Headaches with Lower Carb Diet

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
So, I've been following Dr. Ludwig's Always Hungry diet with my spouse. It's a lower carb, but not no-carb diet. No grains or starchy vegetables, except for beans and legumes are allowed. I'm also allowed dairy and fruit, except for bananas and higher GI fruits. I've felt surprisingly full on the diet and actually have trouble finishing my evening meal. However, I now have a fairly acute headache that's lasted about a day and a half. Is this typical of a lower carb regimen?

Replies

• drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    How low is your carb intake?

Many people who transition to a low carb diet experience some side effects as their body transitions. Give it a few days to see if your body gets used to it. Could be something as simple as a sugar withdrawal.
  • rosebette
    Options
    Generally, it's just under 100 grams, so not extreme. In fact, on day 1 of the diet, it was around 120. I also have a rash on my left arm.

I'm not a huge sugar eater, but before the diet, I did eat whole wheat bread for sandwiches, whole wheat English muffins for breakfast, and occasionally brown rice or pasta for dinner. I'm still getting sugar from fruit.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    So, I've been following Dr. Ludwig's Always Hungry diet with my spouse. It's a lower carb, but not no-carb diet. No grains or starchy vegetables, except for beans and legumes are allowed. I'm also allowed dairy and fruit, except for bananas and higher GI fruits. I've felt surprisingly full on the diet and actually have trouble finishing my evening meal. However, I now have a fairly acute headache that's lasted about a day and a half. Is this typical of a lower carb regimen?

I have been <50 grams of carbs daily for 1.5 years. In my case (age 63 at the time) I expect I had carb withdrawal because it was hellish for the first two weeks that I went off sugar and all grains cold turkey. Now I can not remember when I had a headache since that time.

Different people respond differently to the same way of eating. I never had any issues that lead me to see a doctor but one should seek medical advice if one becomes concerned.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

it's typical of people not increasing their salt intake to compensate for the loss of sodium resulting from reduced insulin levels as carbs are reduced. Drinking salty stock / bouillon / broth drinks typically fixes it.
  • rosebette
    Options
    I also woke up last night with fierce leg cramps. I got up and took some potassium, and my daughter, who had just come home from a friend's parent's funeral was up eating popcorn (salted), and I ate some and felt a lot better. so maybe you're right. By the way, I'm normal weight and on this for solidarity with my husband, who's overweight and diabetic. He actually feels great, and was able to pass on the pizza at a luncheon at work because he still felt full from breakfast. I wish I could say the same. I feel as if I need to feel well enough to be functional in my daily life, not headachy, cranky, and having poor sleep.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It's called Keto Flu. You need salt! Increase your sodium intake by drinking broth, pickle juice, salt sticks, electrolyte tablets. Eat pickles and salt your food with pink hymolayian or Celtic sea salt. On a low carb diet your body rids itself of sodium and you must replace it! The headaches , cramps etc are an electrolyte imbalance. The extra sodium will NOT make you retain water.
    There is no need to suffer through it. It's totally avoidable!
  • jmarie1025
    Options
    Consider joining the low carb group. Lots of good info and supportive people!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Google "low carb flu"...
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    jmarie1025 wrote: »
    It's called Keto Flu. You need salt! Increase your sodium intake by drinking broth, pickle juice, salt sticks, electrolyte tablets. Eat pickles and salt your food with pink hymolayian or Celtic sea salt. On a low carb diet your body rids itself of sodium and you must replace it! The headaches , cramps etc are an electrolyte imbalance. The extra sodium will NOT make you retain water.
    There is no need to suffer through it. It's totally avoidable!

This ^ It happened to me too, your body no longer retains as much water so your electrolytes are low. Carbs = water gain. I started taking a few potassium caps, a magnesium and upped my salt a bit since doing low carb. I have been doing the Always Hungry phase 1 since January, never felt better but the first few weeks were rough as I rebalanced the electrolytes. The headaches sucked, but it was worth it. Good luck!

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yep. You have an electrolyte imbalance (which is often called low carb/keto flu). A higher carb diet causes water retention and now you have lost some water weight along with sdoium. Increase your sodium to 300-5000+ mg per day. Drink boullion a few times per day, salt your food, drink a teaspoon of salt in water or use salt tablets. It sounds extreme but it does help.

Your electrolytes are low enough that you are leeching magnesium and potassium out to use instead. You may want to add a magnesium citrate (not magnesium oxide) and a potassium supplement to your diet for a while to even things out.

After adding salt, hopefully you'll start to feel better but you may need the Mg and K too.

Join us at the Low Carber Daily group for more info and support. :) Best wishes.
  • rosebette
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I took an extra potassium capsule this morning and a magnesium citrate. I also broke down and had a glass of orange juice. I know it's a no-no on low carb, but I'm really suffering. The weird thing is my husband initially resisted the diet and is doing great, but I'm having a hard time. However, he's diabetic and significantly overweight (actually obese by the BMI), but I'm normal weight. Maybe he's got lots of potassium and sodium in reserve?

By the way, what is the benefit of ketosis (Dr. Ludwig doesn't mention it in his book), and why is it worth going through all this suffering?
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You could eat carbs when you have meals without your husband...? Eat what he eats when you're together. That seems to make sense to me if you have no medical need and adverse side effects for eating that way.
  • jmarie1025
    Options
    You really just need to up your sodium. Drink a couple cups of broth with extra salt and keep doing that. You need 3,000-5,000 mgs everyday. Be careful taking potassium unless under direction from your dr. As for magnesium most people are deficient. Look for magnesium malate. The citrate you mentioned will have a laxative effect. Citrate is what people drink to prep for a colonoscopy. You can order magnesium malate on amazon. It will help regulate your bowels.
    Once you are in ketosis your body will burn fat for fuel rather than carbs. Most people can only get into ketosis by consuming 20 or less grams of carbs per day. By not having carbs in your system you will greatly rescue the inflammation in your body, control blood sugars, improve cholesterol among other things. A fantastic book that explains the science and the "why" is The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by volek and phinney
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I took an extra potassium capsule this morning and a magnesium citrate. I also broke down and had a glass of orange juice. I know it's a no-no on low carb, but I'm really suffering. The weird thing is my husband initially resisted the diet and is doing great, but I'm having a hard time. However, he's diabetic and significantly overweight (actually obese by the BMI), but I'm normal weight. Maybe he's got lots of potassium and sodium in reserve?

By the way, what is the benefit of ketosis (Dr. Ludwig doesn't mention it in his book), and why is it worth going through all this suffering?

Sodium is the one you need to increase. Add a teaspoon of salt to water or just drink a clear slaty broth. It will help. Honest! There is no need to suffer. It's an electrolyte imbalance. Those in ketosis should not feel that way unless your nutrients and minerals are out of whack. No one would stick with ketosis if that was the way you were supposed to feel.

The benefits of ketosis is usually easier weight loss (mainly for those with some insulin resistance) and better health. Many of us have steadier and increased energy. It is great for the brain once you have been doing it for a few weeks; the brain often runs better on ketones. insulin is usually lower and blood glucose levels fall. Endurance athletes notice they are less likely to "hit the wall".
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Have you also cut out caffeine? There's a withdrawal process there as well.
  • robin_spooner
    robin_spooner Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Ketosis is making your body sick on purpose in order to lose weight. In nature, it is only used if we get the flu or have food poisoning. It only goes so far before the body hunger signal kicks in and your body rebels. Yo yo dieting results.

There is a high carb diabetic diet out there that may be more align with the natural human diet. We are starchivores and have sugar receptors on out tongue, not protein receptors like true carnivores so ( dogs, cats, lions, etc.). Also, every cell in the human body runs on glucose so your carb reduction is causing imbalances which are showing up as headaches. I can't remember the name of the book but you could google the topic and the book and/or the doctor's name should come up.

• rosebette
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Sodium is the one you need to increase. Add a teaspoon of salt to water or just drink a clear slaty broth. It will help. Honest! There is no need to suffer. It's an electrolyte imbalance. Those in ketosis should not feel that way unless your nutrients and minerals are out of whack. No one would stick with ketosis if that was the way you were supposed to feel.

The benefits of ketosis is usually easier weight loss (mainly for those with some insulin resistance) and better health. Many of us have steadier and increased energy. It is great for the brain once you have been doing it for a few weeks; the brain often runs better on ketones. insulin is usually lower and blood glucose levels fall. Endurance athletes notice they are less likely to "hit the wall".

I guess that's why my husband who is diabetic and insulin resistant is faring better than I am. I feel as if I'm in a brain fog. I haven't lost any weight yet, either, but I'm also tracking, and I'm still eating the same number of calories, just distributed differently.

• nvmomketo
    edited April 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I guess that's why my husband who is diabetic and insulin resistant is faring better than I am. I feel as if I'm in a brain fog. I haven't lost any weight yet, either, but I'm also tracking, and I'm still eating the same number of calories, just distributed differently.

The LCHF diet may be suited better to him for weight loss. It would have nothing to do with the brain fog though. That is caused by low sodium. Have you increased your sodium / salt?

Ketosis is making your body sick on purpose in order to lose weight. In nature, it is only used if we get the flu or have food poisoning. It only goes so far before the body hunger signal kicks in and your body rebels. Yo yo dieting results.

There is a high carb diabetic diet out there that may be more align with the natural human diet. We are starchivores and have sugar receptors on out tongue, not protein receptors like true carnivores so ( dogs, cats, lions, etc.). Also, every cell in the human body runs on glucose so your carb reduction is causing imbalances which are showing up as headaches. I can't remember the name of the book but you could google the topic and the book and/or the doctor's name should come up.

:( Ketosis is not a state of illness. You use ketones every night while you sleep unless you are getting up every couple of hours to eat. I'm afraid you are misinformed on the topic of ketosis.

Starchivores? For diabetics? I can't see anything healthy about that.... And like us, dogs are not true carnivores like cats are.
  • saschamy
    saschamy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If it is indeed Carb Flu, I like Low-Sodium V8 also. It's got the sodium, and potassium. I usually supplement with a magnesium liquid cap also.