125 activities minutes but low calorie burn

So I took three long walks and had 125 minutes of activities but still haven't reached my goal of 2100 calories burned. It's not really possible to fit in more activity. It feels like Fitbit gives me low calorie burn

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    2100 burned from exercise? Burning 2100 just from activities would be ... well, maybe for a high-performance athlete it would be possible. Or for your total daily expenditure? I have a Garmin, so I don't know how Fitbit does it, but Garmin adds everything into your TDEE, and then shows on your chart what counted as 'active' calories.

How long of walks? How fast? What activities? The only way to get a truly accurate calorie count is to wear a heart monitor during activities. The best you can do is estimate.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    @lammelting I know the feeling. From the best I can learn while moving helps us get stronger it is not useful as a weight loss tool. If I find it I will post what one doctor was saying about exercise often leads to weight gains. If we push hard we may increase our cortisol levels. bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson.htm

Another thing exercise and be used as an excuse to eat more by some. self.com/fitness/2011/10/exercise-and-appetite/

Keep in mind the calories burned numbers out there validity is not a one size fits all so at best they are will guess. If one person has lowered their metabolic rate say by 15% by eating at a deficit and another has raised their's by 15% eating at a surplus then see how the same walking may burn a very different amount of calories?

You are on the right track by getting started on MFP. Most of us can get a learner's driving permit at age 16 but it is not until we get 25 (in the USA) that the insurance carriers lower our premium rates to that of a skilled driver. :)

In short most of us are years away from getting all of the details figured out for our own bodies through trial and error. There is NO tools out that we can afford that will tell us our CICO with individual accuracy.

If you were not aware the more you cut the calories in the slower the rate of weight loss Google that and see if you may be under eating for the results you want.

Keep in mind the body does not want to die and will self adjust to run at a lower RPM when it senses less fuel to it will not die as quick. If it gets too much fuel it will increase the RPM's to burn off the extra. This is why CICO is helpful in a lab but does not work when it comes to weight management because the brain and hormones are at work changing our burn rates.

It varies from person to person but the from the chart on page 14 you will see for a person getting up and going to work is going to need on average 2000-2600 calories daily from some source to just maintain. You will read about limiting sugars. On page 55+ you will read about making healthy choices.
    health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/dietaryguidelines2010.pdf

• Iammelting
    Iammelting Posts: 64 Member
    Well according to my Fitbit excersise tracker I burned 650 on the excersise I did. It's almost midnight and I'm still under my goal of 2150 . I have 19838 steps
  • Iammelting
    I did not eat my exercise calorie back. I lost almost 60 pounds about 5 years ago using the body bug. Then sadly gained it back over the last couple years so starting over. Just feels like my Fitbit is giving me a low daily burn but maybe it's right. Also I liked seeing my daily deficit on bodybug but unless I'm missing it does mfp or Fitbit lost it anywhere ?
  • Iammelting
    Thank you for the very informative replys!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Why are you trying to burn 2100 cals?
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    It would be an insane achievement to burn that many extra calories by exercising. Unless you are an Olympic athlete, it would be very difficult. Instead, try something more manageable like 300-600 exercise calories per day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    You all are confused.

She's not trying to reach 2100 from exercise... just to burn 2100 for the day.

But it's why I stopped using Fitbit.. the numbers were all over the place and made no sense whatsoever. I could have 10,000 steps one day and 30 active minutes and supposedly burn more than a day of 14,000 steps and 100 active minutes.

That being said... 'long walk' doesn't mean much. How fast and how many miles are you talking? I walk 3.5 miles in one hour and I would be surprised if I burned more than 250 calories from it (there's some hills though).
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    I use the Runtastic app for both my walks and runs, and it is very accurate. I don't have a Fitbit.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,519 Member
    edited April 2016
    Iammelting wrote: »
    So I took three long walks and had 125 minutes of activities but still haven't reached my goal of 2100 calories burned. It's not really possible to fit in more activity. It feels like Fitbit gives me low calorie burn

Walking at a pretty brisk pace burns approx. 200 cal/hour. Even that might be a bit high ... 180 cal/hour might be closer, especially as you lose weight.

So 125 minutes is just over 2 hours or roughly 400 calories tops.

If you've got 2 hours for exercise, cycling at a brisk pace (but not race pace) might give you 400 cal/hour.

Stair climbing might be up there as well ... approx. 30 cal for 5 flights. If 40 flights takes you half an hour, that's 240 cal per 30 min ... 480 cal/hour.

Essentially, if you want to burn more, you've got to do more ... put in more effort.

And because calories burned is always an estimate, when we're trying to lose weight, it's a good idea to estimate a bit low. In addition, many of us limit ourselves to eating only 50-75% of our exercise calories back.

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Yes! Stair running is where it's at. It burns crazy amounts of energy and it does wonders for one's endurance.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Freestyle swimming is another great one. The estimates range from 200-400 calories per 30 minutes.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I personally think it sounds about right.

I walked over 17,000 steps a few weeks ago and i burned just about 2,400 calories for the day. And believe me, i was walking well over 125 minutes.

Unfortunately, these movements don't burn THAT many calories as they aren't intense enough.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    I did not eat my exercise calorie back. I lost almost 60 pounds about 5 years ago using the body bug. Then sadly gained it back over the last couple years so starting over. Just feels like my Fitbit is giving me a low daily burn but maybe it's right. Also I liked seeing my daily deficit on bodybug but unless I'm missing it does mfp or Fitbit lost it anywhere ?

I used to have a bodymedia fit (until those b*stards at Jawbone took over) and bought a Fitbit. The calories it give me (since it's really just a pedometer and not an actual metabolic monitor, like body bugg/body media) are much lower than I would normally see with the BodyMedia.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    norie92 wrote: »
    It would be an insane achievement to burn that many extra calories by exercising. Unless you are an Olympic athlete, it would be very difficult. Instead, try something more manageable like 300-600 exercise calories per day.
    @norie92
    That's a huge exaggeration!
    I cycled for 4 hours yesterday and burned around 2000 calories - I'm a 56 year old office worker not an Olympic athlete. Might be insane though. :smile:
    I also think the 2100 relates to her total calorie needs for the day and not exercise calories......

OP - try comparing your Fitbit calorie burns for walking to the common formula of bodyweight in pounds X distance in miles X 0.3 to get an idea of how accurate your Fitbit may be.
  • Francl27
    sijomial wrote: »
    @norie92
    I cycled for 4 hours yesterday and burned around 2000 calories - I'm a 56 year old office worker not an Olympic athlete. Might be insane though. :smile:
    I also think the 2100 relates to her total calorie needs for the day and not exercise calories......

OP - try comparing your Fitbit calorie burns for walking to the common formula of bodyweight in pounds X distance in miles X 0.3 to get an idea of how accurate your Fitbit may be.

I burn 500-550 calories in 2 hours of cycling. I'm not sure where people get those huge burns from...
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    If you're using the Charge HR or Surge, it calculates your burn based on heart rate (which isn't always accurate to begin with). so, if you were doing steady state walking, that burn makes sense. your HR probably didnt increase much at all.
    also, the more in shape you get, the less you will burn from the same activity, so you need to keep stepping it up.
    I find that I get the most bang for my buck calorie burn wise doing intervals. it raises my HR like no body's business, and has me burning for hours after.
  • Machka9
    Francl27 wrote: »
    @norie92

I burn 500-550 calories in 2 hours of cycling. I'm not sure where people get those huge burns from...

Ride faster.

I burn approx. 100 calories for every 5 kilometres cycled. If I cycle 20 km/h, that's 400 calories per hour.

Of course, that's cycling outside with wind and hills and rough roads and dodging potholes, etc. etc. etc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    @norie92

@Francl27

You must be cycling very slowly! (Or your estimate is wrong of course.)
    Hint - I'm not cycling in a recreational manner, I'm training not sight-seeing despite cycling in beautiful countryside.

Where do I get my burns from? A professional standard power meter equipped trainer, a properly calibrated HRM, Strava or Garmin depending on type and duration of the ride. All are in the same ballpark.

I'm very fit but not exceptional let alone an Olympian. An exceptional cyclist friend (a good 24hr racer) can maintain my absolute one hour to point of collapse power output (800+ calories) for at least four hours comfortably.
    He in turn compares himself to the elite pro cyclists and regards himself as useless.
  • Francl27
    Machka9 wrote: »
    @norie92

Ride faster.

I burn approx. 100 calories for every 5 kilometres cycled. If I cycle 20 km/h, that's 400 calories per hour.

Of course, that's cycling outside with wind and hills and rough roads and dodging potholes, etc. etc. etc.

I typically go at 15mph in average, lol. My legs just can't take more. But yeah, I meant spinning, so inside.
  • Iammelting
    Yes , just trying to reach 2100 for the day but having a hard time even with extra activity
  • shortcdngirl
    shortcdngirl Posts: 56 Member
    Yes , just trying to reach 2100 for the day but having a hard time even with extra activity

You can adjust your total calorie burn. I dropped mine down to 2000

As for calories burned with excersise. I find my fitbit hr charge to be on target when I compare to the treadmill. It's also helpful to figure out your stride. When you do plug it into your settings.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,945 Member

Walking at a pretty brisk pace burns approx. 200 cal/hour. Even that might be a bit high ... 180 cal/hour might be closer, especially as you lose weight.

If you've got 2 hours for exercise, cycling at a brisk pace (but not race pace) might give you 400 cal/hour.

Stair climbing might be up there as well ... approx. 30 cal for 5 flights. If 40 flights takes you half an hour, that's 240 cal per 30 min ... 480 cal/hour.

Essentially, if you want to burn more, you've got to do more ... put in more effort.

And because calories burned is always an estimate, when we're trying to lose weight, it's a good idea to estimate a bit low. In addition, many of us limit ourselves to eating only 50-75% of our exercise calories back.

It matters dramatically how big the walker is, and OP didn't specify. At my SW of 183, a one-hour walk at 3mph was worth an estimated 389 calories (per MapMyWalk, and yes, I could easily walk that far that fast then). At my CW of around 120, it's worth 205 calories.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member

You haven't answered why you are trying to reach 2100 calories of exercise per day. That is very aggressive and would be hard to achieve.

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited April 2016

OP means her activity over the whole day so the 2100 is her TDEE ( incl exercise)

I dont think she means to burn 2100 calories by exercise. Correct me if i am wrong.

95069916.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    PaytraB wrote: »

You haven't answered why you are trying to reach 2100 calories of exercise per day. That is very aggressive and would be hard to achieve.

She doesn't mean 2100 calories just on exercise calories. 2100 is her TDEE, which is her TOTAL daily burn including exercise.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

For example, fitbit has me set at 2,200. I hit that by getting around 15,000 steps or around 10kms
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member

For example, fitbit has me set at 2,200. I hit that by getting around 15,000 steps or around 10kms

Thank you! That makes a lot more sense.
  • Machka9
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It matters dramatically how big the walker is, and OP didn't specify. At my SW of 183, a one-hour walk at 3mph was worth an estimated 389 calories (per MapMyWalk, and yes, I could easily walk that far that fast then). At my CW of around 120, it's worth 205 calories.

I was roughly the same starting weight, and yet MFP only gave me just over 200 cal. Now that I've lost the weight, I'm just under 200 cal.

And yes 5 km/h is a nice casually brisk walk. That's about what I do.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

She doesn't mean 2100 calories just on exercise calories. 2100 is her TDEE, which is her TOTAL daily burn including exercise.

That doesn't seem to be what she's implying from her questions though?