April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @juliet3455 The shoes don't feel stiff to me. I only tried two others, one were the Nike Wildhorse (those defenitely felt stiffer and bulkier to me) and some Salmings (forgot which, but they were for sure narrower in the toes than the Asics that I bought). I had to run across a few kms of road to get to the trails, and the soles felt a bit funny on the concrete, but once I got to the trails, they were great.

Good thing I posted a pic of my new shoes yesterday morning, because a few hours later they were already looking a lot dirtier! They really helped on the muddy trails. The didn't work any miracles - in parts of the trail someone put thick branches to "help", as far as I could tell to with the worst puddles, but the wet wood was so slick, those were actually the only parts of the trail where I had to slow to a walk. Might have been a bit crazy to take new shoes out for a long run right away, but I didn't regret it, I'm actually loving them!

Today I tested my second/third new items (yes, I didn't limit myself to the shoes, after reading @kristinegift 's blog post recently I was inspired to look for new running shorts. But with those, I was patient enought to waint until today to take them out for a run. The first pair turned out to be horrible for me - they were actually already riding up by the time I had walked down the stairs to ground level, ugh... I turned right back and changed into the second pair before the run - and those were great. And they have pockets. Win!

---

ETA: Okay, I've decided to write "weekly summaries" again - hopefully I'll be better sticking to my strength training plans if I'm forced to write down what I did and did not do.

19.04.2016 - 11.8 km "hill training" (=visited my favourite mountain...)
    20.04.2016 - 6.5 km "interval training" (=zombie chases)
    21.04.2016 - YAYOG basic program, W1D1
    22.04.2016 - 5.8 km
    23.04.2016 - 23.0 km long run
    24.04.2016 - 8.9 km run, YAYOG basic program, W1D2 (after the DOMS in my arms from Thursday's session has finally disappered)

Monthly running goal: 188.8km (of 200km) done

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Great time - and the third HM PR in a row, that's amazing!
    I know what you feel about feeling cheated if the distance was short. My 10k this month showed up as 9.8km on my watch, 9.7km after upload to strava. I was really disappointed about that - should have been a certified course as well, so I coudn't quite believe it. I clicked at lots of other peoples activities on Strava that it showed me in the flybys, and all there distances were scattered between 9.8km and 10.3km. There were a few parts of the road under bridges and two underpasses under the river that might have thrown the GPS off...
    Finally, I've decided to treat the time as a "real" 10k time, but I'm still trying to find another 10k asap to get a PR I'm more willing to trust - hopefully my watch won't report less than 10k at the finish line again! But you've got plenty of halfs lined up in the future, so I guess there will be plenty of opportunities to beat your new PR on a "longer half marathon" :-)

@5BeautifulDays Thanks for the feedback on the Saucony Guides. I had heard they'd changed them a bit between versions, that always makes me sceptic, hate when I like a shoe and then the company goes and "improves" it. Guess the 9s will be even further away from my dear 7s then - I'll definetly look out for an older model on sale rather than the newest version then.
    And a 10k trail race sounds tough! I'm always much slower on trails than on roads, coming within 5 minutes of your 10k PR sounds pretty impressive to me!

@greenolivetree Great that you don't let it stop you from being active! Biking and walking are nice exercise too, fresh air and cardio, sounds like a good way to deal with no running.

@Elise4270 Oh noes, I hope your foot will be fine! The race sounds like a really huge event - almost 25,000 participants? With all those people, did you got your fair share of the fudge and beer?

@MobyCarp I can't believe you ran a half marathon the same week as Boston! I'm starting to be really excited and more than a little nervous about my half in two weeks, and you run one as part of your "recovery", wow. Congrats on the age group win!

@louubelle16 Way to go on that 5k PR!

@ariceroni Great race! I hope your knee will get better soon. It sounds like you have a good plan for letting it heal. If only strength training / core work were as much fun as running...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I know what you feel about feeling cheated if the distance was short.

@Elise4270 Oh noes, I hope your foot will be fine! The race sounds like a really huge event - almost 25,000 participants? With all those people, did you got your fair share of the fudge and beer?

I thought about the liquor to numb my foot. But figured risking dehydration wasn't worth it. No fudge either, I can't do chocolate :disappointed: I did however, get the most expensive meal of my life today. I ordered a special meal of the day, and it was 38USD. Ooops! Was good though.

I had a killer 5k that would have been a 10 minute PR and the course was short too. I think it happens to all of us, if you run enough races.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    After looking at the map data for my race today there were some notable oddities recorded on the route around the KC Police Academy training grounds. So maybe the GPS data is wrong, but oddly enough it was wrong for every runner I talked to about it by a similar distance. :confused:

@WhatMeRunning and anyone else who has experienced Wonky GPS data. If everyone experiences Data Blips in roughly the same area it might not be caused by Trees/Foliage reducing Signal but rather an interfering signal - such as a Micro-Wave Link between Cellphone sites, Faulty Cellphone Transmitter or an Electrical Insulator on a power line going bad. Basically anything that might create a localized interference and cause loss of signal reception will reduce accuracy. A common example Is listening to the old AM/FM radio in your car and you drive under a High Voltage Power Line and lose the radio for a while close to the power line.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    The LED devil horns and devil tail were delivered while I was out of town, but I finally got back to Pittsburgh tonight, and decided to try them out for my run to see how they felt. The blinking LED horns/headband was comfortable, but the tail kept on bouncing off the back of my leg which became annoying on a 1 hour run. Still, I found a few solutions to wrap it around my fuel belt to avoid further irritation and I may be able to attach it to my shorts so it sticks more to the side.

Also, now that I'm back running in hills, I tested out my heart rate a bit more on tonight's run, and the 7:12 pace/3:10 group is going to definitely be a challenge, but I'll get a better feel for what pacing I can pull off as the week progresses. Given it was comfortably challenging running even splits for my 3:45 Pittsburgh marathon last year starting the first 5 miles at a 160-163 heart rate, I'm not too sure I'll be able to sustain a 3:10 marathon if my first few miles are in the 163-165 range (what I'm seeing as of late at my target pace). Still, it is amazing what a week of tapering and cooler race weather can do on that front. Worst case, I'll set a heart rate limit, and pull back to the 3:15 pace group if I start exceeding it too early in the race.

4/1 - 0.5 mile
    4/2 - 6.5 miles
    4/3 - 20 miles
    4/5 - 4 miles
    4/6 - 8 miles
    4/8 - 2 miles
    4/10 - 13.1 miles (Ironman Florida 70.3, 1:40:14 run, 5:07 total time)
    4/13 - 9 miles
    4/14 - 21.5 miles
    4/15 - 7 miles
    4/17 - 13.5 miles
    4/18 - 6.5 miles
    4/19 - 8 miles
    4/20 - 7.5 miles
    4/21 - 8 miles
    4/23 - 6 miles
    4/24 - 7 miles

Total: 148 miles
    Goal: 160 miles
    Remaining: 12 miles

Upcoming races:
    5/1 - Pittsburgh Marathon
    9/25 - Ironman 70.3 Augusta
    10/9 - Chicago Marathon
    11/5 - Ironman Florida

@elise4270 - Glad you survived the half, and I'm sure with enough rest and recovery you'll have no trouble PR'ing.

@mobycarp - Glad the HM didn't hurt too much that close to a marathon. After an effort like yours on Monday, I'd be milking my recovery period for as long as possible, still, when you have the fitness to win your age group, might as well give it a shot :)
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Just a quick report - did my planned long-run yesterday, but cut it a bit short, mostly because of other stuff going on schedule-wise. I did volunteer for my first time with a run the Macon Tracks club was administering - it was fun.

I'd ordered in some Stingers (Orange Blossom) and some Nuun for my long runs. Did half the pack of Stingers round mile 2.75, and finished 'em a couple miles later (wound up with 6.9 miles). Couldn't tell that they made any difference in my energy level or overall feel. Tasty, though.

The Nuun I'd planned for post-run recovery. But I made a significant error - I have an old 20 oz bottle that I'm "recycling" for a Nuun hydration vehicle, and thought I'd be swuft (old high school word - swift and smooth) and break the tablet into the bottle, and then pour the water over it when I was done. But I didn't realize the bottle WASN'T bone-dry, and thus the tablet halves tried to effervesce in the couple drops of water they found, and when I poured the rest over, it had kinda glued to the bottom, and didn't really work right. It was okay flavor-wise, but again, I couldn't tell that it was that much better than plain water, or water that had Mio flavoring added.

So is it just me? or did I use them wrong? Of course, I'm also the guy that when I was on Adkins and when I lost 50 pounds and so on - "Don't you just have all kinds of energy now, don't you just feel so much better?" and my response has always been - "Never felt de-energized or badly before (aside from feeling badly about how I looked to myself in the mirror/pictures)." I ingest enough caffeine on a regular basis (coffee and Diet Mountain Dew) that it's rare that I'm actually "tired" or "run down" - I just go until I stop. :)
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    04/01 3.1 miles easy
    04/06 4.5 miles comfortable run
    04/08 10 miles much better than the last long run, managed to get out of the habit of walking breaks
    04/14 4.5 miles
    04/15 4.8 miles
    04/19 5 miles
    04/20 5 miles
    04/23 13.1 miles Practice half marathon from Bristol to Bath with the 2 people I'm running with for Edinburgh to see whether we could get the distance and we did it!!! Felt really good up until the last 2 km which were rather very painful and completed it in a time quicker than the sweeper bus of doom. Legs are still feeling a bit tight after a couple of days, I foresee a long foam rolling session later. Feeling good about Edinburgh in 5 weeks time and should be able to get in the last 20 miles by the end of the month with a couple of recovery style runs and a couple of 6 milers.

exercise.png

03/20 Canterbury Riverside 10k 1:16:12
    05/29 Edinburgh Half marathon
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @9voice9 Yeah you can't let nuun tabs touch any moisture before you drop them in water or they end up as gooey messy things. I think nuun tabs are meant to be dissolved in 12-16 oz of water. I'll do as much as 18 oz, but anything more than that and it gets pretty watered down and unappealing/unnnoticeable. I drink water with nuun 1-2 times a day since it has some sodium, magnesium, etc. and it helps with recovery for me. I have been getting fewer foot cramps by adding 1-2 nuun tabs into my water diet. Plus they're fun to watch fizz :) Note: It's probably not going to perk you up, but it will make you feel less "eh" later in the day.
  • ChrissalmonPT
    ChrissalmonPT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Forgot to log most of runs for last week:
    17/4: 3 miles
    18/4: 4 miles
    19/4: 4 miles
    20/4: 3 miles
    21/4 3 miles
    22/4: 3 miles
    23/4: 10.4 miles
    24/4: 6 miles
    25/4: 3 miles

Total for April: 108 Miles, my goal was 100 miles, so I am going to change it to 125 miles for April
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Yes! I can hardly believe it, but it was a year ago! What a long year it has been, and the injury (and hobbling around on crutches - and then getting an upper body injury because of the crutches, lol) was all kind of a metaphor for my life at the time. After 15 years and a lengthy, difficult time making my decision, I also switched jobs (careers, kind of), too. I am so much better off now and very happy to be back! Once I lose a few more pounds off my joints, I'm going to train for my first marathon - in November. It's okay that you didn't notice I am back - I say some really oddball things - probably better that way. ;) jk

Thx for the warm welcome.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - that nuun sounds like a mess! Oh well, live and learn. I have some but I only used it once, but after reading @kristinegift's use of them I think I'll give them another try.

@4leighbee - wow, a year! I didn't realize it had been so long. Sounds like a year of growth.

@ohhim - lol, the devil tail and horns. I love the image of you running alone outside in that outfit, alone, scaring little kids.

4/1- 5.1 miles in the rain
    4/2 - rest/travel day
    4/3 - 34 miles on bike
    4/4 - 5.1 miles (intervals)
    4/5 - 5.1 miles - intervals (although slower than yesterday)
    4/6 - 22 miles on bike + Strength training
    4/7 - 4.2 miles - slow and steady
    4/8 - strength training
    4/9 - 34 miles on bike
    4/10 - 50 miles on bike
    4/11 - 5.1 miles - recovery run from all the biking + strength training
    4/12 - 4.2 miles
    4/13 - rest day (biking rained out).
    4/14 - 4.8 miles
    4/15 - sick day
    4/16 - 4.2 very slow miles (feeling better)
    4/17 - 35 miles on bike
    4/18 - 5 miles (intervals)
    4/19 - strength training
    4/20 - 4 miles + 24 mile bike ride
    4/21 - 5 miles
    4/22 - strength training
    4/23 - 34 miles on bike
    4/24 - 50 miles on bike
    4/25 - 3.9 miles - recovery run

exercise.png
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @instantmartian What a bike story! I'm not sure I'd ever want to get back on a bike after one disintegrated on me out on the trail, lol! I hope you give the Perkiomen another try someday--it really is lovely. I'm looking forward to running (and maybe riding some) on the C&O canal path this summer--I've heard it is similarly nice.

To be honest, that's part of the reason why it was a good seven years before I ever got onto a bike, again. I was actually a little blindsided by the fat bike thing. Our friends have a hunting cabin in Rothrock State Forest, and we spend a weekend over there with them a few times per year. My boyfriend mentioned something about doing it a few weeks prior, and then there was no other talk about fat bikes, and I completely forgot he even mentioned it. Then we roll up to the cabin and there are five of them sitting outside. Crap. I wasn't even properly prepared, clothing wise, but I managed. It was a blast, though. My boyfriend wants me to get a road bike so we can go for rides together. Bikes are just so darned expensive, and I don't know how I feel about having my feet attached to something that I have to balance on. We'll see. Maybe one day.

I hope you're feeling better, soon! I haven't been doing nearly the miles I had intended to since February. I have a 10-miler on Sunday. We'll see how that goes. I'm just hoping for a good time. It's going to be a super crowded one, anyway.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    4/1: Rest day!
    4/2: 5 miles
    4/3: 13.1 Caesar Rodney HM!
    4/4: 3 miles with Joe to Go crew
    4/5: Rest day
    4/6: 10 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
    4/7: 7 miles tempo (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    4/8: Rest day
    4/9: 22 miles << Last super long run for this training cycle!
    4/10: 10 miles
    4/11: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    4/12: Rest day!!!
    4/13: 10 miles @ marathon pace
    4/14: 8 miles (am), 6.4 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    4/15: Rest day!!
    4/16: 10.75 miles + 6k (3.75 miles) race = 14.5 miles
    4/17: 7.1 miles
    4/18: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    4/19: Rest day!
    4/20: 8 miles
    4/21: 6.4 miles with Thursday crew
    4/22: Rest day!
    4/23: 6 miles
    4/24: 10 miles big group run
    4/25: 4 miles with Joe to Go crew

Spring has sprung! It's lighter earlier and our Monday coffee run group has gotten bigger as the morning temperatures have stabilized in the high-40s. Nice, easy run today. Had a weird glitch with my Garmin at the end of my run. I stopped it at 4 on the dot, hit stop, then the screen went black with the Garmin logo like it restarted, then it went back to the finish screen so I could save it, but it stole .06 from me so my pace was calculated slower than I actually ran. Hope this is a one time only issue!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM: New PR! 1:40:13
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
    5/15: Princeton 5k << social event, not racing!
    6/11: Pacers Princeton Halfway Half (Princeton, NJ)
    7/4: a fourth of july race somewhere!
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have been a total slacker this weekend - Saturday was spent in New York City seeing Something Rotten! doing a little walking around, and bar hopping because we couldn't think of anything better to do with our couple hours before and couple hours after the play. Sunday was spent sleeping in, shampooing my carpet (it so desperately needed it, and the temperature/humidity was perfect for leaving all the windows wide open for it to dry), and then visiting a friend whose birthday party we missed because we were in NYC. I will be slogging out some warm miles this afternoon between work and an evening meeting. It looks like the temp is supposed to be around 81 when I'm out there, so it'll be very slow going, but I need to get something in.
  • lillymacki55
    lillymacki55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Running to beat my March total of 127.71:

04/01 3.36
    04/02 8.26
    04/03 8.38
    04/04 4.82
    04/05 5.07
    04/06 3.51
    04/07 7.53
    04/08 3.96 walking because I climbed 154 flights
    04/09 5.76
    04/11 3.41
    04/12 3.18
    04/13 3.09
    04/14 3.19
    04/15 2.32
    04/16 6.40
    04/17 9.31
    04/18 3.19
    04/19 3.15; 16.05 bike ride
    04/20 3.21
    04/21 3.63
    04/22 4.73
    04/23 9.49
    04/24 8.08
    04/25 3.63

Total 116.47
    GOAL = > 127.71

exercise.png

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    April

1-no run yet, maybe later
    2-13.2mi
    3-nothing
    4-nothing
    5-5.35
    6-yoga tonight
    7-nope
    8-late night tonight(ani difranco concert), so no run this morning
    9-nothing
    10-nothing
    11-4.27mi
    12- slept in
    13-yoga (foam rolling-esque aerial yoga)
    14-nothing
    15-nothing
    16-my bacholette party-lots of dancing
    17-recovery from party.
    18-nothing
    19-4.86mi hard one
    20-5.00mi and yoga
    21-nothing
    22-2+ hours of aerial yoga
    23-1+ hour of aerial yoga
    24-nothing
    25-nothing yet, maybe later

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k
    June 11-Rock n Sole 1/4 Marathon?
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half
    July 20-Cream Puff 5k?
    July 30-National Watermelon Day 5k?

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    4/1- Rest
    4/2- 6.23 miles
    4/3- 4.01 miles
    4/4- Rest
    4/5- 4.02 miles
    4/6- Rest
    4/7- 4.02 Miles
    4/8- Rest
    4/9- 6.24 Miles
    4/10- 4.01 Miles
    4/11- Rest
    4/12- 4.14 Miles
    4/13- 2.2 Miles (first Wednesday Run)
    4/14- 4.13 Miles
    4/15- Much needed Rest
    4/16- 8.2
    4/16- 1.4 <- Second little jog, with wife
    4/17- Rest <- made myself rest
    4/18- Rest <- Normal scheduled Rest day
    4/19- 4.1
    4/20- Rest<- Part of cut back/heal up
    4/21- 4.28 Miles
    4/22- 2.0<- Wife’s second run!
    4/23- 6.3
    4/24- Rest <- took a day after pushing on my 10K TT yesterday.
    4/25-Rest

Today is a rest day, but tomorrow starts "real" HM training with a nice 45m-1h run at E which, for me should be somewhere between 10:45 and 11:15/mile.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    4/1-2.5 miles running with the puppy
    4/2-16 miles
    4/3- rest day
    4/4-4.5 miles
    4/5-6 miles w/ 3 @ tempo
    4/6-5.1 miles
    4/7-7 miles
    4/8 3.3 miles
    4/9 20 miles
    4/10 rest day
    4/11 yoga only
    4/12-8 miles
    4/13-3.3 miles
    4/14-5.4 miles
    4/15-5.1 miles
    4/16-6.5 miles
    4/17-16 miles
    4/18 yoga
    4/19-4.6 miles
    4/20-6 miles w/ 3 @ tempo
    4/21-2.5 miles running with the puppy
    4/22-5 miles +0.8 w/ puppy
    4/23-12 miles +1.5 w/ puppy
    4/24- rest day...lots of walking though!

Just adding in my runs from the weekend, icluding Friday. Saturday was the last "long" run with my friend prior to the Flying Pig next Saturday. She knocked it out strong. Feeling pretty good about next weekend and her chances for a PR. Just hoping the weather cooperates.
    exercise.png
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Miles in April
    4/1 1.5 miles
    4/2 rest
    4/3 8.23 miles
    4/4 2 miles
    4/5 rest
    4/6 rest
    4/7 3 miles
    4/8 1.5 miles
    4/9 rest
    4/10 3.67 miles
    4/11 rest
    4/12 5.27 miles
    4/13 3.6 miles
    4/14 rest
    4/15 3.6 miles
    4/16 rest
    4/17 9.2 miles
    4/18 rest
    4/19 rest
    4/20 rest
    4/21 rest
    4/22 rest (ankle was not feeling right)
    4/23 3.1 miles
    4/24 10.25 miles
    4/25 rest

51.35 down ...8.65 left for April! Keep up the great work everyone!