Stop counting green veggies!!?

Options
124»

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I see what you're saying, and truthfully, I believe once everyone get's a handle on portion sizes and control of their weaknesses, I think the need to log won't be as important. But you could also look at it like this: I brush my teeth three times a day, make my bed once a day, wash dishes twice a day, and have been doing most of those things for over 40 years..........why not log my calories and nutrients once or twice a day? Even if you fit it into your last 15 mins of the evening, it's done, and that time is practically nothing.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Essentially, do what works until it doesn't. Then reasses.

I'm a big proponent of that school of thought.

Interesting that you can binge on broccoli. :)

(Well I learn new things everyday on the Interweb)

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Essentially, do what works until it doesn't. Then reasses.

I'm a big proponent of that school of thought.

Interesting that you can binge on broccoli. :)

(Well I learn new things everyday on the Interweb)

I eat so much broccoli at once. My boyfriends mom made some for the table at christmas dinner and I was just looking at it longingly because if I was home I would have eaten the whole bowl myself. And it was going to feed about 9 people lol. Same with salad greens...I eat the whole "box" or bag if I buy it packaged.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's silly to compare low cal vegetables with cookies.

Cookies need to be counted because they are very easy to overeat, and they don't come in ones. Low cal veggies like zucchini take a big awareness and effort to overeat. My goodness it takes almost 600 grams (3 medium) of zucchini to get 100 Calories!

Another advantage of not counting and allowing yourself to overeat vegetables is you will likely get full faster and eat less of high cal foods.

ps. well, if you are worried, just eat 100 Cal less of the other foods to make room and pig out on green veggies, no? In my home I just keep 3, 4 plates full of cucumber, jicama, celery on the kitchen counter always. :)

Why did you ask of you'd already made up your mind to do it no matter what anyone else suggested? Was it just so you could get a chance to call people silly?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's silly to compare low cal vegetables with cookies.

Cookies need to be counted because they are very easy to overeat, and they don't come in ones. Low cal veggies like zucchini take a big awareness and effort to overeat. My goodness it takes almost 600 grams (3 medium) of zucchini to get 100 Calories!

Another advantage of not counting and allowing yourself to overeat vegetables is you will likely get full faster and eat less of high cal foods.

ps. well, if you are worried, just eat 100 Cal less of the other foods to make room and pig out on green veggies, no? In my home I just keep 3, 4 plates full of cucumber, jicama, celery on the kitchen counter always. :)

Why did you ask of you'd already made up your mind to do it no matter what anyone else suggested? Was it just so you could get a chance to call people silly?

Especially that not all people are alike or have the same habits. It's silly to generalize. I find it extremely hard to have just one zucchini, but I can happily have 1 cookie (or even half of a cookie) and leave the other half for next day because I simply don't feel like having the full cookie.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I wish I didn't have to log green (or other) vegetables and fruit... I would basically have nothing to log except pasta and beer. B)
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I eat so much broccoli at once. My boyfriends mom made some for the table at christmas dinner and I was just looking at it longingly because if I was home I would have eaten the whole bowl myself. And it was going to feed about 9 people lol. Same with salad greens...I eat the whole "box" or bag if I buy it packaged.

I can relate so well!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    But then how will you track your nutrients properly? :/

That was my first thought too. I especially look at fibre, then there's also vitamins C and A etc

OP I weigh and log everything I eat, because I want accurate and complete data.

Re the nutrients (I think you mean carbs, protein, etc.?), I was raised to just eyeball the portions of meats, rice, vegetables proportionally. Honestly I only became aware of the macro %'s that many people pick for themselves after coming to this site. :)

Christine,
    I can't remotely try to log *everything* That would turn my life upside down. Like yesterday a bunch of the family members spontaneously showed up at my home and stayed for dinner. I can't imagine getting out the scale and the note pad. I also like going to random restaurants to eat quite often. I prefer to try than to turn down treats that coworkers and friends offer out of the blue. I don't like to lose this spontaneity!!

Logging privately on your own time does mean you can guesstimate unknown calorie counts better as your experience increases. Also if you go to restaurants, some of them will have nutrition info published on the menu or website. I still think you should simplify as much as you want, and if it works, it works. If you start to stall for weeks at a time (like six to eight weeks), you'll have some very good ideas as to what to tighten up

Do you use the mobile app at all, or just the website?

Don't laugh but I only use an Excel sheet to track my breakfast and lunch and paper & pen for dinner, and only do it on weekdays. I guess all the work on my weekdays outweighs the sloppiness of the other time as the weight is still dropping.

Yes you are right. I kinda mentally log, guesstimate after a random, unplanned meal. I suppose that's how one trains his observation on portions for the long term. This is why I am amazed by how people log every single thing and plan to do it forever!?

Well, a great many of us do actually use the website and mobile apps you're on :laugh: There's a lot of automation like copying entire meals, and in some cases with the apps you can copy entire days and just adjust quantities, if need be. Typing in a portion of the name of an item on the app and the list automatically shrinks to only items containing that text, that sort of thing. The process doesn't have to be very time consuming, so you can get more detail in. Only thing is I'm not 100% sure the Excel/ pen and paper process you described takes that much longer, it's just my guess at this point!

And of course, you said the most important thing that many people have reiterated: the weight is still dropping! That's all that matters is that what you're doing works for you