Carb Addicted

Options
13»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    A bit less carbohydrate in sweet potato, but more of it is sugars (hence the name).
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I am just going to chime in about the CBT. I also believe that it can help with these issues. I struggle with the whole carb binge/carb cravings thing and I have started to realize, for me, it goes deeper than carbs vs. fat vs. protein. I have issues with food that need to be addressed. The book I am working through is Beck Diet Solution. It is not a diet, it works with whatever diet you choose, but it addresses the emotional/psychological reasons behind our food choices and struggles.

OP - if you truly believe you are "addicted" or have issues with certain foods, CBT may help you sort these things out so that you can be more successful in dealing with triggers or the general daily grind of dealing with these trigger foods being around you.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    No @diannethegeek not you... sorry I came across that way to you. I tried hypnosis years ago, but no go. Definitely need to retrain myself and my routine. Find different outlets so I dont constantly think about needing them... What kind of cognitive help you suggest for me? I want to be successful once and for all.

Find a therapist trained in Cognitive Behavioral therapy. What you are describing is binge eating, not addiction. CBT will help you to identify your distorted thinking patterns and modify them, while also modifying your behavioral responses to these thoughts. The key to successful therapy is finding a therapist who you work well with, and committing to doing the interventions they assign you to do.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    No @diannethegeek not you... sorry I came across that way to you. I tried hypnosis years ago, but no go. Definitely need to retrain myself and my routine. Find different outlets so I dont constantly think about needing them... What kind of cognitive help you suggest for me? I want to be successful once and for all.

Find a therapist trained in Cognitive Behavioral therapy. What you are describing is binge eating, not addiction. CBT will help you to identify your distorted thinking patterns and modify them, while also modifying your behavioral responses to these thoughts. The key to successful therapy is finding a therapist who you work well with, and committing to doing the interventions they assign you to do.

This. OP Please listen to this. Food shouldn't rule lives like that. Find a therapist in your area, call around. Hope you find help.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wow some negativity, or folks dont understand how strong it is... It does control me....Well maybe addiction is too strong of a word. But I can tell you I crave it to the point where I would have to make special stops to buy carbs and bindge .....hide food in my car and at home... I'd eat bread and butter then chocolate then needed salty again.... Get up in the middle of the night to eat....

This sounds less like an addiction to carbs and more like a binge eating disorder for someone whose favorite food is carbs. The idea of being "addicted" to carbs is a popular buzz word nowadays, but binging and having it control your life sounds more like an eating disorder than an addiction to a specific type of food.

I agree with others, find a cognitive behavioral therapist, they may be able to help.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    sylkates wrote: »
    Wow some negativity, or folks dont understand how strong it is... It does control me....Well maybe addiction is too strong of a word. But I can tell you I crave it to the point where I would have to make special stops to buy carbs and bindge .....hide food in my car and at home... I'd eat bread and butter then chocolate then needed salty again.... Get up in the middle of the night to eat....

This sounds less like an addiction to carbs and more like a binge eating disorder for someone whose favorite food is carbs. The idea of being "addicted" to carbs is a popular buzz word nowadays, but binging and having it control your life sounds more like an eating disorder than an addiction to a specific type of food.

I agree with others, find a cognitive behavioral therapist, they may be able to help.

I agree with this, but must note again that "bread and butter" and "chocolate" are going to have just about as many calories from fat as carbs. Why do carbs always get the blame? (Ah, for the '80s! Kidding, of course.)
  • jaybird1705
    jaybird1705 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to eat healthy for a while, but I was missing waffles. I stumbled across CarbQuick. Now I'm making waffles and mashing up a banana in it to sweeten it naturally. I have substituted Carbquick for flour in a few recipes. So far it has worked out great.vtwknic03czh.gif
    idq4yvzsa2pm.jpeg
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I know my weakness... it gets me every time... CARBS!!! Oh give me a loaf of bread and milk chocolate and I'm in heaven. But it truely is an addiction for me. So starting over, yet again. Its been 8 days with almost no carbs and sugar. I feel great! But its not reality, sustainable, they are EVERYWHERE. Need the strength to make them disappear forever!

Fill up on the other macros.....protein, fats, and don't forget the FIBER!!! (beans, legumes, chia/flaxseed). Use a food scale and weigh in grams. Eat your non-starchy veggies with each meal, like a small saute or stir fry with breakfast, chopped salad with lunch, steamed veggies with dinner. My fridge is locked and loaded with veggies in my crisper drawers! Carb macro goes down, protein/fat macros go UP!!! Track fiber and sugar along with protein/carbs/fat.

Fill up on the above, then your craving issues will subside.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    PaulaS1220 wrote: »
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Carbs aren't the devil. Everything in moderation.

Yes, this.

Guys this maybe half factual.

There are some things we can eat in moderation and die as we know from watching the news. :)

It is true carbs are not the devil whatever that word means to one. Carbs are neither good or bad but just organic matter that can produce calories of energy when burned.

Now man made carbs can be killers. Processed foods can chemically not even be kin to what the they were when harvested from nature.

As we know one can not successful lose weight if our Insulin hormone is elevated. Processed carbs (fiber removed, sugar added, and other man developed chemicals added can over time become very toxic to humans in some cases. One might want to call them the 'evil' carbs. :)

Since carbs are not required for great human health it was just a no brainer for me to eliminate them from my Way Of Eating for the most part. My pain dropped from a subjective 7-8 level to 2-3 in 30 days. My carb craving left. Six months in my 40 years of serious IBS resolved and has not returned these last 12 months. My weight dropped to 200 (250 at start) for the first time in 22 years and has maintained at 200 eating 2500+ calories on average daily.

Carbs especially processed carbs are toxic to me as you can understand if what I just typed is true.

That is inspiring!! But how do you manage 50 grams if carbs or under while eating 2500 cals? Im asking because i felt it hard to be under 20 grams of carbs a day and around 1300 cals..I was hangryyy.

@MissMonicaC4 my daily calories needs to be 2500+ and 80% of them come from fats. Anything less than 2200 for a guy is considered a starvation mode diet based upon current science. Yes one can loose weight but over time the regain of 100%+ is the normal for such dieters. Dr. Jason Fung addresses this specifically with science at 10:00 on the video.

I suggest to consider listening to Dr. Jason Fung for 5 minutes and if he does not have your interest do not last the last 25 minutes.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=ETkwZIi3R7w

Remember after 40 years of yo yo diets and being addicted to carbs had wrecked my health. Having my earned OD degree I became fully aware I was rushing to a premature death so I started reading research papers and attending medical conferences around the world by way of Youtube. I went off sugar and all forms of all grain knowing our kids were going to have to watch me require more and more help to move. It was when I seriously considered Enbrel injections in my weakened state that I realized I was giving up on life at the age of 63. My wife who is a pharmacist was saying NO NO for me to get on Enbrel.

After you listen to Dr. Fung for a few minutes you may start to realize the amount of calories you really need. You were hangryyy because your body wants to live a long long time by becoming healthy. :)

Until I grasped how the body works the how to part clicked. Dr. Fung did not come up with this because he was not even born when this WOE was first practiced.

Thank you so much for your post. I really apprciate your honesty and sincerity. I will be watching this video for sure. The problem for me is ive done so much research on too many ways of eating and its confusing. My mom was supposed to be given enbrel.. It was supposed to be her saving grace. She passed away a week later 3 years ago..she did not make it to 50. I dont think it would have helped. Anywho off topic but it defenitely makes me mindful about my diet..why I research it so heavily I believe.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a carb addiction, unless you can show me evidence of people tipping kilos of sugar down them....
  • AnthonyThrashD_
    AnthonyThrashD_ Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    No such thing as a carb addiction, unless you can show me evidence of people tipping kilos of sugar down them....

I've been dealing carbs for years, people pull up to my house late at night, looking to score some mac & cheese and pop-tarts
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I believe an all or nothing approach is what fuels cravings. There have been studies that show when entire food groups are eliminated from people's diets, they start craving them intensely. I tell myself that I can eat anything as long as it fits my cals. I find this so much more liberating than any kind of restrictive approach. I had to get to this space in my head where I could say and believe that "food does not rule me, I am in charge". It felt pretty great when I was buying chocolate for my son's bday and my husband was raising an eyebrow "how are you going to resist eating this all", and I shrugged and said, "I decide what I eat, I am not worried". Trust me, I wasn't like this before, I was drawn to the kids snacks as if a magnet was pulling me every night. I have read two books I have found very insightful in coming to arrive to this point recommended by someone on MFP and I will always be grateful to her:

Brain over Binge by Kathryn Hansen
    The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

I'd say the first one was pretty much transformative for me and I understood a lot of things about myself.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

I've been dealing carbs for years, people pull up to my house late at night, looking to score some mac & cheese and pop-tarts

Hahahah