners, and the lunch and the snack. LOL that is why I eat before a race :sunglasses: I'm not a big fan of grape and watermelon.
    @mobycarp that was so awesome of your co workers!!!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited April 2016

I would ask your friend how she feels about it. Personally, I'd defer, especially if you aren't feeling like doing it without her. Plus she may need your support at home post-mast/chemo.

Also, forgot to say a couple days ago in the floods of posts, but I'm really sorry to hear about your friend's cancer. I hope her treatments go well!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    4/1 - 5 miles on the bike around town, 3 mile walk, 45 min strength training
    4/2 - 4.5 mile run, 3 mile walk
    4/3 - rest day
    4/4 - 3 mile run, 23 min strength training
    4/5 - 4.25 mile run
    4/6 - rest day
    4/7 - 20 min light walk
    4/8 - 3.1 run, 1.5 mile walk
    4/9 - 5 mile run, 25 min stretching and foam rolling, 35 min strength training
    4/10 - 1 hour indoor low impact cardio
    4/11 - 1 hour strength training/pilates/stretching/foam rolling
    4/12 - 5 miles biking, 50 mins low impact cardio indoors
    4/13 - 30 mins light walking
    4/14 - 30 min pilates, 15 min walking

19.85 of 60 miles April running goal

My hips were slightly sore after the pilates the other day, so I went for it again this morning. I really have no patience for slow exercise like pilates but I'm feeling the burn so it's my new thing for now.

@5BeautifulDays Sounds like your heart isn't in the trip/race at this point. How long do you have to decide? Don't make a rush decision if you have some time.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    I'd thought I had a workout plan laid out:
    ----- SUN       MON                 TUE                 WED               THU                FRI      SAT
    Wk 1: Rest -     9+     - 2.75/lunch + 5/evening - 2.75/lunch - 2.75/lunch + 5/evening - 2.75/lunch - 9+
    Wk 2: Rest - 2.75/lunch - 2.75/lunch + 5/evening - 2.75/lunch - 2.75/lunch + 5/evening - 2.75/lunch - 9+

But the body has been weak (at least this week). I have a 10K race on Saturday, so I'm going to add some additional time to at least fill out the 9+, if not make up some of the evening miles I've skipped.

My question is - how far apart can the 10K and the extra miles be separated in time before they become 2 runs, instead of a long one? If I skip the awards (I'm certainly not getting anything), and head for a location to run the rest of my miles within, say, 30 minutes, will the body think of it as a single long run? an hour?
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    4/14 2.94
    I kept my pace at the slower end of my easy range range because I am so sore from my squats workout yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised how well my heart rate did since it was a bit warm out. It was a mostly enjoyable run today.
    exercise.png
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Date.........Miles..........Total
    1/4............Rest..............0
    2/4............Rest..............0
    3/4.............3.7..............3.7
    4/4.............3.0..............6.7
    5/4............Rest............6.7
    6/4.............6.0.............12.7
    7/4.............3.0.............15.7
    8/4............Rest............15.7
    9/4............Rest............15.7
    10/4..........Rest............15.7
    11/4...........3.5.............19.2
    12/4..........Rest............19.2
    13/4..........Rest............19.2

14/4...........3.6..............22.8

A really great run today, certainly a lot quicker than usual. Normally I go slowly down hills to get my breath back ready for the next hill but today I just let myself go. I thought this would make going up the hills harder but it was actually easier, I'm surprised at how much my fitness has improved lately.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2016
    Rest/travel day today. Appointment day with the hip surgeon. I have 88 days of running left. I had to ask for another steroid injection. Least it'll (hopefully) keep me running for a few more weeks and my mind off surgery.

He said I was thin enough and thinks he can get to the pudendal nerve also *gulp* :scream: *crossing fingers he leaves that alone*, I told him if he could free the sciatic I'd be elated... I'll have to stretch and do nerve glides twice a day for the rest of my life. But that's OK. I'll have an 8 inch scar across my a$s. That's not super cool.

Patiently waiting for Dr Toi's office to phone with steroid injection date.

Found the best yet, gluten free beer today. Daura Damm. May look in to regular massages, and see if my old local PT can help me stretch.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    9voice9 wrote: »
    I'd thought I had a workout plan laid out:
    ----- SUN       MON                 TUE                 WED               THU                FRI      SAT
    Wk 1: Rest -     9+     - 2.75/lunch + 5/evening - 2.75/lunch - 2.75/lunch + 5/evening - 2.75/lunch - 9+
    Wk 2: Rest - 2.75/lunch - 2.75/lunch + 5/evening - 2.75/lunch - 2.75/lunch + 5/evening - 2.75/lunch - 9+

But the body has been weak (at least this week). I have a 10K race on Saturday, so I'm going to add some additional time to at least fill out the 9+, if not make up some of the evening miles I've skipped.

My question is - how far apart can the 10K and the extra miles be separated in time before they become 2 runs, instead of a long one? If I skip the awards (I'm certainly not getting anything), and head for a location to run the rest of my miles within, say, 30 minutes, will the body think of it as a single long run? an hour?

Once you stop running, EPOC starts to bring your body back into a homeostacious state. So it doesn't take long for this to happen (how long is dependent on the person but I would think much quicker than 30 minutes). Once this happends then you are getting into the area of a second run with already fatigued muscles.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    4/14 - 8.3mi easy through a mountain range and across the Hoover Dam. Minimal vert (463ft). Very hot out. 86F there. But the sun was killer against the rocks. Nice running through the tunnels though! Oh ya... pretty much got sandblasted. Extremely windy! Good thing it was a easy day!

4/1 - Easy 10.1mi @ 8:25/mi
    4/2 - rest.
    4/3 - 1mi fun hike for views of SLC. 400ft vertical.
    4/4 - Snowboard 41.8mi 30,000ft, descent (not counted on April total), 55.8mph top speed.
    4/5 - 7.3mi mountain (steep) run. About 2,000ft vertical, 14:31/avg. Medium effort.
    4/6 - Rest
    4/7 - 4.5mi easy w speed bursts 8:50 - 5:40/mi
    4/8 - rest
    4/9 - Beginners Luck 25k trail race (2:53)
    4/10 - 7.1mi on Black Mtn, 2,234ft vertical gain, 14:11/mi (PR)
    4/11 - AM 9mi easy (8:41/mi) ---- PM 6.4mi trail (1,207ft vertical) -15.4mi total
    4/12 - rest
    4/13 - AM: 2.25mi Med w H bursts (6:59 avg). 2.25mi slow back. PM: 10.2mi @ glacial (9:05/mi) - 14.7mi total.
    4/14 - 8.3mi easy. 463ft vert.

April total - 84.4 / 153mi
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    4/01: Off, rest day
    4/02: 12 miles, long and easy
    4/03: 8K race - 36:36 (7:22 pace) - new PR! + 1 mile warm up
    4/04: 4 miles, easy
    4/05: 5 miles, easy
    4/06: 5 miles total, 2 miles @ 7:38 (LT) pace (am)
    4/06: 4 miles, easy (pm)
    4/07: 5 miles, easy
    4/08: Off, rest day
    4/09: Half Marathon - 1:53:11 - treated as a long run with strong finish
    4/10: 4 miles, easy
    4/11: 6 miles, easy
    4/12: 7 miles total, 3x1 mile repeats @ 7:19 pace
    4/13: 6 miles, easy (am)
    4/13: 4 miles, easy (pm)
    4/14: 8 miles total, 5 miles @ 7:45 (goal HM) pace
    Total: 89.54 miles

Overview:
    Awesome tempo/pace run this afternoon! It was a lovely 56 degrees and sunny, and I finally got to run in shorts for the first time in ages! 1.5 mile warm up; 5 miles @ 7:45 (goal half marathon) pace; 1.5 mile cool down. Boy are my legs tired now, and it feels sooooo good. Looking forward to a much needed rest day tomorrow :)

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    04/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K) 36:36 - new 8K PR!
    04/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon 1:53:11 - took it nice and easy
    04/24 - Ravenswood Run (5K)
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    07/21 - Esprit de She 5K
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    4/1: Rest day!
    4/2: 5 miles
    4/3: 13.1 Caesar Rodney HM!
    4/4: 3 miles with Joe to Go crew
    4/5: Rest day
    4/6: 10 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
    4/7: 7 miles tempo (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    4/8: Rest day
    4/9: 22 miles << Last super long run for this training cycle!
    4/10: 10 miles
    4/11: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    4/12: Rest day!!!
    4/13: 10 miles @ marathon pace
    4/14: 8 miles (am), 6.4 miles with Thursday crew (pm)

This morning was a slog, but this afternoon I was cruising! It felt so easy, and I was running 1 min/mile faster on average tonight than on my earlier run. Plus I got to run with one of my teammates who's running Boston on Monday (looking to pace 6:27-6:33 per mile, WHAT!!), and we were cruising the first couple miles at a conversational 7:30-8:00 pace! I was shocked when my mile alert buzzed! That may be her easy pace, but I shouldn't be running that fast on an easy day! So we slowed it down after that.

I've got a 10 mile run to a 6k race on Saturday, and then the really-real taper starts. And the madness sets in. 2 weeks and 3 sleeps til race day!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM: New PR! 1:40:13
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
    5/15: Princeton 5k << social event, not racing!
    6/11: Pacers Princeton Halfway Half (Princeton, NJ)
    7/4: a fourth of july race somewhere!
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    @kristinegift - Yeah, running with someone who's faster than you can sneak up on you. You think you're running easy, and the next thing you know you're doing MP while the faster runner is in his/her easy zone. I've been the faster runner and the slower runner in that scenario, and I've learned that when I'm the slower runner I need to let the faster runner go.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    April Running Totals (miles)
    4/1 – scheduled rest day
    4/2 – 13.31 easy
    4/3 – 7.83 easy
    4/4 – 4.59 easy 30 minutes + 4 strides
    4/5 – 14.14 warm up + speed work
    4/6 – 5.18 easy
    4/7 – 11.45 – short warmup, long speed work
    4/8 – scheduled rest day
    4/9 – 7.30 speed work
    4/10 – 11.67 easy
    4/11 – 3.87 easy
    4/12 – 7.78 warm up, speed work, cool down, commute
    4/13 – 3.92 easy
    4/14 – 7.30 warmup + light speed work

April total to date – 98.34

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Taper well. Arrive at Hopkinton healthy. Run Boston well. Recover well.

Today's notes – 2 mile warmup, club pep talk, drills, then 20 minutes easy, 10 minutes MP, 10 minutes easy. This is the traditional speed work assignment for the Thursday before a marathon. It's enough to feel like a real run, but not enough to sap your energy for race day.

Ran a half minute extra on that 20 minutes easy, because I met up with a buddy and we got chatting. When I realized I was past time to accelerate, I went into the next lap and left him behind. He has strained abs and can't be running at my MP right now. He'll run Boston then take some time off for the abs to heal, and he won't run a PR at Boston. But we were figuring up projected time from some of the running he's done with me, and it's possible he could qualify for the 55-59 M age group even without running Boston as a race. This is mostly a pride thing, because he already qualified for Boston 2017 at Wineglass 2015.

Tomorrow's assignment is 30 easy minutes, same as yesterday's and Monday's. Saturday I get in my car and drive east without running a step. I should finish the week between 38 and 39 miles, the least I've run in a week since late October or early November. The nominal weekly target for the training plan is 45 miles, but in the final taper week it's okay to be short of that.

If I'm lucky, Sunday I'll get to do 20 minutes or so on the final part of the course. If I'm less lucky, the only course preview I'll get will be walking around the part of Boston where the race ends.

Yes, I'm going a bit nuts right now. That's normal in late stage taper. Come Monday, I'll be allowed to run again.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY)
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hilton, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @MobyCarp It's been really cool and inspiring reading your posts about Boston prep....Maybe if I keep at running, I'll be in a position to BQ by the time I'm your age. All kidding aside, I learn a ton from all of your posts.