April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Got a question - I've gotten to where I enjoy my 9-10 mile long runs on Saturdays, but I've only put in ~13 miles this week. What's the impact to doing a 9+ mile long run tomorrow (given that previous to returning to work this week and trying to adjust my running schedule, I've been averaging 30+ miles/week for the last 6 months or more)?

If it's a one off, and you go back to maintaining the 25-35% rule after this, it shouldn't be a problem. @Stoshew71 and others will know more than I do, but I feel that if it's a one time thing or only occasionally, it should be ok.
  • pcarvalho3
    pcarvalho3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

exercise.png

3.3K On Wednesday
    5k yesterday
  • lillymacki55
    lillymacki55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Running to beat my March total of 127.71:

04/01 3.36
    04/02 8.26
    04/03 8.38
    04/04 4.82
    04/05 5.07
    04/06 3.51
    04/07 7.53
    04/08 3.96 walking
    04/09 5.76
    04/11 3.41
    04/12 3.18
    04/13 3.09
    04/14 3.19
    04/15 2.32
    04/16 6.40
    04/17 9.31
    04/18 3.19
    04/19 3.15; 16.05 bike ride
    04/20 3.21
    04/21 3.63
    04/22 4.73

Total 96.27
    GOAL = > 127.71

exercise.png

• Knyvern
    Knyvern Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    3.15 today - I am not sure I am going to make my goal but I will keep trying.
    ]
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Got a question - I've gotten to where I enjoy my 9-10 mile long runs on Saturdays, but I've only put in ~13 miles this week. What's the impact to doing a 9+ mile long run tomorrow (given that previous to returning to work this week and trying to adjust my running schedule, I've been averaging 30+ miles/week for the last 6 months or more)?

I say try it out. Might plan on being able to cut it short if you feel you need too. But that's one runner to another. A good week for me will include 3, 7+ mile runs in a week.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

No worries. You should be fine.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - Sounds like you just had a "down week" is all. You're all rested up now and ready to get right back to where you were the week before, and could even go for higher mileage!
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Have been running minimally in the past couple of weeks because of pain in my foot. Just got myself to go to a doctor and he confirmed a stress fracture :( No running for six weeks. Cancel plan to run my first HM :( Challenge is to keep doing something active so I don't just deteriorate!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    Have been running minimally in the past couple of weeks because of pain in my foot. Just got myself to go to a doctor and he confirmed a stress fracture :( No running for six weeks. Cancel plan to run my first HM :( Challenge is to keep doing something active so I don't just deteriorate!

Oh that's too bad! Hope it heals fast!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    Maybe water running if that is an option? Or spinning perhaps?
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Ugh, fitting in running this week has been a nightmare, courtesy of work. I couldn't run yesterday, so I've run today and will run both days of the weekend. I'm hoping that as long as I keep my pace slow (borderline glacial) that it should be ok, even though I'm not used to 3 consecutive running days.

3rd April - 13.1 miles - Half PB 2:04:35
    5th April - 2.43 miles
    6-8th April - away
    9th April - 3.09 miles
    10th April - 6.4 miles
    12th April - 3.67 miles
    14th April - 4.53 miles
    17th April - 7.37 miles
    19th April - 7.18 miles
    22nd April - 3.07 miles

MTD - 50.84/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn, @Elise4270, @lporter229, @WhatMeRunning - thanks for the input! I'm thinking I'm gonna have to change my weekly schedule. I'm just not putting in the miles after supper (prob mostly lazy - the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak!), but if I return to a 3ish miler before work a few days/week, and keep a late lunch run (which tends to about 3.3 miles) so they're about 7 hours apart, then I can put in enough miles to support a 9.5 mile run on Saturday.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn, @Elise4270, @lporter229, @WhatMeRunning - thanks for the input! I'm thinking I'm gonna have to change my weekly schedule. I'm just not putting in the miles after supper (prob mostly lazy - the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak!), but if I return to a 3ish miler before work a few days/week, and keep a late lunch run (which tends to about 3.3 miles) so they're about 7 hours apart, then I can put in enough miles to support a 9.5 mile run on Saturday.

That sounds good to me. I'm struggling with finding the right balance to keep my long runs at the right % of my weekly mileage...But some weeks I just say the heck with it and do a longer long run....then go back to my normally scheduled program
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

You should be fine. You aren't regularly running 50% of your miles in one shot, so the injury risk is nowhere near the same. Go for it. This is just a fluke week :)
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have no idea if this is a great deal. Seems like it's really expensive. Guaranteed entry to the Chicago Marathon. $750USD. I mean, dang. I like spending money and having fun. But that better include air fare, hotel, grub, swag, and a massage.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-2016-bank-of-america-chicago-marathon-runners-world-vip-registration-22045184741?aff=Emailblast

And the Marine Corp Marathon for 440$
    https://mcmregistration.com/Register/?event=35504
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you have been consistently doing 30+ mpw, but one week your weekly mileage dips a bit. I personally would not fret over the long run. In fact, you will end up doing something like this for a taper to a marathon or HM anyway. Something that kristine is going through right now.

EDIT: What I meant was doing your normal LR in this particular case should be just fine.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I just checked my calendar. only 7 weeks until my 10k! First ever race that I'll actually be racing instead of fun running....then 3 weeks later my first HM....working on setting reasonable goals for the 2....HM goals are nominally finish and do it in 2:30:00 or less....for the 10K I have no clue.

On a different note. With my wife wanting to take up Running, is it OK, if I do like 1-2 miles at her pace (12:00-13:00/mile) on my rest days? I run T/Th/S/S for training, and was thinking I could go with my wife M/W/F....but not sure how good/bad that is.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I have no idea if this is a great deal. Seems like it's really expensive. Guaranteed entry to the Chicago Marathon. $750USD. I mean, dang. I like spending money and having fun. But that better include air fare, hotel, grub, swag, and a massage.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-2016-bank-of-america-chicago-marathon-runners-world-vip-registration-22045184741?aff=Emailblast

And the Marine Corp Marathon for 440$
    https://mcmregistration.com/Register/?event=35504

For that money, Deena Kastor better be the one giving me that massage.

• Stoshew71
    edited April 2016
    Options
    On a different note. With my wife wanting to take up Running, is it OK, if I do like 1-2 miles at her pace (12:00-13:00/mile) on my rest days? I run T/Th/S/S for training, and was thinking I could go with my wife M/W/F....but not sure how good/bad that is.

When I would run with my wife, I considered them as extra recovery miles that need to be factored into my mileage. Under the schedule you are suggesting, you would be running every day (regardless of pace).

If you have a bike, I would bike it with her. Or meld her schedule into yours so that you still have rest days. maybe do your normal training but then grab a couple extra recovery miles with her immediately after?

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

When I would run with my wife, I considered them as extra recovery miles that need to be factored into my mileage.

I'm trying to encourage her to run, but I am also trying to make sure that I meet my training goals each week to, so I'm juggling things a bit.