Anyone else here hate counting every single calorie?

Options

Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I maintained my 50+ pound loss for over two years without counting and things were going well. However, the further away I got from the weight loss phase the easier it was to lose focus. I've learned my lesson and have started tracking again, and will do so for the rest of my life, which will probably be 40+ years.

It kind of sucks, but being overweight and a T2 sucks way more (when I was at my highest weight I was flirting with prediabetes). Most people fail at keeping the weight off long term, I will be one of the few who do succeed at this. Tracking/counting goes along way towards making that happen (for me).

I have no doubt you will succeed. You've done it before and you could do it again! If I may ask though, what factors caused you to lose focus in the first place?

Boredom, loss of motivation, not working towards new goals, justifying lazy choices and definitely a bit of arrogance as well.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    ETA: I have my fitbit synced with MFP, and I get a thrill watching my calories increase throughout the day. The whole experience (logging my food and earning calories) makes me happy :bigsmile:

Totally this!!! Why not enjoy the process - a positive mindset makes all the difference.

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think lots of people hate counting, but it's the only guaranteed tried and true means to success. I'm not really a hater, as I find it simple, especially since I tend to eat the same few things.

Edited to add a qualifier to a statement for clarity. Counting is not the only means, but it is the only means that is guaranteed to work for everyone provided they are accurately counting and adjusting within a feedback loop.
  • ralexhou82
    ralexhou82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am actually enjoying it. I love the data. It's also a bit of a puzzle, trying to figure out how I am going to fit what I want to eat into how many calories I have remaining. I like it and it's working for me.
  • luciroo
    luciroo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how you count your macros without logging the calories on here to get the macros?
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't like doing it, but I'm grateful to have this app which makes it so much easier. I would also like to be able skip balancing my bank account, but that's a recipe for disaster as well. Some things are unavoidable if you want to meet your goals.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    You just need to adult up and log them calories. Or else... It's like brushing your teeth. Who actually enjoys doing it? And yet we all do it.

Speak for yourself. I love brushing my teeth as it makes me not have dog poo breath, and it doesn't seem like OP needs to count calories at this point.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    valente347 wrote: »
    I don't like doing it, but I'm grateful to have this app which makes it so much easier. I would also like to be able skip balancing my bank account, but that's a recipe for disaster as well. Some things are unavoidable if you want to meet your goals.

Exactly how I feel :smile:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    cavia wrote: »
    I have poor satiety cues. I don't overeat this way. It's just a part of my life now.

I was that way too for 40 years but by trying different macros I found one that restored my satiety cues automatically freeing me from my eating disorder.

We all have to count something at some point in time to address if we have an eating disorder that leads to creating health issues after our auto pilots fail to keep us flying level.

The main thing in my case was to find the macro (ratio of carbs, protein and fats) that resolved my eating disorder that that had developed over time. What works for one should not be slammed by another nor should one over social media say what is right for another person to do. Sure one can share links to research and the like. Just because I do not smoke I do not have a right to abuse the rights of another who wishes to smoke.

At some level we all know what is right and wrong eating wise for our personal health. We get to live or die with our choices and in the end there is usually compromise. Finding the tool, info, etc is one thing that MFP does well.

MFP is an awesome set of tools and resources and it will continue to evolve as better knowledge about how to eat for the best health streams out to the masses that are interested in the subject. The number of members is rapidly growing it seems and the information is moving from being mainly dieting myths to being scientific based form real research. MFP is one source that I expect will continue to be leaders in the field of determining which way of eating works best for our many and varied health concerns. The info being gather by smart phones today is going to be a valuable game changer health wise.
  • alexreyn13
    alexreyn13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm only one month in and I can't even imagine NOT tracking calories anymore. It's not fun nor is it annoying, just apart of my life now =). Routine.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't see it as a pain. It's not like when calorie counting first got big, where you had to look everything up in a book. I literally just scan things, or type in a few words and it pops up. At this point, I can eyeball things if I'm eating out, but that's because of counting calories consistently that I know what a proper portion now looks like.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you are tracking to hit all three macros, you are counting calories.

For me, calorie counting (and just macro tracking, not following any arbitrary food rules) helped me stop binging and healed my relationship with food. I learnt to trust the numbers, and then myself. I enjoyed the calculations, until I suddenly got bored with them.

I agree that nutritional quality is equally important as calories, but that doesn't make calories less important. They work together: It's easier to stay within calorie goal when eating more nutrient dense foods. Accuracy is important, but consistency over time can even out some inacurracy. I don't track anymore, but I have landed on a fairly structured meal plan of mostly nutrient dense foods, and I weigh certain items. I also weigh myself every day. My weight is stable within a range of 3 kilos.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    What are "macros?"
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    What are "macros?"

macronutrients = fat, protein, and carbohydrates.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't mind weighing and tracking easy stuff like an apple or banana or piece of bread. However I cook almost all meals for a large family from scratch. That's what gets me is the homemade recipes and weighing all ingredients before cooking vs after cooking and trying to get the weighed portion sizes accurate.
  • mdrichardsons
    mdrichardsons Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The way I see it is people have problems. Some have issues with drug and alcohol, some have issues with shopping, gambling, sex, whatever mine happens to be over eating. So counting calories is what I have to do to keep my issue in check. Other people don't like going to aa meetings or staying on a budget but they do it so they can have their life back. So I changed my mindset a few months in and decided that this is a small price to pay for the life that I enjoy now. And it really is a small price I spend less time logging than I spent on fb or Pinterest when I sit and just waste time. I think it's about changing your perspective. Also I agree counting macros would take the same amount of time as counting calories.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting doesn't work for everyone. Calorie counting can make some people obsessive. It can make some people binge. That's what it does for me sometimes. Counting and obsessing over every little morsel you put in your mouth, denying yourself something you don't know the calories of, but then binging on it later because you can't stop thinking about it, tracking every calorie you burn so you can eat the exercise calories, or exercise off something bad you're eaten, etc.

Some people on here at like calorie counting is the end all, be all to obesity, but it's not. It's great, but it's not the solution for everyone.

Good point (the bolded part)!

I wonder how the 100% counters deal with eating at mom and pop restaurants. Don't go there at all?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I don't mind doing it. Technology makes it pretty easy. However, I wish I didn't have to do it. Unfortunately, I have no "off switch" when it comes to food. If you present me with a large quantity of a food that I love, I will plow through it. I have no satiety cues. So I have resigned myself to the fact that I'll be doing this forever. And I'm OK with that.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »
    I don't mind weighing and tracking easy stuff like an apple or banana or piece of bread. However I cook almost all meals for a large family from scratch. That's what gets me is the homemade recipes and weighing all ingredients before cooking vs after cooking and trying to get the weighed portion sizes accurate.

I love that crap. Is your food scale in the kitchen? Do you use the food scale tare function often, and also MFP's recipe feature (which I suppose can be a pain in the rear sometimes). Do you log the total servings as the finished weight of the cooked meal (example 3256g), so you can then log each serving you take as the number of grams you dished (like 256g) and MFP does all the nutrient/calorie calculations for you.

It's the guesses that annoy me sometimes. Like if a whole day is guesstimated, what's the point? On the other hand, If I'm cooking The entire meal and can be certain what the calorie count is, I love that
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    The way I see it is people have problems. Some have issues with drug and alcohol, some have issues with shopping, gambling, sex, whatever mine happens to be over eating. So counting calories is what I have to do to keep my issue in check. Other people don't like going to aa meetings or staying on a budget but they do it so they can have their life back. So I changed my mindset a few months in and decided that this is a small price to pay for the life that I enjoy now. And it really is a small price I spend less time logging than I spent on fb or Pinterest when I sit and just waste time. I think it's about changing your perspective. Also I agree counting macros would take the same amount of time as counting calories.

Well said. I definitely spend less time logging than I do on social media.