4/8- Rest
    4/9- 6.24 Miles
    4/10- 4 Miles
    4/11- Rest
    4/12- 4.14 Miles
    4/13- 2.2 Miles (first Wednesday Run)
    4/14- 4.13 Miles
    4/15- Rest

Rest day today, and glad of it. Stupid arch is still bugging me. it's like a mild ache right behind my big toe that sometimes radiates back. Really hope it's feeling better for tomorrow's long run. "Good" news is that the pain comes and goes, and hasn't gotten any worse.

Even though I never had a problem with the basic insole that comes with my shoes or any arch problems, I did hear of some people that have had arch problems solved with insoles.

You may want to go to the running store and tell them your problem and see if a special running insole might help.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Even though I never had a problem with the basic insole that comes with my shoes or any arch problems, I did hear of some people that have had arch problems solved with insoles.

You may want to go to the running store and tell them your problem and see if a special running insole might help.
    Next time I head down to the city, that's what I'm thinking I'll do. Calf has been pretty stiff lately, so I'm thinking that is part of the problem. Doing a lot of calf and plantar facia stretches throughout the day today. Also sent a note to my Dr. Describing what's up to get an opinion, and looked up a couple sports medicine doctors in the area.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    4/1-2.5 miles running with the puppy
    4/2-16 miles
    4/3- rest day
    4/4-4.5 miles
    4/5-6 miles w/ 3 @ tempo
    4/6-5.1 miles
    4/7-7 miles
    4/8 3.3 miles
    4/9 20 miles
    4/10 rest day
    4/11 yoga only
    4/12-8 miles
    4/13-3.3 miles
    4/14-5.4 miles

Also did a few extra run/walk exercises with the pup, which I did not monitor or log. She definitely is better at running along side me than walking! I can't wait until she is mature enough to become a legitimate running buddy!
  • goin2cruise
    goin2cruise Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    4 yesterday, then yoga. 15 for the month total on way to 24 goal. Thank God for yoga
  • lporter229
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Rest/travel day today. Appointment day with the hip surgeon. I have 88 days of running left. I had to ask for another steroid injection. Least it'll (hopefully) keep me running for a few more weeks and my mind off surgery.

He said I was thin enough and thinks he can get to the pudendal nerve also *gulp* :scream: *crossing fingers he leaves that alone*, I told him if he could free the sciatic I'd be elated... I'll have to stretch and do nerve glides twice a day for the rest of my life. But that's OK. I'll have an 8 inch scar across my a$s. That's not super cool.

Patiently waiting for Dr Toi's office to phone with steroid injection date.

Found the best yet, gluten free beer today. Daura Damm. May look in to regular massages, and see if my old local PT can help me stretch.

Sorry that you have to deal with this. I am sure it is no fun, but kuddos to you for not letting it keep you down!

I did not know you are gluten free. I am too. My husband home brews and makes some GF beers for me that are pretty good, but I will definitely look for that Daura Damm. So hard to find good ones. I am not a fan of ciders, but we have a local brewery here called Reingeist (not sure of its popularity or availability outside of this region). Anyway, they have a dry hopped cider that is not sickeningly sweet like most of them. I have been drinking that lately. It's a good spring/summer beer.
  • Nedorostok
    Nedorostok Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My goal - 25 miles in april, so far - 10 miles down, 15 miles to go!
    Ran yesterday 2.5 miles in the rain on the trails, fell in the mud, but finished what I started. Loved every minute of it :)
  • lporter229
    Options
    @Ohhim -Pittsburgh is my hometown and my family is all still there. I keep telling myself that I am going to run that marathon someday, but it hasn't yet worked out. Kind of jealous of ya. Hope you have a great race!!
  • Nedorostok
    Nedorostok Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    4 yesterday, then yoga. 15 for the month total on way to 24 goal. Thank God for yoga

Yes, I so agree!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's a rest day or Skip wants to run later day. She has a "light" run day so those she runs with me LOL Anyway...

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. Half way through the month and everyone is doing great on their goals. :star:

@elise4270 good luck with that surgery, I hope it gives you the relief you are looking for.
    @robotfood I had laugh at the sandblasted comment, think of it this way, you are getting free microdermabrasion, people pay a lot of money for that
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Rest/travel day today. Appointment day with the hip surgeon. I have 88 days of running left. I had to ask for another steroid injection. Least it'll (hopefully) keep me running for a few more weeks and my mind off surgery.

He said I was thin enough and thinks he can get to the pudendal nerve also *gulp* :scream: *crossing fingers he leaves that alone*, I told him if he could free the sciatic I'd be elated... I'll have to stretch and do nerve glides twice a day for the rest of my life. But that's OK. I'll have an 8 inch scar across my a$s. That's not super cool.

Found the best yet, gluten free beer today. Daura Damm. May look in to regular massages, and see if my old local PT can help me stretch.

Sorry that you have to deal with this. I am sure it is no fun, but kuddos to you for not letting it keep you down!

I did not know you are gluten free. I am too. My husband home brews and makes some GF beers for me that are pretty good, but I will definitely look for that Daura Damm. So hard to find good ones. I am not a fan of ciders, but we have a local brewery here called Reingeist (not sure of its popularity or availability outside of this region). Anyway, they have a dry hopped cider that is not sickeningly sweet like most of them. I have been drinking that lately. It's a good spring/summer beer.

Thanks. Ya, I need to keep gluten free, I'm not always great at it. I've been in denial for a while. My husband is a recovering addict so I have to hide alcohol. LOL! I'll look for the reingeist!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Next time I head down to the city, that's what I'm thinking I'll do. Calf has been pretty stiff lately, so I'm thinking that is part of the problem. Doing a lot of calf and plantar facia stretches throughout the day today. Also sent a note to my Dr. Describing what's up to get an opinion, and looked up a couple sports medicine doctors in the area.

I doubt very highly that your general practitioner will have an answer other than stop running. The sports doctors sound like a better bet.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I doubt very highly that your general practitioner will have an answer other than stop running. The sports doctors sound like a better bet.

Yeah, I just have to go through them as a first step to get a referral.....stupid rules. My normal Dr is a DO working as a GP, so There is some hope.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

The sports medicine doctors are a good idea. I use SuperFeet Blue because that's what my podiatrist had me do. The running store folks' first thought was I should try SuperFeet Green. I think I'll go with the opinion from the medical professional who has looked specifically at *my* feet.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @4leighbee , @kristinegift , and @greenolivetree Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement. I talked to my friend, and while she supports me going to run, my heart really isn't in it. I will try to get a deferment if they offer one later, but right now I'm just out the reg. fee and the party tickets (hey...does anyone want after-race party tickets, lol?), which is better than airfare and hotel money and then not going or not having a good time.

I plan to sit down this afternoon and make some plans for other races to keep me motivated without having that "big" half waiting for me in November.

4/1...5.0 @ 12:00 on the TM (4.0 @ 11:15 and 1.0 walking)
    4/2....3.1 @ 11:45 through the neighborhood. My ankle hurt the first mile or so, especially on the uphill bits--downhill isn't too bad
    4/3...Rest day
    4/4...4.6 @ 11:32 on the rail trail and neighborhood streets
    4/5...2.8 @ 11:50 on the TM--that's 2.3 (just to make it even!) @ 11:15 and .5 at a walk, plus strength training
    4/6...Rest day, but I got to go help out at my son's RunFit club. Next time I'm wearing my own running shoes so I can chase him with a sharp stick so he doesn't walk so much! (That was a joke...don't call CPS or Jeff Galloway...)
    4/7...7.0 @ 11:25 on the TM (This was really 6.25 at 11:05 and .75 walking to cool down)
    4/8...2.0 @ 12:06 (just had a short time to run while the kids were at gym)
    4/9...Unintended rest day. I got dressed to run...that counts for something, right? LOL
    4/10...4.6 @ 13:39 with the slow poke pup. We ran about 3 miles in the 12:00 neighborhood and walked the rest. Well, I walked. He sniffed and did...doggy stuff.
    4/11...3.0 @ 12:00 ish on the basement beheamoth. The kiddos were home sick from school so I was grounded, too.
    4/12...2.25 @ 12:00 on the treadmill and strength training
    4/13...6.2 @ 12:34 on the rail trail and neighborhood streets
    4/14...Rest Day
    4/15...4.75 @ 11:56 on the park trail. I decided to try running with earbuds so I couldn't hear my phone telling me how fast I was going. I settled in to a nice easy pace, but I didn't hold back either. This is the pace I love to run, and it was remarkably consistent, with splits of 11:55, 11:46, 12:03, 11:51 and 12:00.

Upcoming Races:
    4/23 Healthy Steps Community 10K, Burke, VA
    5/21 RunFitKidz 5K with my 9 year old, Springfield, VA

exercise.png

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    April Running Totals (miles)
    4/1 – scheduled rest day
    4/2 – 13.31 easy
    4/3 – 7.83 easy
    4/4 – 4.59 easy 30 minutes + 4 strides
    4/5 – 14.14 warm up + speed work
    4/6 – 5.18 easy
    4/7 – 11.45 – short warmup, long speed work
    4/8 – scheduled rest day
    4/9 – 7.30 speed work
    4/10 – 11.67 easy
    4/11 – 3.87 easy
    4/12 – 7.78 warm up, speed work, cool down, commute
    4/13 – 3.92 easy
    4/14 – 7.30 warmup + light speed work
    4/15 – 3.86 easy
    4/16 – travel day, no running
    4/17 - expo day, hope to preview end of course
    4/18 - Patriots' Day, deal with logistics, run the race

April total to date – 102.20

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Taper well. Arrive at Hopkinton healthy. Run Boston well. Recover well.

Today's notes – Today's assignment was 30 minutes easy, which came out to 3.86 miles for an average pace of 7:46 per mile. It was warm enough to wear short sleeves. so I wore my Vivofit that pairs to the same HRM as my watch, and could watch the HR in real time. Practiced flowing smoothly down Methodist Hill (my surrogate for the drop before the hills of Newton), and saw the pace as fast as 7:10, which is my target MP. But my HR at that point was 113, so I didn't worry about being too fast. Average heart rate for the run was 123, max HR 136, 82% of the time in Zone 2 vs. 14% in Zone 3. That's easy enough. The HR typically goes into Zone 3 on the uphill segments.

Because tomorrow is a rest/travel day, that's it for this week. The training week came in at 38.40 miles, versus a target of 45; but it's not a bad thing to be below target for the final week of taper.

I have run a total of 915.63 miles in the 16 week structured training program. Tomorrow I will not run at all. If I'm lucky, Sunday I will get 20 minutes or so on the last 2 miles of the course, as recommended by the program. Then on Monday I find out whether I'm as good as I think I am.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY)
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hilton, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My hips were slightly sore after the pilates the other day, so I went for it again this morning. I really have no patience for slow exercise like pilates but I'm feeling the burn so it's my new thing for now.

I appreciate this. So many people don't like when I say that I don't like pilates and yoga: "Oh, but it's so relaxing." "You just haven't found the right instructor." "It took me a while, but I finally found a class I like, and now I can't live without it." No. I just don't like them. I don't have the patience for either and I get bored very quickly.
  • instantmartian
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Thanks. Ya, I need to keep gluten free, I'm not always great at it. I've been in denial for a while. My husband is a recovering addict so I have to hide alcohol. LOL! I'll look for the reingeist!

There's another dry cider called Commonwealth Cider brewed by Philadelphia Brewing Company. There is regular, raspberry, and ginger and they are all wonderful. I am not a cider person because I find them too sweet, but these three are not sweet at all. The regular is very crisp, the raspberry has a nice, dry raspberry flavor, and the ginger is pretty intense. Like @lporter229, I'm not sure how far it's distributed beyond the Philadelphia area, but it is definitely worth a try.
  • instantmartian
    Options
    @4leighbee , @kristinegift , and @greenolivetree Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement. I talked to my friend, and while she supports me going to run, my heart really isn't in it. I will try to get a deferment if they offer one later, but right now I'm just out the reg. fee and the party tickets (hey...does anyone want after-race party tickets, lol?), which is better than airfare and hotel money and then not going or not having a good time.

I plan to sit down this afternoon and make some plans for other races to keep me motivated without having that "big" half waiting for me in November.

I think this is a very good idea. If you're heart's not in it, it's not going to be an enjoyable run nor an enjoyable trip to Disney. Again, I wish your friend the best of luck. Cancer is absolutely awful. It does sound like she and her doctors have a solid treatment plan in place. Not knowing any details, and, based on what you've said, assuming it's breast cancer, the odds seem to be in her favor. Beating breast cancer is a regular thing these days, not that that makes it any less scary. Breast cancer research and treatment has come leaps and bounds over the past several years. I have hope for her and everyone around her.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options

I think this is a very good idea. If you're heart's not in it, it's not going to be an enjoyable run nor an enjoyable trip to Disney. Again, I wish your friend the best of luck. Cancer is absolutely awful. It does sound like she and her doctors have a solid treatment plan in place. Not knowing any details, and, based on what you've said, assuming it's breast cancer, the odds seem to be in her favor. Beating breast cancer is a regular thing these days, not that that makes it any less scary. Breast cancer research and treatment has come leaps and bounds over the past several years. I have hope for her and everyone around her.

Yes, it's breast cancer. And I keep telling myself all the positive things you're saying. About 15 years ago, we lost a mutual friend at age 30 to a very aggressive breast cancer--but treatment really has improved dramatically in the ensuing years, with targeted therapies.