First day "running" tales

Options
Today was my first day on the C25K training.

I woke up at 5:30, put in my contacts, brushed my teeth, put on my gear, leashed up my dog, and we headed out.

Best parts: I finished and my new running shoes felt good.

Not so best parts: My legs are tired, my dog decided to try and chase a bunny while I was going up a curb so I fell, I felt self conscious as this giant person lumbering through the 'hood, my calves tried to cramp up during my cool down, and I had continuous thoughts about how I have no business doing this.

I'd love to hear from some others about how you felt your first day/week(s) when starting a running program and how you feel now. (It gets better, right??)

Replies

• kgj4105
    kgj4105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting out! (hey, it's a step in the right direction :)) When I started out running a big part of it was to make sure I kept going, and did at least a little bit of running every day or two - I think my muscles got used to the motion quicker that way, and it wasn't long before it only took an evening for my legs to no longer feel sore, rather than the two or three days I'd be feeling the burn when I first started. That was all about two months ago and I was doing interval run/walks for 20-30 minutes; now I can do 5 miles in one go if I have the time (i was in decent shape to begin with, just not much of a runner). So I'd say yes, it definitely gets better!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thanks, kgj4105! :)
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    A year back, i started walking purposefully. I was a year out of quitting smoking, after 18 years at a pack a day, and i was morbidly obese. My lungs and legs couldn't take running.

After a while of that, i started jogging from one lamp post to the next. And then from one lamp post to the second, once i was capable of that.

but then, over the winter, my walking fell off.

Some friends talked me into signing up for a 5k run/walk at the end of April, so a couple weeks back, i started c25k. Figured i may was well do my best to survive a 5k, right?

Week1/Day1 - sustaining a jog for 60 seconds was super easy! Suprisingly easy! Quick ninety second walk, and then another run. Okay.. not so bad.... what? Another run? And another? By the end of that day, i was gasping for air and regretting my life decisions.

Day 2 wasn't so bad, and i started to realize i wasn't breathing efficiently. I started reading up on "belly breathing" and on Week1/Day3 i started practicing. It was clearly my best day so far. My legs still hurt a bit after Day 3, but not so bad.

Last week i ran Week2/ Days 1-3. After the first day, my legs still ached. The run itself wasn't too bad, although my breathing still needs work. Day 2 was practically uneventful. Which in retrospect was quite amazing. I've never been out for a run and had it be "uneventful." Until then, it had always been torturous....

Yesterday morning i completed Week2/Day3. What really hit me yesterday is that when my mind would wander off, and then i would refocus my attention, i was still belly-breathing. While the last couple of running stretches still taxed my breathing a bit, i wasn't gasping like i had been. And today i just generally feel good. My legs don't ache. I actually debated running this morning, anxious to start week 3, but i don't want to mess with the "rest day" as proscribed by the program designers, who apparently know more about this than i do!

Kudos to you for starting to run! C25k has turned out well for me so far, and i wish you the same success.

if i hit a week where i fail to complete, i will take it in stride, thrilled that i even got there, and continue to plug away at that week/day until i complete it, and then move on. I will run/walk my first 5k before i complete the c25k program i'm on; but i will then finish the program and then proudly run a 5k without walking.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    The very first time I set out to run, I made it about 3/4 of a mile waaaay too fast, and puked in a storm grate.

It will get better...I've run 4 half marathons and more 5ks than I can count. C25K is much, much better than running until you puke, so you're already ahead of the game!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    Thanks, wonko221!

I'll check out belly breathing. And I loved reading how quickly you progressed in how you are feeling. Gives me hope!

I have a 5k in late July and I'd like to run the whole thing (a first for me)... so I think I've given enough time for me to work up to it (with a few repeat weeks factored in :) )
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    My first run was quite a long time ago. I don't remember much except that I cried after because I was obese and felt so hopeless. I'm now a half marathoner. Keep at it, it does get better.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    The very first time I set out to run, I made it about 3/4 of a mile waaaay too fast, and puked in a storm grate.

It will get better...I've run 4 half marathons and more 5ks than I can count. C25K is much, much better than running until you puke, so you're already ahead of the game!

@questionfear sorry you puked, but glad you shared your story and inspiration :)
    My first run was quite a long time ago. I don't remember much except that I cried after because I was obese and felt so hopeless. I'm now a half marathoner. Keep at it, it does get better.

@SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage I almost cried - definitely felt hopeless. These stories are giving me hope and encouragement to keep at it.

Thank you!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    First time I tried to jog/run, I was on a treadmill because I was too embarrassed to go outside, and felt like death after 30 seconds.

It certainly does get better. In my opinion the hardest part is getting started. Everything afterwards is easier, because you've already basically done the big scary thing of deciding to run in the first place.
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I ran this morning for the first time in a while, but it was on a treadmill. I set a goal to run one mile/walk one mile, aaand well, I don't know for sure how much I ran because I had to do it in intervals, walk,run,walk,run. I know for sure over half a mile was ran. But anyhow, my face was beet red when I left the gym! I didn't have anything to eat, but I was drinking a lot of water, and when I got home I chowed down lol. It feels good to accomplish though, doesn't it!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I actually started out running on the treadmill so that I wouldn't have to be seen lumbering around the neighborhood. I started out with very short intervals mixed with a lot of walking and eventually worked up to where I could run a mile without stopping.

Now I'm twenty pounds lighter and feel a bit less ridiculous while running, so I've been venturing out into the outdoors to try my hand at running. I have to say, it's a LOT easier to run outdoors than on a treadmill -- so much easier, in fact, that I may never go back to that miserable treadmill ever again!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting the program! Half the battle is just beginning it!

There are some good articles on breathing. As I progressed through the program, and my runs were getting longer and longer, I noticed my breathing was an issue; labored, ragged, not at all comfortable. My legs felt good, but I was weird with my breathing and awkward at best. I started focusing on slow, steady breaths through my nose, and it was like a switch went on. Take a breath for 4 steps, breathe out. Breath in for a count of 4 steps, breathe out. Now when I am running I honestly don't even think about my breathing. My body just adapted and its not an issue any more.

I've had the calf cramps after running before, too. I read somewhere that it was an electrolyte depletion thing, so I drank 12 ounces of G2 and it went away almost within minutes it seemed. Stretched it out and.. Voila! I am keeping some G2 on hand now since my runs are longer in case it happens again.

Also, I stretch before and after all my runs. Keeps me loose and limber. I've made good use of my foam roller, too. Can never spend enough time working out the kinks to make sure my next run isn't miserable!

Also, take your rest days! Don't run back-to-back days. You may feel strong enough, but remember that your body makes gains while you are resting/recovering. If you don't give it that chance you won't improve/progress.

Just follow the program, it will work. I'll be doing W8D3 tomorrow (last day!) so I can speak from experience. If you need to slow down, slow down. If you need to repeat a day or week, do it. I did. No one was the wiser for it, and it was the best decision I made.

Just keep on moving! Slow but steady wins! Good luck!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    @yesimpson I debated the treadmill, then thought early, early in the morning less people would likely see me.. and it was dark. :) Not for scary day 2 on Wednesday! :)

Good for you @chalaivy! It did feel good that I completed it, no matter how tired I was afterward :)
    I actually started out running on the treadmill so that I wouldn't have to be seen lumbering around the neighborhood. I started out with very short intervals mixed with a lot of walking and eventually worked up to where I could run a mile without stopping.

Now I'm twenty pounds lighter and feel a bit less ridiculous while running, so I've been venturing out into the outdoors to try my hand at running. I have to say, it's a LOT easier to run outdoors than on a treadmill -- so much easier, in fact, that I may never go back to that miserable treadmill ever again!

@RespectTheKitty I'd heard it was easier on the treadmill (mostly for lack of resistance, etc) thanks for sharing your experience.. can't wait until I join your progress in running a mile without stopping!!

Thanks for the advice @brian_gunther. I definitely need to make sure to stretch and I'll see if I can identify whether it was my muscles being tired or an electrolyte issue. It's a whole new set of things to watch out for! Congrats on your success!
  • RespectTheKitty
    Options

@RespectTheKitty I'd heard it was easier on the treadmill (mostly for lack of resistance, etc) thanks for sharing your experience.. can't wait until I join your progress in running a mile without stopping!!

I found it so much easier to run outside. The time and mileage went by so much faster, maybe because I wasn't staring at the numbers on a machine, begging for them to go up. :smile:
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run due to sore knees, so I walked. I started playing Ingress.com to break up the routine, it a GPS game that you must move araound to play. Well I started running from point to point and before I knew it, I became a runner. I now run almost daily and run in half marathons with no knee pain. Start slow and build, you will get to love it and crave the feeling. Good luck tomorrow.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options

I found it so much easier to run outside. The time and mileage went by so much faster, maybe because I wasn't staring at the numbers on a machine, begging for them to go up. :smile:

that makes sense... more distractions. :) I'm all about the distractions!
  • RespectTheKitty
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I couldn't run due to sore knees, so I walked. I started playing Ingress.com to break up the routine, it a GPS game that you must move araound to play. Well I started running from point to point and before I knew it, I became a runner. I now run almost daily and run in half marathons with no knee pain. Start slow and build, you will get to love it and crave the feeling. Good luck tomorrow.

Don't get me started on Ingress... that game nearly ruined me LOL
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I started a C25K program back in August 2014 at about 230lbs and 44 years old having never run farther than a 9th grade gym teacher made me run. The first 60 seconds were seemingly impossible. I don't remember feeling sore necessarily but realized how far I had to go if I was going to keep this running thing up.

The best thing about the C25K program for me is that it keeps progressing. I just had to keep up :) I did repeat a couple of weeks if I felt like I couldn't do the next one, but only once. I trusted the program.

I planned for my first 5k in early November of 2014. I didn't run the whole thing and I came in second to last but only because this very nice 70 year old man ran backwards for part of it, encouraging me, and intentionally letting me cross the finish line before him.

In March of this year I ran my first half marathon! Sadly along the way in my half marathon training I developed plantar fasciitis. I haven't been able to run (although I'm biking and using the elliptical) since that race, and I really miss it! I can't believe I'm now "that person" who says she misses running, but it's true!

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of running. It sometimes sucks, but you're gonna love it!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    You started and that's all that matters. Keep at it! I did c25k several years ago and have since completed numerous half marathons, one full marathon and a Half Ironman! Keep moving and you'll go as far as you want to eventually! P.S. Having been there, my only thought when I see someone larger out exercising is "Good for you! I wish you the best!". I am sure there are many others on MFP who have substantially similar thoughts. So just concentrate on what you're doing. It is unlikely that anyone is actually judging you harshly.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    If you saw my status yesterday, I went from running 30 seconds and now I can do 8 minutes. Just keep at it! it's gonna suck some days and you might need to repeat some weeks, but don't quit!
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    A year ago when I did C25K, I remember not even making it through the first workout and feeling so frustrated. Stuck with it, going to run a marathon in November (and have completed 5 other road races and a half marathon)! Keep going, it gets easier!