Full time workers, when do you go to the gym?

Options

Replies

• MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I work 4pm-12am. I go before work. When I worked 8am-4pm I would go before work or after work whichever worked into my day.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I have two jobs and it's really hard. I go to certain scheduled classes. Like zumb on TUES, thurs, and friday. Other than that, lunch breaks or early in the morning.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym anymore, but when I did, it was before everyone woke up, I'd be back home before 7, get ready for work and go. Now, I still do my home workouts and/or yoga studio before everyone wakes up. Best way for me to start the day, and I feel like I rock it when I realize it's 7am on Monday, and I've finished my workout before everyone wakes and I have to leave for work.

Pretty much ^this^. If I don't work out first thing, it seldom happens.

I would go first thing in the morning before going to the office.

Decided to ditch the gym and do Jillian Michaels DVDs at home earlier this year which is even better!

Still getting up at 5.30am (I do have a caffeine tablet & glass of water on the bedside table to help get me up on winter mornings). After a couple of weeks I got so used to it I still do it on the weekends!
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    When I worked outside the home I went directly from the work place. Dinner prep
    all done the evening before and the morning of that day. Now I work from home and go
    first thing in the morning after breakfast or am snack.

Hubby respected my need then and does now. He hasn’t worked out since he left the Army -LOL! :laugh:
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    after work..usually around 7-8pm
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,712 Member
    Options
    My gym is a 10 minute walk from home. I work 9-6 and it takes almost an hour to get home. I workout after work 7-8 or 8:30, 6 da6s a week. Happily the hubby tolerates getting dinner at 9-9:30 on weekdays. I reserve longer workouts for the weekends (say, cardio +legs or cardio+chest+delts).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I leave my house at 5 am to get there at 5:30 and I'm done by 6:30 am. Shift starts at 7 am so I have it timed down to the minute I have to leave the gym at the latest. My shifts go from 12-14+ hr and then the commute home; going after is not the better option for me so I suck it up and go in the morning. I've gotten use to it and actually love bc no one bothers me bc there is no one there! Am I a morning person? Far from it. Was I happy it came down to this? No but you do what you have to do, no excuses.
    You sound like me. I'm not much of a morning person, but this is the best time for me to work out!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I go during lunch to our local gym three days a week, and I do martial arts two nights a week.
  • crystalmoon_60
    Options
    I work full time and find that in the mornings I can't drag myself up to go exercise. I like going after work. I aquacize 3 times a week and try to work out at home on alternating days. But if I sit down as soon as I get home I find that I am not likely to finish a workout after I relax.
  • bluenoserinbc
    Options
    I go at 7pm not a morning person so before work is out of question ..... it is determination and guilt that drives me! And I feel great afterwards
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    I try to work out at about midnight when I get off work.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I am not getting any less sleep than I already do - so evening for me.
  • aditisub
    aditisub Posts: 1
    Options
    I go at about 6.30pm. I used to pack my gym clothes with me and go straight after work. But now that I go with a friend, we rely on eachother and make sure we go every day. So now I get home at 6, relax a little and then head over to the gym..

Y0u should essentially find the right timing for you. If your partner leaves at 5am I guess he comes home pretty early. That way he can look after your little boy while you're gymming right after work.

At first its really tiring, but once you get into your routine its well worth it :)
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This is one of the benefits of shift work, i either go before or after work depending on weather im on an afternoon or early. The only time i have difficulty is when im on a 12hour shift...i've accepted that i probably wont go when on a 12. Night shift takes a lot of self motivating to get there as well but i usually manage it.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 and I'm at the gym by 5:15. No excuses people :)
  • Liberator7
    Options
    Pretty much can only do three sessions a week. Early in the week get to work early by 7:00 and go for a run to be back at 8:00 to use the office shower and start the day. Thursday morning have a 6:15 to 7:00 circuit training sessions, and either Tuesday/Wednesday or Friday go to the gym or short run at lunch. It isn't a lot, but it's something.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    After work. I work nights 11pm-7am. I go straight to the gym after work.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I never go to a gym - I know I'd find excuses not to go so I just don't go and save the money for new clothes :bigsmile:

What I DO do, though, is this:
    6.00am - wake up, have a cup of tea
    6.45am - DVD workout (20-25 mins)
    7.15am washed and dressed, then breakfast
    8.00am walk to work (15 mins)
    12.30pm - lunchtime walk (20-25 mins)
    4.30 - walk home (15 mins)
    5pm - evening workout - (30-50 mins) - another DVD with aerobics and/or toning, or some Wii Zumba 2.

On a Monday I have a one hour zumba class at the school where I work - so sometimes walk there and back if my friend is not picking me up, and at weekends I do a DVD if its raining or do 1hr+ walking with hubby (and possibly son).

Its worked for me :smile:
  • dontwishforit_workforit
    Options
    Used to go at eight a.m.once I got out of work. Rarely do I go at that time now due to being tired so when I do it is maybe for a half hour then go to bed. However I now have a workout partner (thank you Mfp!) and we go Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. Friday's are family walk day normally with the dogs in tow and that keeps my weekend free.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    3 times a week, we get home, the huz goes out for a run, I feed and prep the kids for bed while getting into my gym kit, he gets home, finishes putting them to bed, I go to the gym.. we eat when I get home. This isn't perfect (eating around 9pm, then a shower..) but it gets it done. One of those 3 times is a weekend day, which is occasionally a morning session if he can haul himself out on a run in time!