April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Looks like so many people are racing this weekend! Good luck to all of you!!
    Special Good Luck wishes to @MobyCarp for Boston on Monday!! Whoot! Whoot!
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I haven't been keeping up well here at all!

@Orphia - killing it at those park runs! And nice pic - looking good. Can see you're close to your goal weight.

@Elise4270 - good luck with your surgery. I would be nervous, too. But if you can be pain free afterwards, it's a good thing, right?

@MobyCarp - best of luck at Boston!

@5BeautifulDays - so sorry to hear about your friend's illness. Hope everything goes well with her treatment.

And good luck everyone else racing this weekend.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have weeks when they just hate running and don't want to do it? I've had to drag my backside out of the door twice this week and not felt good when running or even post-run (which is the unusual bit).

So I'm having today off from all exercise, not even a bit of yoga, and hoping I enjoy my long-run tomorrow, even though my boyfriend wants to run with me and I hate running with him. Our pace is so incompatible that it becomes a battle to stay at a good speed for both of us, about 10min miles, because it's so unnatural to us both. Grr, I'm frustrated with myself.

Maybe I'm just tired? It's my first week back at work after two weeks holiday. Or, looking at my food diary, I might not be eating enough too as I've just gone back to maintainence after having been eating about 350cals more a day to gain weight after dropping to an unhealthy BMI following illness. Should I try to add another 100-200 calories and see if that works? I have also had a change in some medication too as of last week, so maybe it's that. Or hormones (ladies, do you have fluctuations?) Or maybe I'm just having a grumpy week! Or maybe it's all of those things combined? Neither one on its own has ever made me want to stop running before, even if it has made it harder (I've looked through my training journal).

Who knows.

Anyway, rant over. My mileage so far this month:

3rd April - 13.1 miles - Half PB 2:04:35
    5th April - 2.43 miles
    6-8th April - away
    9th April - 3.09 miles
    10th April - 6.4 miles
    12th April - 3.67 miles
    14th April - 4.53 miles

MTD - 33.22/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    April 2016

2/4 - 5.64k
    3/4 6k
    9/4 4K
    13/4 -4.5
    14/4 4.86
    16/4 7.5

32.5/75

Was frosty any icy in the shade at 1C this morning but lovely in the sunshine. Good luck to today's racers.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Mich, I hit my goal weight on Monday!

Just posted my Success Story:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10373084/from-obese-to-goal-in-exactly-a-year

@orphia congrats!!!!!
  • MLS1582
    MLS1582 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @Orphia WAY TO GO! I love your picture. It looks like a beautiful trail. Congrats on hitting goal!
    @louubelle16 I've actually found that there are 2 weeks of every five when I struggle with everything. I've even found that, despite keep my average calorie intake the same, I lose less weight those two weeks. Since I've become more aware of it, I try to set one simple goal each day and then I let everything else go. I might say that my goal is to get in my miles that day and then ignore my pace (sometimes I even end up walking). Or I'll focus on complimenting each of my students at some point during the day (even if it means, we don't get through as much of the lesson as I had planned). That seems to help me. Hopefully, it will pass quickly!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    4/1- Rest
    4/2- 6.23 miles
    4/3- 4 miles
    4/4- Rest
    4/5- 4 miles
    4/6- Rest
    4/7- 4 Miles
    4/8- Rest
    4/9- 6.24 Miles
    4/10- 4 Miles
    4/11- Rest
    4/12- 4.14 Miles
    4/13- 2.2 Miles (first Wednesday Run)
    4/14- 4.13 Miles
    4/15- Much needed Rest
    4/16- 8.2

Total: 47.1/60

Good morning run. Temps were in the mid 50s. Started out wearing a C9 Tee over my UA heatgear T, but that came off around mile 3. Run felt very good the whole way, despite my HR averaging 157.

Tried eating a Honey Stinger Chocolate Energy gel at mile 4, and the 32mg of caffeine may have contributed to both the run feeling great, and my elevated HR average. No GI problems resulted from eating the gel, and it tasted good (Note, the gel did make me a bit thirsty. I've been taking Jolly Ranchers with on runs and popping one in at the beginning of the run, and then every 2 miles. The Honey Stinger replaced the Mile 4 Jolly Rancher.

Right foot felt fine for the run but really started to kill when I started walking for my cool down at the end. Planning to skip tomorrow's recovery run so I have 2 off days in a row to hopefully give it time to heal and reevaluate from there.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @Orphia - Congratulations!! It is such a wonderful feeling to hit that goal!! Great job!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Does anyone else have weeks when they just hate running and don't want to do it? I've had to drag my backside out of the door twice this week and not felt good when running or even post-run (which is the unusual bit).

Anyway, rant over. My mileage so far this month:

Yes I do. I always assume it's my body asking for a cut back week. A few months ago someone shared a pie graph that said "how much do you wanna go run right now" half was "so much" other half was "literally not at all".

I'm hanging back this week, resting muscles, mentally rebuilding. Adding some extra calories may help like you said. I noticed omega oils and vitiman B help me. Kinda keeps we runners in check, otherwise we'd probably run across the continent.
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2016
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Rest/travel day today. Appointment day with the hip surgeon. I have 88 days of running left. I had to ask for another steroid injection. Least it'll (hopefully) keep me running for a few more weeks and my mind off surgery.

He said I was thin enough and thinks he can get to the pudendal nerve also *gulp* :scream: *crossing fingers he leaves that alone*, I told him if he could free the sciatic I'd be elated... I'll have to stretch and do nerve glides twice a day for the rest of my life. But that's OK. I'll have an 8 inch scar across my a$s. That's not super cool.

Patiently waiting for Dr Toi's office to phone with steroid injection date.

Found the best yet, gluten free beer today. Daura Damm. May look in to regular massages, and see if my old local PT can help me stretch.

@Elise4270 - You know you could get a tattoo around that scar to make it interesting - just saying... depending on the scar maybe a runner, running along it :)
    Hope the injection helps and keeps you going a few more weeks! Do you have a date already for the surgery?

Haha! A Jolly Roger for my booty, argh matey!

Surgery date is July 12th. I have a half with @WhatMeRunning and @ceciliaslater (maybe @greenolivetree ) Nov 5th. Which is perfectly timed to help me recover. I may be slow or I may be blazin' fast! Haha! I'm gonna owe someone a few beers for the awesome PR they set! Can't miss that!

I am getting nervous about it now. Maybe I don't need to do it. But I keep looking at my toes that won't flex, thinking what if it's my foot next...

As I left the office a nurse(?) mentioned my surgery is one of the easy ones. I should be back at it in 12 weeks. Hoping I can do some aqua-running too.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Great story! Congrats!

@louubelle16 I've been exercising for over 5 years and I've found I have slumps a couple times a year. I try to switch things up with more outdoor exercise during spring and fall and focusing more on strength training summer and winter. Helps with boredom.

@Elise4270 Good luck with your surgery. I hope you can be free of pain :smile:
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays - I ran the Divas in NY last October and it was so much fun. That was my first half so that made it even more fun. I may do that one as well - will let you know. I think I should give up on Nike. sigh. And even when the do announce dates, it is a lottery.

@elise4270 - The nice thing about that timing is you miss some of the summer heat for running. It will be so nice to be pain free and having that half scheduled in November will be perfect.

@orphia - adorable picture! Congratulations!!!

@louubelle16 - If I have a day when I don't feel like running, usually once I get going I end up loving it. And then the opposite happens ... can't wait to get out there and it is awful.

4/1- 5.1 miles in the rain
    4/2 - rest/travel day
    4/3 - 34 miles on bike
    4/4 - 5.1 miles (intervals)
    4/5 - 5.1 miles - intervals (although slower than yesterday)
    4/6 - 22 miles on bike + Strength training
    4/7 - 4.2 miles - slow and steady
    4/8 - strength training
    4/9 - 34 miles on bike
    4/10 - 50 miles on bike
    4/11 - 5.1 miles - recovery run from all the biking + strength training
    4/12 - 4.2 miles
    4/13 - rest day (biking rained out).
    4/14 - 4.8 miles
    4/15 - sick day
    4/16 - 4.2 very slow miles (feeling better)

exercise.png
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Apr 01    103.7    103.7  April Fools!!
    Apr 03      6.2      6.2  Cohasset 10K, PR and 19th in my age group!
    Apr 05      5.3T    11.5
    Apr 06      3.8T    15.3
    Apr 09      6.4     21.7
    Apr 10      5.0     26.7
    Apr 11      3.6T    30.3
    Apr 12      3.8T    34.1
    Apr 16     11.2     45.3

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I thought about that timing being ideal. Funny how 65 is almost too hot to run in when a year ago it was ideal. I can't imagine how difficult 90-95 is going to be this year.

But ya know, when I'm not allowed to run and it's 100 out, I'll be wishing I was out there sweating like the rest.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    My back locked up after Tuesday's dead lift routine so I copped out and didn't run this week until this morning's 5k event. I forgot to take a photo of my time but it was just above 30 minutes. My numbers are dramatically behind where I was two years ago. Not at all happy about that, but I got out of it what I put into it. I need to just keep running until the next event and work harder. All of that said, I am very happy about running with the entire family. This was the first one where my wife and I ran together and even our 5 year old was involved.

And, our daughters did wonderfully. Our 10 year old took 3rd in her category and won the 1/2 mile they put together for the 6 to 12 year olds. Our 5 year old took 3rd in the 100 yard dash. I love watching these two run!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 @kristinegift

The Honey Stinger Chocolate Gel I tried this morning was really good. No stomach problems from it, and I definitely felt it kick in about mile 6, after taking it after I finished mile 4. To me, it tasted a little like Nutella and I really liked it. Only complaint is it did make me a little thirsty when I first ate it, but that's it. The caffeine in it gave me a nice boost on my last couple miles.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Can't do simple math and run at the same time. :/ but when I'm done, this should be my longest running ever. Eeek!
  • jringer1
    jringer1 Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options