Signed up for my first "race"

Options
2»

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    "Also, 4.7 miles three times a week makes 5 K seem short ;-) "

This made me smile. Its this kind of thinking that turns people into endurance athletes. :)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    "Also, 4.7 miles three times a week makes 5 K seem short ;-) "

This made me smile. Its this kind of thinking that turns people into endurance athletes. :)

But it causes me worry should I decide to move up to a 10K or more. Do I really need to go over the distance several times a week to do a credible 10 K or Half marathon?
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    First, full disclosure: I am not a running coach. I've trained under a running coach for three years and worked as a pacer for runners training for the HM distance, so my comments are based on that experience.

So to answer your question: No, not required. (It really depends on what you mean by "credible" :smile: ) You could be successful doing several "shorter" runs and then one longer run each week. The weekly long run would be done at an easy pace to allow you to complete the distance. The distances increase over the course of a 10-12 week training program, to the point where you might do your longest run of 11 or 12 miles two weeks if you were targeting a Half Marathon distance race.

The idea is that the increase in running frequency helps your body adapt and get more efficient at the work of running, the increase in duration helps you build strength to endure the longer time on your feet and the Intensity work (speed work) helps your body adapt to the strain of operating under increased stress(higher heart rate, ability to increase oxygen utilization, etc).

So, for example, a half marathon training plan might look like this in week 1:

Frequency: 5 days on: Mon, Tues, Thur, Fri, Sat and 2 days rest (Sun and Wed)
    Duration : 4m, 4m, varies , 4m . 6m
    Intensity easy, easy , speed, easy, easy
    (the speed work could be done on a track or road. different types of speed work)

The distances would build slowly, mostly on the longer Saturday runs.
    The speed work (1 x/week) would help your body adapt to performing while uncomfortable (heart rate, oxygen,etc)

If you wanted to get a bit more information on speed work, you might look up these three types of speed work to learn a bit more:
    1 Tempo runs (an elevated effort for a fixed duration usually inside of a longer run)
    2 Fartlek runs (elevated effort for a random periods of time, ie, run fast to the next stop sign)
    3. Intervals. (4 x 400 yds at 5k race pace - 10 sec, etc)

Finally, speed work needs to only happen once/week (no more than 20% of the total training volume)

Sorry, sort of long. Hope it helps.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Sticking with the 4.7, 4.7 & 6.5+ (T,Th, Sat, weights on other days, off Sundays)) for now, and running 5 Ks. Looking to increase distance pretty much as the mood strikes. Might strike after the Ridgewood NJ Memorial Day 5K.