Anyone else here hate counting every single calorie?

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    I hate counting calories, but I know myself well enough that I will have to keep counting unless I want to weigh 300+ pounds again.

If counting macros works for you, awesome. Keep it up.

That part. If I am home, I am going to weigh everything I eat except veggies.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    edited April 2016
    Francl27 wrote: »
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    There is a middle ground between just mindlessly eating everything and literally counting every calorie.

I think we all have to find where in the middle suits ourselves individually best.

I do not count 'every single calorie' - I freely confess I do lazy logging - guestimate when eating out, log every mandarine as a medium mandarine, every cappacino as the same, every piece of toast as the same etc.

This level works for me and I lost and then 2 years maintained doing this.

If others can acheive their goals by strict tight logging or by not counting at all - good for them.

It is the results that count, not the process.

This is very much the same for me. I don't bother counting salad, because if I'm gaining weight is sure as hell isn't the lettuce, cucumber or spring onions with my lunch causing the problem.

No but it could be because of the piece of chocolate that you thought you could afford but actually takes you over maintenance because you didn't log the lettuce, cucumber, and onions that you had at lunch.

I mean it's not a single thing that makes people put on weight, it's just eating more than they should... but you know that.

I do count every calorie... because I want to make sure that I can afford that piece of chocolate. And this way, I don't have to feel bad about eating it... in the end it seems healthier than people who lost weight avoiding 'junk' and end up feeling guilty every time they eat a cookie.

I understand FatMoo and Paper's points. I second them.

@Francl27, I don't think anyone get fat from a piece of chocolate. It's usually from 5, 10 pieces and on top of a max out allowance and on a consistent basis. :)

If cucumber had to be counted, the situation would already be the straw that breaks the camel's back. It's extreme. But I guess extreme measure is needed for extreme issue for some people.

I'm still finding my middle ground like Paper points out. I don't think it'll be extreme.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    There is a middle ground between just mindlessly eating everything and literally counting every calorie.

I think we all have to find where in the middle suits ourselves individually best.

I do not count 'every single calorie' - I freely confess I do lazy logging - guestimate when eating out, log every mandarine as a medium mandarine, every cappacino as the same, every piece of toast as the same etc.

If others can acheive their goals by strict tight logging or by not counting at all - good for them.

This is very much the same for me. I don't bother counting salad, because if I'm gaining weight is sure as hell isn't the lettuce, cucumber or spring onions with my lunch causing the problem.

No but it could be because of the piece of chocolate that you thought you could afford but actually takes you over maintenance because you didn't log the lettuce, cucumber, and onions that you had at lunch.

I mean it's not a single thing that makes people put on weight, it's just eating more than they should... but you know that.

I do count every calorie... because I want to make sure that I can afford that piece of chocolate. And this way, I don't have to feel bad about eating it... in the end it seems healthier than people who lost weight avoiding 'junk' and end up feeling guilty every time they eat a cookie.

I understand FatMoo and Paper's points. I second them.

@Francl27, I don't think anyone get fat from a piece of chocolate. It's usually from 5, 10 pieces and on top of a max out allowance and on a consistent basis. :)

If cucumber had to be counted, the situation would already be the straw that breaks the camel's back. It's extreme. But I guess extreme measure is needed for extreme issue.

I'm still finding my middle ground like Paper points out. I don't think it'll be extreme.

Wrong. 1 piece of chocolate every day over your calories = 6 pounds gain in a year. Or 130g of broccoli. Or 110g of onions... you catch my drift.

I wouldn't actually worry about logging the cucumber, but onions are 40 calories in 100g, which is as much as a small Dove chocolate... so yeah, definitely worth logging IMO.
  • easyabz
    easyabz Posts: 41 Member
    Im pretty much the same but i dont include things like my bbq sauce or other lil stuff. I also count every calorie on my cheat meals.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    easyabz wrote: »
    Im pretty much the same but i dont include things like my bbq sauce or other lil stuff. I also count every calorie on my cheat meals.

Be careful with condiments-many of them are very high calories, when you factor in serving size. The sweet n sour sauce for my lunch today came in at 75 calories just for the sauce!
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Yeah I definitely do not count every calorie. I have no idea how people weigh their food as well. It just seems too obsessive for me. I estimate and have still lost weight. I'm more for the lifestyle change not a strict diet that makes me feel like my life revolves around it. I am not very overweight so I guess I don't really feel the need to. It works for some though so not bashing anyone who does.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Yeah I definitely do not count every calorie. I have no idea how people weigh their food as well. It just seems too obsessive for me. I estimate and have still lost weight. I'm more for the lifestyle change not a strict diet that makes me feel like my life revolves around it. I am not very overweight so I guess I don't really feel the need to. It works for some though so not bashing anyone who does.

You use a food scale, takes about 2 seconds? What don't you understand about this (sincerely asking).
  • endlessfall16

I weigh 90% of my foods at this point but I've only been in "this game" for 2 months. I see it necessary because I haven't understood the portions well enough. I can't see myself continue weighing foods everyday for long term. Seems too obsessive for me, too. Maybe down the line if I gain 5 lbs I'll do that for a few weeks if my portion perception is out of whack. That's still a lot of if's.

We're all different. We're not obsessed about weighing foods but maybe about other areas :)

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2016

Frankly I find it easier than using measuring cups and spoons. No extra dishes. I just weight stuff into the plate I'm eating from and tare between foods as I add them.

It's only obsessive if you let it be obsessive. If you treat it like a data point, it's no more obsessive than measuring or even guessing at calories and logging them. Just like stepping on a scale is no more obsessive than using a measuring tape or "how your clothes fit", unless you stress about every single fluctuation or a tighter waist band due to bloating.

For those of us who have done it enough, it becomes a habit. Even when I'm not logging for whatever reason, I often find myself weighing out my usual portions of certain foods just because.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

You don't have much to lose, so your eating habits are probably healthier in the first place than some of us... so I can see how it wouldn't be a big deal for you not to log/weigh.

To be honest, I understand where you come from and I'm sure that most people think that it's obsessive too. .. heck I am embarrassed about it and avoid doing it in front of people. My eating habits and hunger are messed up though so it's that or being fat.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    edited April 2016
    I counted calories initially which I think is great for educational purposes. I just count macros now and focus on food quality. Better adherence, lost 33 pounds so far (220-187) and much more manageable. Anyone else feel the same?

At some point, eating right just became intuitive. I have not logged in food intake or exercise in years.
    I just know.
    Having said that, I actually enjoyed being on MFP and learning about food, calories and macros. It was empowering to find that zone where I felt in control of my weight loss. I lost just a tad over 100 pounds over 2 years, and this result has been maintained nearly 4 years.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    I'm actually super addicted to counting my calories.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member

BAM. This. Right. Here.

People don't count everything and then they wanna cry when they're not budging. Like... \o/ What.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    I'm a counter because it keeps me aware of what I am doing. I can easily be a mindless eater, grossly underestimating how much I have eaten, and totally (and previously blissfully) unaware of proper portion size. I may never be able to guesstimate how much one serving is of something - I lack the ability to guess anyones age or weight or distances either, so I prefer to have a standard on which I can rely. And logging - the only other time I was successful in reducing weight was keeping a food diary, which highlighted to me my pattern of overeating. So for me, its counting and logging - I find it second nature now, and it takes little to no time for me. Its kind of like a game for me - how much delicious, good quality, filling food can I pack into my daily allowance?!! And I never have to feel deprived or restricted, because I know exactly where in my daily allottment I have room to make adjustments.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Well, one way to not feel guilty is to not feel guilty. For example, the previous poster could eat the cookie and simply not worry because she didn't log ~50 calories of lettuce and kale

Yes and this is exactly how I got fat... not feeling guilty for eating a cookie that may or may not have fit in my day... and the only way I would know for sure that it fits in my day is if I log everything.

I had a small deficit last week (800ish). Quite sure that I ate more than that in veggies/condiments... so if I hadn't logged them, I would have wiped off my deficit.

Knowledge is power. And my willpower sucks. If it wasn't the case, I could probably get away with not logging properly, but it's definitely not the case.

I understand the choice you've made. I'm just putting it out there that there are other choices. Personally, I got fat eating entire pizzas, ordering out wings, burgers, etc, fast foods, large/normal restaurant portions, etc. A couple servings of low cal vegetables simply would never unravel my diet. And even if it did, yay vegetables!

Just like one may not log all low calorie items, they may not log the effects of a particularly active day, additional walks and errands, that sort of thing. It's possible to balance these out and still see results. And if the results start to truly stall, you know where to look
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    I don't mind at all because I have first hand proof what happens when I don't.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member

BAM. This. Right. Here.

People don't count everything and then they wanna cry when they're not budging. Like... \o/ What.

Sure - if people are upset that they are not losing/maintaining when they dont log accurately, tightening their logging could be the answer.

But that doesnt mean everyone who doesnt count everything is not successfully budging (or maintaining if that is their aim)

The lazy logging that I do does works for me - sure, my count is not accurate and I may be eating more or less than I think I am , but the reality is that what I am eating (whether it really is the net 1710 daily average that I think it is or not) is working - for 2 years I have maintained at my goal weight.

No need to tighten up logging or count every slice of cucumber - what I am doing is working fine.

The criteria for whether what you are doing is working is not how accurate your diary is - it is whether you weight goals are being met - ie as I said ,the results, not the process, is the important thing.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE logging, and measuring, and weighing, and being precise, and seeing results.
    I like the data and the commitment. I like what it teaches me about food and myself.
    I dont just log- I learn.
    After all, Im the one who benefits from the "work".
  • blewbell
    blewbell Posts: 30 Member
    I don't count calories. This is a lifestyle change for me and I'm not doing anything I can't maintain in the long run. I did the first couple of months so I have an idea of what I'm doing. I didn't lose anything the first month so I got frustrated and quit once I started losing. But I can't quit the lifestyle or this journey. It has to go on. I know when I've overeaten though, so that helps. It also helps that I don't eat any processed, junk, or foods containing gluten regularly. I do get curious when I've cheated/rewarded myself on something and strangely, I count my calories then - just to see how much damage I've done.
  • endlessfall16

BAM. This. Right. Here.

Sure - if people are upset that they are not losing/maintaining when they dont log accurately, tightening their logging could be the answer.

But that doesnt mean everyone who doesnt count everything is not successfully budging (or maintaining if that is their aim)

The lazy logging that I do does works for me - sure, my count is not accurate and I may be eating more or less than I think I am , but the reality is that what I am eating (whether it really is the net 1710 daily average that I think it is or not) is working - for 2 years I have maintained at my goal weight.

No need to tighten up logging or count every slice of cucumber - what I am doing is working fine.

The criteria for whether what you are doing is working is not how accurate your diary is - it is whether you weight goals are being met - ie as I said ,the results, not the process, is the important thing.

+1. I'm a result oriented person like you.

To me (not bashing anyone) it's a bit insane to log *everything that goes into the mouth*. That's overkill. If I did that, it would be telling my subconsciousness that my willpower, discipline, perception are completely, ridiculously off!!! Basically I can't handle something so basic!

Yesterday after dinner I spontaneously picked a few cashew kernels, 3 pitted prunes, a 1/4 of an orange to snack. Didn't bother to "calculate" their calories. The scale was kind to me this morning! :)