Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    ssteria01 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    janjunie wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with cardio, just like there is nothing wrong with women lifting heavy. Anything that gets someone active and off their *kitten* is a good thing. To each their own...seriously.

I never said there was anything wrong with cardio, (I do cardio myself) but doing only cardio is not the best method. You will plateau in your weight loss or strength progression; which ever your goal is. Mixing up the different types of exercise is the best for your body.

What if your goal is to run a marathon?

You should still do weight lifting to keep your legs strong.

Concurrently or within the context of a periodised training programme?

If concurrently what if the person has a limited time to train due to work / family commitments? How would you ensure sufficient recovery to maximise performance?

By strong do you mean neuromuscular adaptation or something different given strength as a term can be used differently within the context of running?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with cardio, just like there is nothing wrong with women lifting heavy. Anything that gets someone active and off their *kitten* is a good thing. To each their own...seriously.

I never said there was anything wrong with cardio, (I do cardio myself) but doing only cardio is not the best method. You will plateau in your weight loss or strength progression; which ever your goal is. Mixing up the different types of exercise is the best for your body.

You should still do weight lifting to keep your legs strong. I understand that everyone has different goals. I guess I should have been more clear because my post was geared more towards the idea that woman have about cardio on a treadmill is the only and best way to get in shape. If you are training for a marathon, then yes obviously cardio should out weigh your weight lifting, BUT weight lifting should still be in your workout plan.

Wut?

Not really, a runners legs are strong. A resistance program or a variety of other exercises might make sense to work on imbalances and power. But a "lift heavy" program for a marathoner is going to sabotage his or her work.

The idea that women that do cardio only spend time on a treadmill is both spacious and condescending.

My daughters run, rock climb, fence, skate, box and do gymnastics - some of that competitively. Strength training work may be a compliment to some of those activities but but weight training is not and, for their desire and goals, a main or important activity.

I NEVER said for a marathon runner to lift HEAVY....I did say to lift weights.

So you're back-pedalling from your original posts now?
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm a reasonably successful female marathon runner. I don't lift weights. I do bodyweight exercises and pilates, and I do lots and lots of running, and I am quite strong and don't look like a stick. I also have NO interest whatsoever in what men think about me.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    More importantly, weight training helps you become more effective in whatever cardio you choose.

Dubious at best, probably false.

Cycling is all about watts per kilogram. Look at contestants in le Tour de France and you'll see emaciated cyclists who look like they're escaping from a concentration camp. Bench presses don't help cyclists; arm and chest muscles are just more weight to carry up the mountain. Leg presses don't help cyclists; we follow periodized training plans and target specific power zones.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Guys! There is this one type of thing that you should do. It's for everyone no matter your personal preferences or diverse goals. If you don't, you'll be stick thin (which is terrible) and men won't look at you!

Just do it!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Is that claim that lifting burns more fat than cardio actually true? I'd like to see some literature on that.

Partially true. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25162652

HIIT takes home the gold. Then resistance training (heavy), then steady state cardio.

Do I read this right in that calorie burn is measured only during the actual exercise? I'd be more interested in the results if the subjects had to live in a metabolic chamber for a month.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Whatever. Do both. I hate cardio and like the way my body looks from lifting heavy so I choose not to, but I don't think there's anything wrong with doing cardio.

I think a lot of women overdo cardio with a physique in mind that really doesn't come from tons of cardio and low calories...that kind of stinks. The fact of the matter is we need to pick a goal and eat and train to achieve it. Not everyone has the same goals and I think your post is a little off putting OP...even as a heavy lifter.
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm curious - for those ladies that do lift heavy in this thread, what rep range do you find the most effective? For me, and I know for a lot of guys, the focus is on the 4-6 or sometimes 6-8 rep range. I've heard a couple women comment that they find the 8-10 rep range the most effective and comfortable.

Interested in hearing your comments.

I usually do the 8-10 range simply because it's usually weight I can handle. 10 just sounds like a good goal. I sometimes don't even get to 5 but I never really thought much about it until now.

P.S you may want to start your own thread on this to get more answers.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sigh. What a caricature of what cardio exercises are and how they function.

Why the false dichotomy?
    Do both.

ONE OR THE OTHER!

YOU MUST CHOOSE ONLY ONE!!

THIS!

IS!!

MFP!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm curious - for those ladies that do lift heavy in this thread, what rep range do you find the most effective? For me, and I know for a lot of guys, the focus is on the 4-6 or sometimes 6-8 rep range. I've heard a couple women comment that they find the 8-10 rep range the most effective and comfortable.

Interested in hearing your comments.

Depends. If I'm in a deficit, I want high intensity and lower reps. I just want to keep weight on the bar and muscle on my body. In maintenance, I like to run a hybrid program of power and hypertrophy-so I'm running my compound lifts heavy and in the 5 rep range, and isolation work in the higher rep range. And I like it this way in a surplus as well. I feel like my hypertrophy work benefits from my strength work as I'm able to lift heavier weight at a higher rep range.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

You should still do weight lifting to keep your legs strong. I understand that everyone has different goals. I guess I should have been more clear because my post was geared more towards the idea that woman have about cardio on a treadmill is the only and best way to get in shape. If you are training for a marathon, then yes obviously cardio should out weigh your weight lifting, BUT weight lifting should still be in your workout plan.

Wut?

Not really, a runners legs are strong. A resistance program or a variety of other exercises might make sense to work on imbalances and power. But a "lift heavy" program for a marathoner is going to sabotage his or her work.

The idea that women that do cardio only spend time on a treadmill is both spacious and condescending.

My daughters run, rock climb, fence, skate, box and do gymnastics - some of that competitively. Strength training work may be a compliment to some of those activities but but weight training is not and, for their desire and goals, a main or important activity.

I NEVER said for a marathon runner to lift HEAVY....I did say to lift weights.

So you're back-pedalling from your original posts now?

You'd be surprised at the calorie burn.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I agree that strength training and cardio are both beneficial especially for your health BUT your post comes off as judgmental. Like the way you workout is superior to how others' CHOOSE to workout.
    ALOT of females think that Cardio is the way to go....that could NOT be more wrong. Why restrict your body to just cardio?

Maybe it is the way to go for some people, but really it's not your business just like it's not mine.

Ok, but if someone is in here thinking "why aren't my cardio workouts more effective for developing the body type I want," don't you think it would be helpful for them to see a post like this? If someone does cardio because they just love doing cardio, that's one thing. If they're doing it because they want to build muscle and become toned, that's unfortunate. We should be trying to help others learn, not be so set in what we do that if someone suggests something else we get defensive.

Not really.
    The phrase "lift heavy" is pretty vague and is one that sometimes causes confusion on the boards. People think that means specific numbers. The suggestion to add weight training is a pretty common one around here as well.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Is that claim that lifting burns more fat than cardio actually true? I'd like to see some literature on that.

Partially true. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25162652

HIIT takes home the gold. Then resistance training (heavy), then steady state cardio.

Exercising with weights had the lowest burn in that paper.
    Also cardio at 70% is half *kitten* cardio.

They weren't even exercising at equal intensities.

• jofjltncb6
    Options
    Lifting Heavy is for Big muscle gain..lifting lighter and more reps will tone you..depends on what each person is looking for..

LOL

No, seriously, I LedOL.

(I love these threads for posts just like this one.)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

SQUATS AND DEADLIFTS*!!!

(and RKC planks.)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Well that escalated quickly.

As it always will (and honestly, always should) when someone descends from on high to preach their lofty opinion to the masses.