April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    The race registration asks for finish time.....I have no clue what to put. "in theory" I could do it in 2:25:00....but not sure what to enter in.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    All this talk of marathons is making me desperate to do one next year!

@MNLittleFinn I ran my most recent half marathon on only 13 weeks training, and I was starting pretty much from 0 after injury, so if I can get there then you definitely can - your base is much stronger than mine was!

Most say the minimum long run distance you need to run is 8 miles to have the aerobic capacity to go for a half. Not sure I would recommend that jump from 8 to a half.

I'm really surprised by that @WhatMeRunning, I can't imagine running a half after only having run 8 in training. Does that mean the benefits to running 10/11/12 miles in training are really just psychological?

Story time: Back in the day when I was a youngin, after my second distance run ever, a 3.4 miler, I decided it would be fun to run a half marathon. I managed to slowly run 9mi then had to run/walk it to the finish. I enjoy challenges and pain though haha. But it really is mostly mental.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Story time: Back in the day when I was a youngin, after my second distance run ever, a 3.4 miler, I decided it would be fun to run a half marathon. I managed to slowly run 9mi then had to run/walk it to the finish. I enjoy challenges and pain though haha. But it really is mostly mental.
    I'd be using this half as "training" for the half I have in October. That one's closer to home, and I can use my first Half as a gauge to see what I can actually do in a Half....I'm already working on the mental right now. Goal is to get at least 10 miles in training, so I can tell myself at mile 10 "Just 5k to go, you've logged way more miles than that in a run"
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@MNLittleFinn I ran my most recent half marathon on only 13 weeks training, and I was starting pretty much from 0 after injury, so if I can get there then you definitely can - your base is much stronger than mine was!

Most say the minimum long run distance you need to run is 8 miles to have the aerobic capacity to go for a half. Not sure I would recommend that jump from 8 to a half.

I'm really surprised by that @WhatMeRunning, I can't imagine running a half after only having run 8 in training. Does that mean the benefits to running 10/11/12 miles in training are really just psychological?

My longest runs are 7-8 miles and a half is doable for me. I think 8 is plenty as long as you are putting in the MPW. I'm doing 30-35 (outside of cutback weeks). I'm in base building mode, not speed.

I think some of it is psychological. I'll walk 3+ hours to train my mind to stay busy during the longer runs/races.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Forgot to mention that I ran the half the next week. Pretty much zero training. 2:28 death march haha. But you can do it man! With 10mi long runs, it will be a breeze. Just don't start out to fast on race day.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Over 250 posts since I last had time to catch up here! Too much to go back through all of it. I did however go back to find @MobyCarp's Boston race report. Excellent running and congratulations. As many have said already you did and awesome job pacing yourself (intentionally or not :)) as I too have read about many who dropped out midway. My husband also had a friend running who typically runs under a 7 min mile and he averaged well over 8. I think many people were not prepared for the warm temperatures.

@Elise4270 - those headphones are awesome and are really much more than just headphones! I would definitely buy the 'leash' though or I would likely lose one of them.
    @moyer566 - love the pictures and the last one is priceless!

Seeing all the race results makes me wish I had a spring race planned but realistically I know I couldn't do it. My arm is still too sore!

I had no running over the weekend but was VERY active both days at the agility trials. Managed to get close to 20k steps in both days. This week I am back in my routine of base building but my daughter arrives tonight for the rest of the week. We are going to Disney tomorrow to check out the new Star Wars ride and the return of the Main Street Electrical parade - a favorite from when she was little. Good thing tomorrow is a planned rest day (active rest!). I am hoping to get in my planned runs the rest of the week and maybe drag her along too. Not sure if a long run will fit in the schedule for the weekend though. We have a busy day on Saturday and I am back at another agility trial on Sunday morning.

Date..........Miles.........Total
    04/01.......5.44..........5.44
    04/02.......8.33........13.77
    04/03.......0.00........13.77
    04/04.......5.25........19.02 - + Agility
    04/05.......5.21........24.23 - + Strength Training (one armed :))
    04/06.......0.00........24.23
    04/07.......5.86........30.09 - + Strength Training (one armed :))
    04/08.......4.34........34.43 - Rain run!
    04/09.......0.00........34.43
    04/10.......0.00........34.43
    04/11.......6.20........40.63 - + Agility
    04/12.......5.30........45.93
    04/13.......0.00........45.93
    04/14.......6.30........52.23 - Fartleks
    04/15.......6.40........58.63 - Back to base building
    04/16.......0.00........58.63 - + Agility
    04/17.......0.00........58.63 - + Agility
    04/18.......5.46........64.09 - + Agility
    04/19.......5.26........69.35 - + Strength Training

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    06/25/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    09/xx/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    xx/xx/xx - Nike Women's Half Marathon, Los Angeles
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @kristinegift -Yep. It's May 1st. Big weekend for racing. My goal is to make it across the finish line along side my friend, however long that may take. I am looking forward to it because it is such an energy charged event. I hate not participating in it in some capacity. Didn't really expect to be doing the full, but...

Anyway, that is your BIG race weekend too, right? Definitely pulling for you! You and Ohhim will have your race reports written up before I am even finished! I am just hoping the weather cooperates. That's the worst thing about spring races...you never know what you are going to get. Hopefully it won't be too hot. Cincy, Pittsburgh, New Jersey...we are probably all going to be watching the same forecast all next week!

@lporter229 It is indeed! And there won't be a race report up too soon... 2-3 of my teammates and a ton of running store buds are all running so we're definitely getting brunch/beer afterwards! I have been checking the weather every morning. Goes from cloudy to 40% chance of rain to cloudy... but relatively stable temps so I hope it stays that way. I watched the Boston splits yesterday and got nervous thinking about how MY race could also be hot (a late April/early May gamble!), and how that would wreck my BQ goal!

You would have to hit up Donovan's Reef in Sea Bright. You are just too close to not to. it will be just south of your finish line along Ocean Ave.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @kristinegift -Yep. It's May 1st. Big weekend for racing. My goal is to make it across the finish line along side my friend, however long that may take. I am looking forward to it because it is such an energy charged event. I hate not participating in it in some capacity. Didn't really expect to be doing the full, but...

Anyway, that is your BIG race weekend too, right? Definitely pulling for you! You and Ohhim will have your race reports written up before I am even finished! I am just hoping the weather cooperates. That's the worst thing about spring races...you never know what you are going to get. Hopefully it won't be too hot. Cincy, Pittsburgh, New Jersey...we are probably all going to be watching the same forecast all next week!

@lporter229 It is indeed! And there won't be a race report up too soon... 2-3 of my teammates and a ton of running store buds are all running so we're definitely getting brunch/beer afterwards! I have been checking the weather every morning. Goes from cloudy to 40% chance of rain to cloudy... but relatively stable temps so I hope it stays that way. I watched the Boston splits yesterday and got nervous thinking about how MY race could also be hot (a late April/early May gamble!), and how that would wreck my BQ goal!

You would have to hit up Donovan's Reef in Sea Bright. You are just too close to not to. it will be just south of your finish line along Ocean Ave.

I will submit this as a formal request to the crew!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    No, there are DEFINITELY physical benefits to be had by increasing your long run distance up to the general 2.5 to 3 hour-ish timeframe. Plus, the more mileage you have overall from the start of your training will make your body stronger come race day and that can lower any injury risks. But basically once you can run well over an hour (for most people new to half marathons 8 miles is definitely in that range) then you have developed the aerobic capacity and obviously have learned to pace yourself reasonably enough to last that long to where you can go for 13.1 miles. But again, as I said earlier, I really wouldn't suggest anyone make that jump from 8 mile training long runs to a half marathon. It will be a rough half marathon for sure.:smile: But with the right mindset, it is certainly physically possible at that point (barring injury of course).

It's basically the same mindset that once you can run a 5k, the only thing keeping you from running a 10k distance is your mind. The physical capacity should be there already.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Nice! I'm nowhere near ready to think about on yet.
  • Stoshew71
    Options

I believe that is how I got the crazy idea of signing up for a marathon. Couch-2-26.2 in 14 months.
    About 3 months before my first marathon I got the crazy idea that i could actually BQ some day.

Woo hoo on "Registered".
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Rough course profile of the Half I'm looking at for July:

1k2qit1zhubi.png
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options

Awesome! They are fun!
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options

CONGRATS!!!:smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • Stoshew71
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Rough course profile of the Half I'm looking at for July:

1k2qit1zhubi.png

Here's the course profile from my half 3 weekends ago.

jn9uc5e18xz0.png

You got this one. With a little hill training, you will do alright.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) It is actually really hard to get a place in a decent marathon here in the UK as there are so few. It's actually lucky that the fancy to run one took me during the one and only week that there are any registration places for the one I've registered for, which is regarded as being the second best marathon experience in the UK (after London where applications outweighed places by 60:1 last year). This one actually sold out in 8 days last year too, so I am lucky to have timed my fancy right! It is on 9th April next year, so I have more than enough time to go from half to full though.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    All this talk about courses and elevation got me thinking...

@Elise4270 and @WhatMeRunning - I just uploaded my GPS data from last year's Jenks Half to my Strava account, if you're interested in a course preview:

Jenks Half
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Actually that course looks like it could be pretty good. It is uphill to start, so start out careful and easy, and then you have all that downhill to the finish! It's those late miles you start to feel tired, so having a downhill through all that should be nice. Here is the HM course I did two weeks ago that is uphill up front and downhill at the end. I was able to break away around mile 10 and run in to the finish at a great pace to set a new PR!

yyimskgnf8fu.png
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) It is actually really hard to get a place in a decent marathon here in the UK as there are so few. It's actually lucky that the fancy to run one took me during the one and only week that there are any registration places for the one I've registered for, which is regarded as being the second best marathon experience in the UK (after London where applications outweighed places by 60:1 last year). This one actually sold out in 8 days last year too, so I am lucky to have timed my fancy right! It is on 9th April next year, so I have more than enough time to go from half to full though.

Which are you doing? I just googled it and was amazed at the number of small ones there is in the uk but not many large ones.