• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options

You definitely need this for your 4th of July HM! :smiley:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    You definitely need this for your 4th of July HM! :smiley:

I'll be the slowest Cpt. America ever.....LOL....I'm really thinking about getting it, but $68 for a shirt is kind of ridiculous.....still.....
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Nothing to see here folks. Rest day today. Move along. :smiley:

4/1 - Rest
    4/2 - 14 miles
    4/3 - 5 miles
    4/4 - 5 miles
    4/5 - 5 miles
    4/6 - 8 miles
    4/7 - 5 miles
    4/8 - Rest
    4/9 - 13.1 miles
    4/10 - 5 miles
    4/11 - 5 miles
    4/12 - 5 miles
    4/13 - 8.3 miles
    4/14 - 5 miles
    4/15 - Rest
    4/16 - 13.3 miles
    4/17 - 5 miles
    4/18 - 4 miles
    4/19 - 4 miles
    4/20 - 4 miles
    4/21 - 4 miles
    4/22 - Rest

117.7/160 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    yeah....nothing to see, rest day with another HM tomorrow, and probably another PR....just nothing to see.... :p
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    yeah....nothing to see, rest day with another HM tomorrow, and probably another PR....just nothing to see.... :p
    We'll see about the PR. I am planning to run it by feel at a long run pace since it is officially a "down week". So, yeah, whatever that means.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    We'll see about the PR. I am planning to run it by feel at a long run pace since it is officially a "down week". So, yeah, whatever that means.

Good plan running it by feel. You've been on a tear lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if you PRed this week, but taking it a little easy isn't a bad idea either.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Core work this morning. Did 10 extra bodyweight squats and then my legs were really shaky on my bridges. Oops. Foam rolled my calf some more which is still a bit tender from my calf cramp two days ago. I am definitely starting to get the taper madness phantom aches/pains/problems. I am super paranoid about every tiny weakness or tight spot being a sign of injury. I just wanna run this marathon and get it over with! ;)

I hear ya girl. I understand that feeling oh so well. Two weeks before my October marathon, my husband and I took a week long vacation to Acadia National Park. I hadn't really planned it that way, but it worked out to be one of the best things for me. I was tapering, but forgot all about it. I did some running while there, but mostly did a lot of hiking, climbing and canoeing, which satisfied my need for physical activity and kept my brain occupied. It's definitely a great way to curb the taper madness!

And a side note on hydration. Great move to start drinking now (no, @Stoshew71, not Jack!). I know what you mean about always living on the edge of dehydration. That is definitely me. A month before my Charleston marathon, I got seriously ill. Like, very close to being hospitalized. In hindsight, I think the whole situation was magnified because I was very dehydrated. It taught me a valuable lesson about hydration. A week before Columbus I started drinking a bottle of Gatorade and a glass of fruit juice every day. I know without question that it helped.

Hang in there through the taper crazies. Just over a week left to go...you got this!!!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning You are lucky to have so many HM's all in KS. I am really limited in how many I have available to me within a 5-6 hr drive. Anything further away than that requires a few extra days off work for travel.

I noticed that the 9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO) is only 3 weeks out from 10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO) . My coach and running club member would say that those are a little too close together to allow for a properly timed last long run and Taper.

Swimming last Night and Technically a Rest day today - but I hear my running shoes or Hiking Boots calling out my name!!!.
    Saturday Long Mystery Run with the local club. These tend to be EPIC - Brilliant or Disasters.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Having never trained for a race before, and having my first "official" training run coming up on Tuesday (4-5 runs a week).....I was wondering is it normal to be totally amped up and anxious while waiting for the "official" training to begin? I'm really wanting to run today, but it IS a rest day.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    @pthyay Well done for passing your target! :)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Having never trained for a race before, and having my first "official" training run coming up on Tuesday (4-5 runs a week).....I was wondering is it normal to be totally amped up and anxious while waiting for the "official" training to begin? I'm really wanting to run today, but it IS a rest day.

The way I see it, you already started training.

Having never subscribed to the idea of an official "training plan" and always wrote my own workouts I am not sure I have a good opinion on this. Although, I was excited to get started on trying something new that I planned.

I usually have Sunday's as my rest day. There were so many Sunday's that were nice out (especially after a long winter) that I would think boy it would be great to go for a run today. Instead I would just enjoy a nice walk.
  • lporter229
    Options
    4/1-2.5 miles running with the puppy
    4/2-16 miles
    4/3- rest day
    4/4-4.5 miles
    4/5-6 miles w/ 3 @ tempo
    4/6-5.1 miles
    4/7-7 miles
    4/8 3.3 miles
    4/9 20 miles
    4/10 rest day
    4/11 yoga only
    4/12-8 miles
    4/13-3.3 miles
    4/14-5.4 miles
    4/15-5.1 miles
    4/16-6.5 miles
    4/17-16 miles
    4/18 yoga
    4/19-4.6 miles
    4/20-6 miles w/ 3 @ tempo
    4/21-2.5 miles running with the puppy

Ran with Stella, my puppy, again last night. I was going to do a solo run afterwards, but we were having so much fun, I had to chose between the two because of time. Of course, I chose running (well, run/walking) with the pup. She is really starting to get it and it makes me so happy. I know in time she is going to be a great running partner.

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    Options

Believe it or not, it is pretty normal. I would say you have caught the bug!
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2016
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I noticed that the 9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO) is only 3 weeks out from 10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO) . My coach and running club member would say that those are a little too close together to allow for a properly timed last long run and Taper.
    Yes, I had originally left that 9/25 Broadway Bridge run out of my schedule for that reason. Prior to that the 10/15 KC Marathon was my only planned race for the fall (I may have added a mid November half or two though). Then when I saw how easily I could set up the 6 halfs in 3 weekends in November by adding two somewhat nearby out of state runs I decided that would by my primary fall focus. I am always changing my mind when setting up plans :smiley:

To train for the November half's I am getting my weekly mileage up into full training territory but building to regular back to back long runs. The plan is 60 miles/week for two 3 week cycles with weekend long runs of ~16 and ~12 miles and a midweek long run of ~12 miles.

Since the change in focus I am not sure I will run the 10/15 KC Marathon as a full, I might drop to the half. The reason being if I run that as a full I know I will want to get a good time, and then I only have 3 weeks to bounce back and do those 6 halfs in 3 weekends. That is more worrisome to me than the 9/25 half and 10/15 full. Main reason being I would follow up the 9/25 half the next day with a 12 mile long run and run both as training runs (not racing the 9/25 race but it is SUPER HILLY so it is a great training run)

I still have plenty of time to drop down to the half, and part of me wants to fit in at least one full. So I am waiting to see how training goes this summer before finally committing to the downgrade to the half.

Hope the mystery long run is a great one!
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yes. Totally normal. A lot of time, thought, adjusting, etc. goes into that planning, and then as you start heading into it you keep looking at it, maybe making further tweaks, etc, until finally somewhat falling into a groove and going with it after a few weeks. At least that is how it always goes with me.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    The way I see it, you already started training.

Having never subscribed to the idea of an official "training plan" and always wrote my own workouts I am not sure I have a good opinion on this. Although, I was excited to get started on trying something new that I planned.

I usually have Sunday's as my rest day. There were so many Sunday's that were nice out (especially after a long winter) that I would think boy it would be great to go for a run today. Instead I would just enjoy a nice walk.
    Yeah, all of my running has been training and base building. I think the difference is that I now have a somewhat set schedule, with the Strava plan, and have actual workouts I'll be doing (some hill days and speed workouts)
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Believe it or not, it is pretty normal. I would say you have caught the bug!
    I think I just like to eat, and running lets me eat as much as I want.....
    Yes. Totally normal. A lot of time, thought, adjusting, etc. goes into that planning, and then as you start heading into it you keep looking at it, maybe making further tweaks, etc, until finally somewhat falling into a groove and going with it after a few weeks. At least that is how it always goes with me.

Training plan is one I got from strava, but I already tweaked it, added hill repeats to some easy runs and flip flopped the sat/sun runs so I have a recovery run after long run, instead of an E run, then a LR.....but I think I'm looking forward to being in the plan, so any changes are based on what I'm doing, rather than just thinking/looking ahead.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    4/01: Off, rest day
    4/02: 12 miles, long and easy
    4/03: 8K race - 36:36 (7:22 pace) - new PR! + 1 mile warm up
    4/04: 4 miles, easy
    4/05: 5 miles, easy
    4/06: 5 miles total, 2 miles @ 7:38 (LT) pace (am)
    4/06: 4 miles, easy (pm)
    4/07: 5 miles, easy
    4/08: Off, rest day
    4/09: Half Marathon - 1:53:11 - treated as a long run with strong finish
    4/10: 4 miles, easy
    4/11: 6 miles, easy
    4/12: 7 miles total, 3x1 mile repeats @ 7:19 pace
    4/13: 6 miles, easy (am)
    4/13: 4 miles, easy (pm)
    4/14: 8 miles total, 5 miles @ 7:45 (goal HM) pace
    4/15: Off, rest day
    4/16: 6 miles, easy
    4/17: 13 miles, long and easy
    4/18: 6 miles, easy
    4/19: 7 miles total, 3x1 mile repeats @ 5K effort
    4/20: 5 miles, easy (am)
    4/20: 4 miles, easy (pm)
    4/21: 6 miles, easy
    4/22: Off, rest day (+ core)
    Total: 136.70 miles

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    04/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K) 36:36 - new 8K PR!
    04/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon 1:53:11 - took it nice and easy
    04/24 - Ravenswood Run (5K)
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    07/21 - Esprit de She 5K
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but $60 for a shirt that I'll only wear a couple times is a bit much for my blood.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Yeah, but $60 for a shirt that I'll only wear a couple times is a bit much for my blood.

That was my thoughts exactly...Though I do wear UA shirts on all of my warm weather runs....and I only have 3 right now, so I would probably wear it more than that......still $60 for a shirt.....
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Got a question - I've gotten to where I enjoy my 9-10 mile long runs on Saturdays, but I've only put in ~13 miles this week. What's the impact to doing a 9+ mile long run tomorrow (given that previous to returning to work this week and trying to adjust my running schedule, I've been averaging 30+ miles/week for the last 6 months or more)?