Calories, fat and carbs. Do u monitor it all?

Hi all,

Im doing well with the whole calorie counting n have surprised myself! :) The only thing is some days when I look at my nutrition Ive gone over my limit on my carbs or fat. Ive not gone massively over but still over. Im just wondering if any of you have still lost as expected without monitoring your carbs and fat?

Thank you! :) x

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    yep. I actually only pay attention to calories & protein. Calories are my first priority. Then protein, because I am trying to prevent muscle loss.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    I only monitor calories-did this during the weight loss phase and continuing this now in maintenance. I actually edited my food diary to only track calories (my diary should be open if you want to take a peek and see what I mean). I eat a varied diet and I'm in excellent health, so I'm not interested in messing around with macros. My motto is keep things as simple as possible :)
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    I don't worry about the carbs or fat (I'm often over on both), I just worry about the calories. Having lost 19lb since January, I think it's safe to say it doesn't matter!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    As long as you stay under those calories, you can eat any way you want.
    There was a professor that ate only twinkies for 17 days to prove this point.
  • becca1380461
    becca1380461 Posts: 25 Member
    I agree with ReaderGirl13. I have so much to lose that I only worry about Calories! I have not cut out any food groups and feel that my diet is well balanced!
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    I mostly pay attention to calories but if I notice I'm consistently going over in another area, like sodium or fat, I'll make a conscious effort to cut that back.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    yep. I actually only pay attention to calories & protein. Calories are my first priority. Then protein, because I am trying to prevent muscle loss.

This. Maybe even in reverse. I try to hit my protein, and usually when I do that, everything else comes in pretty close.
  • danibean29
    danibean29 Posts: 1 Member
    I pay attention to macros. The macros can be readjusted for your goals. My goals are to lose some fat and gaining lean muscle so I typically do 50 protein 30 fat and 20 carbs. I am now going to readjust and attempt 60/30/10. If your goal is to lose weight you'll want lower on carbs etc. It's all primarily what you are looking to accomplish. You will probably have better results if you pay attention to both calories and macros!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

just as an FYI protein itself won't prevent muscle loss...

eating at a reasonable deficit aka not losing too fast and doing some form of resistance training is what prevents muscle loss.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    I agree with ReaderGirl13. I have so much to lose that I only worry about Calories! I have not cut out any food groups and feel that my diet is well balanced!

That part..
  • Mapla
    Mapla Posts: 15 Member
    Thank you for all of your replies! :) Its really interesting to hear what others do and really helps!!! X

Well done bluepegasus on your weight loss! Id love to lose 19lb! X
  • Trinique34
    Trinique34 Posts: 53 Member
    hmmmm I've been trying really hard to not go over my carbs and fats, maybe I should test it out and see if that will work for me. Would be nice to just focus on Calories. I only have 15 lbs to lose so I feel I should be focusing on those things. Not sure
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

This^

Protein is my focus too.

I also track fiber (not sugar) because that's another thing that helps keep me full.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member

This. Maybe even in reverse. I try to hit my protein, and usually when I do that, everything else comes in pretty close.

Me too. Protein is my first priority. So far Navy tape method, which is the method I've been using to monitor LBM, says I've actually added 6 pounds of lean mass. Could be that is wrong, but at least not seeing any loss of lean mass, so I'll take it.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    my first concern is calories, then protein. carbs and fats come after, and i keep an eye on them, too.
  • Christih12
    Christih12 Posts: 8 Member
    I only focus on calories. And 4 weeks in lost 19.8 lbs.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    ilex70 wrote: »

Me too. Protein is my first priority. So far Navy tape method, which is the method I've been using to monitor LBM, says I've actually added 6 pounds of lean mass. Could be that is wrong, but at least not seeing any loss of lean mass, so I'll take it.

Yes it is...sorry. 6lbs of mass would be a hard go.

OP I monitor protein and calories.

But if I monitor my macros calories fall into place.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    I lose just fine paying attention only to calories. That is all that is important for losing weight. Macro breakdown can help with feeling full and somewhat with body composition, but overall calories rule.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Christih12 wrote: »

4 weeks in 20 pounds lost..... that's 5 pounds a week....
  • Christih12
    Christih12 Posts: 8 Member
    Christih12 wrote: »

4 weeks in 20 pounds lost..... that's 5 pounds a week....

Ya I lost about 8 lbs the 1st week and slowed little bit every week. I rarely been exercising last 2 weeks because when I'm done with daycare for the day my daughter wants me to herself so no time. I'm sure it'll slow down more soon.