Treadmill v. Elliptical v. Running outside

Options

Replies

• Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run outside, even during this past winter I logged more miles on the road, than the tread. I do like to use the elliptical as well after my strength training exercises, and in between run days.
  • mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It's that time of the year that the weather is changing and the opportunity of going outside is there. The question i have is do you foresee a huge difference in benefit to one or the other as far as calorie burn and fitness benefits?

I know the machines mimic running etc, but depending on the type of setting you use, you can burn a bunch of calories on the machines. And running outside obviously burns a bunch. Do any of you all alternate between these? Or do you hit the road or trail when the weather permits. Thanks everyone!

Remember.... Studies have shown the calorie lost numbers on those machines are not always right. Unless you are working toward serious muscle growth, the weighing scale will give you a "clear" picture if you are losing/gaining pounds.

I usually prefer to walk/jog outside than on a treadmill. But, unlike on a treadmill where you can keep a constant speed during an entire session, you can't do the same outside.

All the best.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    The answer all depends on your goals.
    "Fit" means different things to different people.

If calories burned is your target, go for whatever you want or whichever you prefer to do. Although I would be careful as ellipticals can often overestimate. The METs for ellipitical is roughly half of running.

My goal is to be more fit for running and to run faster, so most of my running takes place outside. I would do the treadmill only if I had no other option. I don't bother with the elliptical as it doesn't really mimic running.

The bolded for everyone who thinks the elliptical is like running. It's not.
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I never use elliptical unless it's for a HIIT session which is not very often. I run outside when weather premits. I usually run on the track/treadmill inside my gym because I also weight lift so I find myself doing that option the most. I think running outside is the most challenging, and when I wear my Fitbit I burn the most running outside. I like it the most because it's more entertaining.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see a deer inside the gym.

That would be either the worst or the best gym.
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority I guess. I love to walk/hike outside with a companion to talk to, but running bores me to tears. I would rather run on the treadmill where I can binge-watch Netflix to pass the time.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't do the elliptical at all. I mostly walk outside, but when it's raining or too hot, I hit up my gym.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I like an elliptical for pure calorie burn while I read, but don't belong to a gym anymore. Running is better anyway for bone density because it's weight bearing exercise. I usually use a treadmill because I get asthma running in cold weather, but I can also fine tune the intensity better on the machine, and end the session without worrying about dragging myself home. I also read on the treadmill when I'm speed walking or at a less intense part of the session. Personal choice.

Which ellipticals are non weight-bearing? Just curious.

• don9992
    don9992 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The elliptical will be much easier on your knees than either of the other two choices.
  • Azdak
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

If calories burned is your target, go for whatever you want or whichever you prefer to do. Although I would be careful as ellipticals can often overestimate. The METs for ellipitical is roughly half of running.

My goal is to be more fit for running and to run faster, so most of my running takes place outside. I would do the treadmill only if I had no other option. I don't bother with the elliptical as it doesn't really mimic running.

There is no one "calorie burn" for either a treadmill or an elliptical. So to say "the METs..is roughly half" is absurd. Commercial cross trainers have a workload range that goes from mild to beyond what is humanly possible. Calorie burn is based on workload intensity and either activity has a wide enough range of workload intensities that one can work at whatever load is necessary to achieve a desired calorie burn.

• StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like to switch it up. I tend to walk for the most part so if the weather is good I go outside, if not I use a treadmill at the gym. I also throw in some sessions on the elliptical to change things up. My neighborhood has a great variety of hills and level areas, all with sidewalks and plenty of streetlights so it's a good, safe option. Some days I just want to plug in and watch my favorite show while I work up a sweat but I have to play around with the incline to feel like I'm getting a good workout.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

There is no one "calorie burn" for either a treadmill or an elliptical. So to say "the METs..is roughly half" is absurd. Commercial cross trainers have a workload range that goes from mild to beyond what is humanly possible. Calorie burn is based on workload intensity and either activity has a wide enough range of workload intensities that one can work at whatever load is necessary to achieve a desired calorie burn.

I understand what you are saying but "elliptical moderate effort" is listed in The 2011 Compendium of Physical Activities as 5.0. Running a 10 minute mile is 9.8. I'd consider that moderate but that would depend. A 12 minute mile is 8.3.

I believe that is where the statement would be coming from.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    joolie1234 wrote: »
    I'm in the minority I guess. I love to walk/hike outside with a companion to talk to, but running bores me to tears. I would rather run on the treadmill where I can binge-watch Netflix to pass the time.

Nope I like treadmill, I love singing at the top of my lungs with earbuds in, music makes me pump it up, and safety wise thats not the best for outside
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Treadmill running is pretend running. On a road, there isnt a conveyor belt doing half of the work for you. A road doesnt take up half of your front room either.

Cold weather is not a great excuse. Exercise warms you up...

Cold weather? Maybe not. Thundersnow and sheets of black ice (typical weather here for the next month) are both great excuses to stay the hell inside. I've broken both legs (one on ice), so it's not like I haven't *tried.* :)

I find intensity varies with different treadmills and conditions. The treadmill at my mom's place is smooth as butter with fans and lots of music options, so it's great for recovery runs. The one at work is a punishing hellbeast without any sort of cushion, permanently stuck on 1.5 incline and is guaranteed to do damage to my knees no matter how slow I go, so I only use it when I'm feeling particularly good. Running outside falls somewhere between the two extremes. Though I prefer running outside if possible, it isn't always possible! I never use the elliptical--it always felt funny to me, and it's harder to work up a real sweat.
  • Azdak
    Options

I understand what you are saying but "elliptical moderate effort" is listed in The 2011 Compendium of Physical Activities as 5.0. Running a 10 minute mile is 9.8. I'd consider that moderate but that would depend. A 12 minute mile is 8.3.

"Moderate effort" is a meaningless term. You can only compare measured workloads. And equal workloads will produce equal calorie burns. By definition, unequal calorie burns MUST be the result of unequal workloads, not different modalities.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

"Moderate effort" is a meaningless term. You can only compare measured workloads. And equal workloads will produce equal calorie burns. By definition, unequal calorie burns MUST be the result of unequal workloads, not different modalities.

I didn't write it, just referencing.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Really pretend running? Never heard of pretend running......

Treadmill running is pretend running. On a road, there isnt a conveyor belt doing half of the work for you. A road doesnt take up half of your front room either.

• ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Really pretend running? Never heard of pretend running......

Agreed. No such thing as "pretend running". Outdoor running is outdoor running. Treadmill running is treadmill running.

I have heard that putting the treadmill at a 1.0 incline simulates outdoor running terrain.

I like the treadmill in the winter and for interval/sprints. I also like that it helps me control and maintain an even pace. However, I like running outside just for fresh air. I do both.

I do the elliptical only once in a while. I find I tend to push my feet up against the pedal lip thing and then my toes hurt. But, I do feel I get a good workout ok it.

To each their own!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I didn't write it, just referencing.

@Azdak @3dogsrunning

You may find this of interest - I use a Cybex ARC trainer which has a very unusual range of movement compared to most ellipticals (goes from a horizontal ellipse to vertical ellipse) and wondered how they came by their calorie estimates....

"Since the ACSM does not have calorie tables for the Arc Trainer CYBEX developed its own Calorie tables using a statistically significant population with both males and females ranging from 18-64 years of age. Calories are calculated using the Incline, Strides per minute at the current resistance level and body weight. "

For their treadmills.....
    "Since CYBEX uses the ACSM formula on cycles, steppers, and treadmills to calculate calories, the results are as accurate as the formula. The gold standard for the measurement of energy expenditure is the actual measurement of oxygen consumed. Since that is not generally possible, the formulas were developed using data from oxygen consumption tests for each of the various machines at levels across a population of users. Where a significant factor like weight occurs it is included in the calculation on the machine. Beyond that the formula is as similar or different as two individuals doing the same thing can be in their use of oxygen which correlates directly to calories. As much as an absolute measure of calories burned, the indicated calories should be considered as a benchmark in ones overall consumption of energy."
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »

Cold weather? Maybe not. Thundersnow and sheets of black ice (typical weather here for the next month) are both great excuses to stay the hell inside. I've broken both legs (one on ice), so it's not like I haven't *tried.* :)

I find intensity varies with different treadmills and conditions. The treadmill at my mom's place is smooth as butter with fans and lots of music options, so it's great for recovery runs. The one at work is a punishing hellbeast without any sort of cushion, permanently stuck on 1.5 incline and is guaranteed to do damage to my knees no matter how slow I go, so I only use it when I'm feeling particularly good. Running outside falls somewhere between the two extremes. Though I prefer running outside if possible, it isn't always possible! I never use the elliptical--it always felt funny to me, and it's harder to work up a real sweat.

Excuse. I know people who go running/exercising in icy conditions too. You wont break a leg from slipping over a bit....