Anyone else here hate counting every single calorie?

Replies

• dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    I love counting calories. I feel I'm in control and see results. I can eat whatever I want and still lose weight. When I'm not counting I either eat too much or too little and binge later. I was never as successful with losing weight as I am now. And I feel kind of relief now when I know it's all about math and numbers and actually doable than in past when I believed in weird diets, starvation mode and diet pills.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I've been promising my husband all week that I'm going to try and stop logging everything I eat in here, but i just can NOT do it. It's my morning ritual, have my cup of tea whilst logging my day.
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Here on this forum, there are thousands of posts stating, "I counted calories, lost weight. Stopped counting, gained it all back. Now I'm back for support." Other forums state that as well. If you google "hate counting calories," you find that there is a huge population out there that despises counting calories. I'm making observations. In this thread alone, it's pretty mixed regarding people liking/disliking calories. I'm wanting to explore the reasons why calorie counting is difficult, why people like it, or why people hate it. If anything, I wish you could just weigh a plate of food on a super advance weighing scale that calculated the calories and macros on the plate. Imagine that sort of technology![/quote]

Thank you for patiently restating your goals with this discussion. Somehow I gravitated to just one person (you), as against a population inquiry

I'd be curious too to know what percentage of the population hates calorie counting. You theorize that it's the majority, but I find that a bit hard to believe - no real reason! Possibly just my biased view From being on a calorie counting website where a lot of posters are proficient in using the app and web tools in logging their calories

I will say, though, that losing weight and keeping it off ain't no cake walk. There are many methods out there, and all we can hope is that each individual fights tooth and nail to find a method that's a good fit for them until they achieve their goals. Even if it takes multiple tries, and even if they have to switch methods[/quote]

You're absolutely right! There's definitely no one size fits all approach to weight loss. For some, the real struggle is not in the losing weight, but in the maintenance phase. In regards to the percentage of the population hating calories, I couldn't really give you a statistic, and maybe the majority does not hate counting calories. It's most likely one of many reasons why people struggle to lose weight whether it's hating calorie counting, thinking you have to five up the food you love, or whichever reason. I started this thread to validate my observations, and as you can tell, the results are mixed. I can only tell you in regards to the American population, 2/3 of them are overweight, and 1/3 are obese. I'm sure there are plenty of factors that contribute to being overweight, not just hating calorie counting. Thanks for your response! =)
  • MynameisChester
    I've been promising my husband all week that I'm going to try and stop logging everything I eat in here, but i just can NOT do it. It's my morning ritual, have my cup of tea whilst logging my day.

It's funny how people in the beginning find it so hard to count calories, and then you see this complete 180 where people find it so hard to NOT count calories! For me it was hard to stop due to fear of losing control and gaining all the weight back. It made me quite anxious to stop to be honest. If I may ask, could you please share your personal reasons why it's hard for you to stop counting once in a while?
  • MynameisChester
    Here on this forum, there are thousands of posts stating, "I counted calories, lost weight. Stopped counting, gained it all back. Now I'm back for support." Other forums state that as well. If you google "hate counting calories," you find that there is a huge population out there that despises counting calories. I'm making observations. In this thread alone, it's pretty mixed regarding people liking/disliking calories. I'm wanting to explore the reasons why calorie counting is difficult, why people like it, or why people hate it. If anything, I wish you could just weigh a plate of food on a super advance weighing scale that calculated the calories and macros on the plate. Imagine that sort of technology![/quote]

I'm patiently waiting for that sort of technology! Although I don't mind counting calories, this would take it to a 'no excuse" level.

http://www.geglobalresearch.com/blog/calorie-counting-made-easy[/quote]

GTFO! That's actually happening?!?!
  • ladyv_39
    ladyv_39 Posts: 13 Member
    Do I like it? Not always, as it does get tedious even though I don't weigh every single thing. I took a two day break last weekend and ended up gaining two pounds. So for the time being, I have to keep at it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

It's funny how people in the beginning find it so hard to count calories, and then you see this complete 180 where people find it so hard to NOT count calories! For me it was hard to stop due to fear of losing control and gaining all the weight back. It made me quite anxious to stop to be honest. If I may ask, could you please share your personal reasons why it's hard for you to stop counting once in a while?

I guess it's because I like to know that I'm not going over or under my calories, I think I mentioned before that it's kind of like a security blanket, if the data is right there then I don't have to guess or wonder.. I also like to track my macros to see if i'm getting enough protein and especially fibre. I also have my fitbit synced to mfp and I like seeing how many calories I've earned or not everyday.
    Weighing and logging has become such an ingrained habit, kinda like brushing my teeth or whatever, it's just something I have gotten used to doing everyday. Certainly, if I didn't enjoy it then I would be more inclined to stop, but I really love seeing the data every day, week and month. Perhaps someone can look deeper into the reasons I stated, and can pinpoint an issue of why I can't stop?? Perhaps some insecurity that if i stop logging I may gain back the weight..
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Hate counting calories but hate being fat more. And I love quality and delicious food. Counting calories allows me gourmet desserts and pastries. No forbidden goods. Bon appetite
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Hate counting calories but hate being fat more. And I love quality and delicious food. Counting calories allows me gourmet desserts and pastries. No forbidden goods. Bon appetite

Exactly!

I don't know why, this subject actually irks me. Don't like counting calories? Don't. Nobody's forcing you. Then if you realize that you're not losing without it, maybe you'll stop using your inconvenience as an excuse and do it.

As I said before... I hate brushing my teeth. But I do it for my health. Same thing. Seriously, someone who can't lose weight saying they don't want to count calories 'because they hate it' reminds me of a spoiled child who won't put away his toys because it takes away from his play time. We're adults. Sometimes we have to do things we don't like in order to stay healthy/not be broke/keep electricity in the house (do you like paying bills? Do you do it?).

Anyway, rant off.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    "I counted calories initially which I think is great for educational purposes. I just count macros now and focus on food quality. Better adherence, lost 33 pounds so far (220-187) and much more manageable. Anyone else feel the same? "

@Francl27
    This is what the OP posted several days ago, and as you can see she didn't say that she hated counting calories or that she was not losing any weight, so I don't understand why the subject irks you or why you complain about this threat. The original posting was only a question and we all answered according to our feelings and likes, nobody was behaving like a spoiled child.

By the way, I love brushing my teeth and enjoying a fresh breath and shinning pearl whites. :D
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    I usually sit down and log my breakfast and lunch (since I prep) when I get to work, it's turned into a bit of a routine so I can understand this. :smiley:
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    "I counted calories initially which I think is great for educational purposes. I just count macros now and focus on food quality. Better adherence, lost 33 pounds so far (220-187) and much more manageable. Anyone else feel the same? "

@Francl27
    This is what the OP posted several days ago, and as you can see she didn't say that she hated counting calories or that she was not losing any weight, so I don't understand why the subject irks you or why you complain about this threat. The original posting was only a question and we all answered according to our feelings and likes, nobody was behaving like a spoiled child.

By the way, I love brushing my teeth and enjoying a fresh breath and shinning pearl whites. :D

Francl was pulling from the subject line, which is "Anyone else here hate counting every single calorie?" which leads you to believe something very different from the actual topic, and where most of us ended up wandering.
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    I don't know if this had been said, but have you tried the rule of the fist? Use your hand to measure your foods.

For men:

2 fists of protein for each meal

2 fists of veggies for each meal

2 cupped hands of carbs for each meal

2 thumbs of fats for each meal

For women:

1 fist of protein for each meal

1 fists of veggies for each meal

1 cupped hand of carbs for each meal

1 thumb of fats for each meal

It's not the same as weighing or counting calories, but it a good rule of "thumb" for eating :)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited April 2016
    I don't know if this had been said, but have you tried the rule of the fist? Use your hand to measure your foods.

For men:

For women:

It's not the same as weighing or counting calories, but it a good rule of "thumb" for eating :)

Ok cool. Ill have my husband who can easily palm a basketball do all the measuring and meal prep... no way jose.
    No thanks! This is a recipe for vast inconsistency.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    I don't mind doing it. Technology makes it pretty easy. However, I wish I didn't have to do it. Unfortunately, I have no "off switch" when it comes to food. If you present me with a large quantity of a food that I love, I will plow through it. I have no satiety cues. So I have resigned myself to the fact that I'll be doing this forever. And I'm OK with that.

Some people just love/prefer to do "manual" , tangible things (ex. weighing every morsel) and other people prefer working more with their mind (ex. gauging, relying on their discipline). Everything is work in the end.

• overw8gosk8
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

For men:

For women:

Ok cool. Ill have my husband who can easily palm a basketball do all the measuring and meal prep... no way jose.

Haha! The actual size of your fist/hand, not what you think you can try to fit in it...
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    It doesn't bother me most of the time - except for going out for a salad. That's just a tough one to figure.
  • MommyMeggo

For men:

For women:

Haha! The actual size of your fist/hand, not what you think you can try to fit in it...

LOL! I know. :)
    How would you "thumb" olive oil I wonder.
  • overw8gosk8
    edited April 2016

For men:

For women:

Common sense prevails in any given situation. But, 1 oz is about the size of your thumb for solid fats, ie cheese, nuts, etc. For liquid fats one 1 oz of liquid fats would be slightly over 2 tbsp.
  • MommyMeggo

For men:

For women:

Common sense prevails in any given situation. But, 1 oz is about the size of your thumb for solid fats, ie cheese, nuts, etc. For liquid fats one 1 oz of liquid fats would be slightly over 2 tbsp.

Oh Im supposed to use common sense? - Then Id probably just measure my oil.

I do like how you answer with units of measurement when I asked how one would measure a "thumb" of oil that you listed as an alternative to measuring.
    Strange.
  • maeggggan
    maeggggan Posts: 71 Member
    i use iifym and dont track calories. for me its easier to "count" my macros that are set. its basically the same as counting calories as you do count still. i think its easier to do macros because it shows you the nutrients you are getting from each food, not just calories.