Treadmill v. Elliptical v. Running outside

Options
It's that time of the year that the weather is changing and the opportunity of going outside is there. The question i have is do you foresee a huge difference in benefit to one or the other as far as calorie burn and fitness benefits?

I know the machines mimic running etc, but depending on the type of setting you use, you can burn a bunch of calories on the machines. And running outside obviously burns a bunch. Do any of you all alternate between these? Or do you hit the road or trail when the weather permits. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The answer all depends on your goals.
    "Fit" means different things to different people.

If calories burned is your target, go for whatever you want or whichever you prefer to do. Although I would be careful as ellipticals can often overestimate. The METs for ellipitical is roughly half of running.

My goal is to be more fit for running and to run faster, so most of my running takes place outside. I would do the treadmill only if I had no other option. I don't bother with the elliptical as it doesn't really mimic running.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill or go outside to walk or run. I don't pick either based on calorie burn. Rather, I make my choice based on weather, schedule, and convenience.

I never ever ever use an elliptical machine. The only other cardio machines I use are the sedentary or recumbent bikes and that's not too often.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Calories burned is based on intensity and your ability to work at a certain intensity/workload will be based on your fitness level. So, essentially, whether you run on a treadmill, or work on a cross trainer, or run outside, you should be able to achieve comparable workloads/calorie burns.

(BTW, when I refer to "cross trainer" or "elliptical", I am referring to machines that incorporate arm and leg movement, not leg-only machines).

Sometimes people will experience a lower perceived exertion when doing one activity compared to another. In that case, they will likely work harder at that activity and thus burn more calories. However, the difference will be modest.

So, as it almost always does, it boils down to personal preference.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Treadmill is easier if your goal is watching ESPN highlights or NASDAQ ticker symbols while running.

Running outside is better if you like to eat during runs (and your gym objects to that). If you are preparing for a race with varied terrain and unknown weather conditions (potholes, sticks, rain, snow, etc) run outside. I almost collided with deer running ouside (several times) and have been in races with canines present. I have yet to see a deer inside the gym.

Calorie burn will be similar assuming your pace and incline is the same inside of out.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Treadmill is easier if your goal is watching ESPN highlights or NASDAQ ticker symbols while running.

Running outside is better if you like to eat during runs (and your gym objects to that). If you are preparing for a race with varied terrain and unknown weather conditions (potholes, sticks, rain, snow, etc) run outside. I almost collided with deer running ouside (several times) and have been in races with canines present. I have yet to see a deer inside the gym.

Calorie burn will be similar assuming your pace and incline is the same inside of out.

I'm not going to see a deer if I run outside, I'm more likely to get mugged. I'm also not going to go over 20 miles out of my way to run in nature several times a week when I have a gym at my apartment. If you use a treadmill, there's nothing wrong with bringing a phone or tablet and watching whatever you want if you don't like the options available. You're not on the couch, so who cares? I'm happy for you, though, since you do get to run in those conditions regularly.

OP, there is not going to be a big difference between running outside and running on the treadmill unless one or the other just really gets you going for some reason. YOU are in charge of your effort in both cases, and that will determine what kind of workout you get. If you like running outside, go for it. If you like the treadmill, go for it. Heck, maybe even do both if you want. Get in those deer viewings so the real runners don't judge you. I think there's a quota. Go crazy!

Can't offer opinions on the elliptical as I don't use it, but I will repeat that if you like it, go for it.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »

I'm not going to see a deer if I run outside, I'm more likely to get mugged. I'm also not going to go over 20 miles out of my way to run in nature several times a week when I have a gym at my apartment. If you use a treadmill, there's nothing wrong with bringing a phone or tablet and watching whatever you want if you don't like the options available. You're not on the couch, so who cares? I'm happy for you, though, since you do get to run in those conditions regularly.

OP, there is not going to be a big difference between running outside and running on the treadmill unless one or the other just really gets you going for some reason. YOU are in charge of your effort in both cases, and that will determine what kind of workout you get. If you like running outside, go for it. If you like the treadmill, go for it. Heck, maybe even do both if you want. Get in those deer viewings so the real runners don't judge you. I think there's a quota. Go crazy!

Can't offer opinions on the elliptical as I don't use it, but I will repeat that if you like it, go for it.

Sorry if I seemed sarcastic. I do prefer running ouside so I admit my bias but I also like to watch ESPN on occasion (on a treadmill).

On a more serious note, I know some fancy treadmills have a decline option. My gym only has treadmills that offer inclines. I learned the lesson of why training with declines (only available outside in my case since I doubt my gym would approve of my placing weights under part of the treadmill to create an artificial decline) is important during my first half marathon. If you have never ran downhill before sore calf muscles will very likely follow your first attempt.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I like an elliptical for pure calorie burn while I read, but don't belong to a gym anymore. Running is better anyway for bone density because it's weight bearing exercise. I usually use a treadmill because I get asthma running in cold weather, but I can also fine tune the intensity better on the machine, and end the session without worrying about dragging myself home. I also read on the treadmill when I'm speed walking or at a less intense part of the session. Personal choice.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    ignoring wind resistance and variations in road surfaces, a treadmill and street running are identical (assuming you aren't holding the rails and assuming we are comparing identical inclines).

elliptical vs running is close enough that you can call it a wash. I believe running burns a few more calories but we are talking a fraction of a % difference.

So, do whichever you enjoy the most. I personally run better on a treadmill because it helps me control my pace. If I am at a hotel I prefer the elliptical because I'm going to do significantly more cardio while on business travel than I normally do and it is easier on my knees. Basically, I don't want to hurt myself.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »

Sorry if I seemed sarcastic. I do prefer running ouside so I admit my bias but I also like to watch ESPN on occasion (on a treadmill).

On a more serious note, I know some fancy treadmills have a decline option. My gym only has treadmills that offer inclines. I learned the lesson of why training with declines (only available outside in my case since I doubt my gym would approve of my placing weights under part of the treadmill to create an artificial decline) is important during my first half marathon. If you have never ran downhill before sore calf muscles will very likely follow your first attempt.

I keep seeing people getting kind of high and mighty about running outside vs. treadmill recently, so I think I'm just a little over sensitive, sorry, :lol: I'd love to run outside if I wouldn't immediately fall down dead from sun-related ailments.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I normally use the elliptical during all seasons. My gait changes on the treadmill and I end up with awful shin pains, so I stay away from it. I used to love running trails when I lived in the mountains, but I don't live in the friendliest of cities and don't hanker to getting assaulted or shot, so the outdoors are a no go.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Treadmill running is pretend running. On a road, there isnt a conveyor belt doing half of the work for you. A road doesnt take up half of your front room either.

Cold weather is not a great excuse. Exercise warms you up...
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love to be outside and I admittedly am one of those that find the treadmill BOR-ing!

However, I do use the cross-trainer at my gym because I have lingering knee issues from an old torn meniscus injury. Using the cross-trainer allows me to run faster, whereas moving outside on the ground would be too high impact.

Another benefit is that where I live, much of the year it is hot & humid and I don't tolerate hot weather well at all. Having an indoor alternative like the cross trainer or treadmill is one of the reasons I decided to get a gym membership.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    It's that time of the year that the weather is changing and the opportunity of going outside is there. The question i have is do you foresee a huge difference in benefit to one or the other as far as calorie burn and fitness benefits?

I know the machines mimic running etc, but depending on the type of setting you use, you can burn a bunch of calories on the machines. And running outside obviously burns a bunch. Do any of you all alternate between these? Or do you hit the road or trail when the weather permits. Thanks everyone!

Running outside, burns the most calories and gets you the most fit, however, causing the most impact on joints.
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn:
    Highest: Outside running
    Moderate: Treadmill
    Least: Elliptical

All 3 have their own benefits, but if you're looking for the highest calorie burn, head outside for a run. Running burns more calories than the elliptical, and the incline/wind variations help you burn even more. If the weather is crappy and you have bad knees (like me), then just crank up the resistance on the elliptical. All are great for different reasons.
  • Fernando618G
    Fernando618G Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I always hit the outside, fresh air & sun for 1 but i also have hills so its a constant challenge
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I just can't do treadmills. I love being outside and often go where the wind blows me. I prefer to go early before the sun comes up. My brush with nature was while dark being attacked from behind by a flying ? It was dark and never saw the critter. Was bleeding and had claw marks in my hat. I than started to wonder, "what if it was a Bat"? I survived so it was either a non rabid bat or a bird.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have the benefit of living in a mild climate so I can run outdoors pretty well any time of year. Mentally, I just can't do the treadmill. I get bored in less than 5 minutes. When I'm outside there's variable terrain, nature, people, etc. I'm not sure of the science, but I would imagine running outside would be a better calorie burn unless you're on an incline on the treadmill. The treadmill absorbs a lot of impact which would be good if you have joint issues.

ETA: that being said, I don't think it would be a huge difference unless you're running for a long time.
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I normally use the elliptical during all seasons. My gait changes on the treadmill and I end up with awful shin pains, so I stay away from it. I used to love running trails when I lived in the mountains, but I don't live in the friendliest of cities and don't hanker to getting assaulted or shot, so the outdoors are a no go.

any idea what causes the shin pains? it's not calves, its specifically my shins. it's so weird!

• CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have the benefit of living in a mild climate so I can run outdoors pretty well any time of year. Mentally, I just can't do the treadmill. I get bored in less than 5 minutes. When I'm outside there's variable terrain, nature, people, etc. I'm not sure of the science, but I would imagine running outside would be a better calorie burn unless you're on an incline on the treadmill. The treadmill absorbs a lot of impact which would be good if you have joint issues.

ETA: that being said, I don't think it would be a huge difference unless you're running for a long time.

I agree with the bolded. I always feel like a treadmill, done without an incline, is more like jumping up and down than running and propelling yourself forward. That said, jumping up and down is not the worst workout either! :smile:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside, but will use the treadmill when the weather or time of day isn't the best for an outdoor run.

I think both have their place in my training. My races are outside so I like to do outdoor running to prepare for those. I personally find it much more pleasant to run outside (assuming it isn't super-hot or cold out).

But sometimes it's nice to watch the news when I'm running and it's convenient to be able to set a pace and know that I'm consistently hitting it.