1000 calorie burn?!

Options
13»

Replies

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    At steady state, for example, I burn 14-16 calories per minute running. If I run faster I burn more, if I run slower I burn less.

Would be interested in your opinions on these studies:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20613650
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16260982
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    At steady state, for example, I burn 14-16 calories per minute running. If I run faster I burn more, if I run slower I burn less.

Would be interested in your opinions on these studies:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20613650
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16260982

Not exactly sure what kind if opinion you are looking for. Both studies are looking at arcane aspects of some type of exercise. Neither is particularly significant IMO outside of whatever niche they were exploring (unless I missed something).

If you saw something more meaningful, let me know and I'll go back and re-read.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Its possible. I've done it. Once. But it is basically super high intensity HIIT for that whole hour. I wouldn't do that regularly unless you are getting a lot of rest/recovery.
    That's not at all how that works.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I'm inclined to just base my opinion on the Stanford research tbh
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Ha! For me it would take 5 hours at least in the gym to burn 1,000! Not happening in an hour.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

None of the numbers listed in that article are particularly accurate. You can't list a single number for an exercise and apply to all individuals.

Not that I am advocating running as the ultimate exercise for everyone, but it does provide a benchmark in that it is an activity that can be sustained at a consistent effort for an hour; and the intensity can also be varied--from a medium steady state effort (if fitness level is adequate) to an all out effort. It also requires minimal skill, so it is not technique dependent.

Lets look at the other exercises listed:

1. Kettlebell Swings: great exercise. Can be done at moderate intensity or high intensity. Many people will say "you can burn 20 cals/min doing kettlebell swings". Maybe, maybe not. That value has been reported in only one study that I know of and it used some math tricks to get there. In any case, even if true, you are not comparing apples to apples--a max effort kettlebell swing cannot be sustained for an hour. And if one has the fitness ability to hit that level of calorie burn at a max effort, chances are they could achieve the same thing doing an all out run for the same period of time. Submax kettlebell swings (i.e. at a pace that can be sustained for 20 min continuously) have been shown to be a modest aerobic effort, with intensities in the 62%-65% of max category.

2. Burpees: Another great exercise--arguably one of the best body weight exercises you can do. Once again, however, one would have trouble doing continuous burpees for 60 min straight. And if you could, per the numbers reported in that article, the calorie burn numbers would be about the same as running at the same effort level it would take to do burpees.

3. Jumping Rope: great exercise, good calorie burn. Again, at the levels necessary to equal/surpass that of running, probably cannot do it for an hour straight. Actually, jumping rope is kind of like running in place, so calorie burns will be similar.

4. Battle Ropes: No. Not even.

5. Walking up hill with a load: Are you kidding? With a calorie burn listed at 400 per hour.

6. Dancing. Fun, but unless you set yourself on fire, no.

7. Rock Climbing. Now you're just running out of activities to list.

8. Inline Skating. Similar to road cycling, with the same benefits and limitations. Great exercise, but very difficult to keep a sustained effort similar to running. If your legs stop moving while running, you don't keep moving. Not a superior calorie burn.

9. Rowing. This is one that can come close or equal, but requires skill and focus to maintain the effort level.

10. Boxing. Can burn a lot of calories in short bursts, but cannot sustain that high effort for an entire hour.

• jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm 228 and burn around 1200cals running for 60 minutes at a slowish pace (8kmp/hr). When I weighed 150 it used to take me about 90 minutes at a much faster pace to burn the same. One of the very few advantages of me being this fat!
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I'm inclined to just base my opinion on the Stanford research tbh

CFR please.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Ha! For me it would take 5 hours at least in the gym to burn 1,000! Not happening in an hour.

I almost made it it to 1000 calories per hour for 5 hours today thanks to racing in brutal 30 mph winds...

26197160415_bf9c6eb855_o.jpg by