Abstain from problem foods or indulge for weight loss?

Options
It seems like there are in general two schools of thought on problem foods, either avoid problem foods completely, or eat whatever you want but stay within your weight loss calorie goals. What has worked for others?

I feel like I've tried both and had issues with either. When I abstain I crumple catastrophically or when I indulge I get a taste and can't stop. What has worked for others?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't do well when I tell myself I'm never going to eat something again.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on your personality in my opinion. For the "all or nothing" folks, it seems to be better to totally avoid problem foods until you're at your goal weight and then gradually add back in. For some people this seems like torture. It sounds like maybe you haven't decided yet what works for you. Maybe give it another shot?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have a structure that governs what I eat (mostly foods I like that also serve nutrition goals, minimum protein, vegetables with all meals, 3 balanced meals and maybe one pre-planned snack depending on my workout schedule). Then, as it fits, I will allow myself something extra either after dinner (high quality cheese or ice cream, usually) or fit in some extras into my meals (some higher calorie choices vs. the usual).

For me this IS eating what I want within my calorie goals, but I get the feeling some don't think "what I want" includes "what I want due to nutrition and workout goals" or that it means no plan at all.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I do a little of both. I work in some treats that I know I will enjoy and that will keep me satisfied.

I also avoid "trigger foods" - the ones that I know I tend to go overboard with.

For example, every night I have a small serving of ice cream. I measure it. I look forward to it. It ends my day and I don't tend to go looking for other things to eat. I don't ever want seconds, even though I enjoy every bite.

Trigger example - I can't eat gluten any more, but when I could, sugar cookies were a trigger for me. Something about a hot sugar cookie made me want to eat 100 hot sugar cookies. Or cold sugar cookies. Or doritos. Let's just say, one taste and I threw all caution to the wind. No sugar cookies for this girl.

Hope this helps.
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I generally eat whatever I want with just a very few exceptions. Pizza being one of those, I never have pizza on the spur of the moment. I still have it occasionally, I just plan it ahead of time what, and how much I am going to eat.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I fit a treat into my calories every day. It's usually 200 or so calories that I have left after dinner.

I can still eat what I want, but I can't eat the quantity that I want.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    There are times when I have no self-control and others when I am very disciplined. I bought a pint of Talenti over a week ago and I still haven't finished it. I just eat a couple spoons everyday when I get a craving. But a few weeks ago I finished a pint in two days (most of it the first night).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I do a little of both. I work in some treats that I know I will enjoy and that will keep me satisfied.

I also avoid "trigger foods" - the ones that I know I tend to go overboard with.

For example, every night I have a small serving of ice cream. I measure it. I look forward to it. It ends my day and I don't tend to go looking for other things to eat. I don't ever want seconds, even though I enjoy every bite.

Trigger example - I can't eat gluten any more, but when I could, sugar cookies were a trigger for me. Something about a hot sugar cookie made me want to eat 100 hot sugar cookies. Or cold sugar cookies. Or doritos. Let's just say, one taste and I threw all caution to the wind. No sugar cookies for this girl.

Hope this helps.

I avoid trigger foods as well. For example, attempts to moderately consume a pint of Ben & Jerry's S'Mores fail, but I can moderate the 4 ounce mini cups, which are good, but do not come in my favorite flavors.

I have plenty of treats - there's no need for me to struggle with trigger foods like Oreos or M & Ms.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    MikeAV8s wrote: »
    I generally eat whatever I want with just a very few exceptions. Pizza being one of those, I never have pizza on the spur of the moment. I still have it occasionally, I just plan it ahead of time what, and how much I am going to eat.

Ya, I have to plan for pizza as well.
  • MikeAV8s
    Options
    There are times when I have no self-control and others when I am very disciplined. I bought a pint of Talenti over a week ago and I still haven't finished it. I just eat a couple spoons everyday when I get a craving. But a few weeks ago I finished a pint in two days (most of it the first night).

I quote this only to point out how different we all respond to different foods. I have a small serving of Ice cream every night, no problems at all. But pizza?????fuggetaboutit........
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want all the time, but my #1 "want" is to stay in a macro range that keeps me full. So, there are lots and lots of lean meats, veggies, fruits...with a lot of "problem" foods as you put it in there as well.

I have a TDEE that is higher than most though so it's pretty easy to fit things in for me, even when cutting.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

Hope this helps.

I have the same experience with "trigger foods". I am mostly eating what I like, but, at least for now, have decided to abstain from the foods that trigger binges for me: chocolate, cookies, and ice cream. I do hope to be able to eat these foods again on special occasions, but right now I have way too much weight to lose to afford the extra 1000 calories in one sitting.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I do have to say that there are some foods that just aren't worth the calories to me anymore. I would still eat them if it was a feast day (Christmas, Easter, etc) when I wasn't counting calories, but so not worth it more frequently.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    If I can't lose weight while still enjoying foods I like I can't lose weight. The second I decide to be restrictive or cut out certain foods or food groups I start to obsess about and crave those foods. Better to learn how to keep them in their proper place and still enjoy them.

Running away from or avoiding the problem will never truly solve it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This took me several tries to FINALLY figure out.....why should I measure and log portions of foods I am allowed to eat on while a diet, and ignore those other "bad" foods or "trigger" foods until I am at goal.

Am I not going to have a problem with those foods when I get to goal? Do I not need to worry about portion sizes for chocolate, and ice cream? Is self-control going to magically appear because I'm a size 8?

I've been a size 8......a few times. No magic self-control (for me). So now I allow myself treats here and there. I'm not perfect, but then I realize perfection isn't required for weight loss (this realization didn't happen overnight either).
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options

^^^^^THIS
    I could not have managed with food restrictions. Over time I cleaned up my diet, and as my goals went higher and higher, I lost my desire to eat certain foods.
    All that would change if somebody told me I could no longer eat KFC ever again.
    I have not eaten that in years, but just knowing I can't have it would make me want it.
    I am insane that way... >:)
  • MikeAV8s
    Options
    If I can't lose weight while still enjoying foods I like I can't lose weight. The second I decide to be restrictive or cut out certain foods or food groups I start to obsess about and crave those foods. Better to learn how to keep them in their proper place and still enjoy them.

Running away from or avoiding the problem will never truly solve it.

This is spot on and I don't think a number of people grasp this or they don't believe it. That is exactly what I mean about pizza, if I tried to cut it out completely, I would obsess. Instead, I plan for pizza.
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have to completely stop any trigger foods. That would be Milk(not really a food but one of my main triggers, peanut butter and chocolate( yes together), chocolate and caramel (again..together), and chips. I cannot have any of these otherwise it snowballs...terribly. I eat on little tiny peanut butter cup and suddenly I have 20 gone. Milk is my #1 trigger, I will drink an entire GALLON, yes GALLON, a day. I have been known to drink even two gallons every once in a while in one day. That sounds horrible but so so true. I can't even sip milk otherwise I have no self-control. Other then my trigger foods I eat what I want.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Hope this helps.

Me too -- a little of both. I make room to have plenty of treats, but two foods I must stay away from at this point in my journey are Doritos and donuts.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

^^^^^THIS
    I could not have managed with food restrictions. Over time I cleaned up my diet, and as my goals went higher and higher, I lost my desire to eat certain foods.
    All that would change if somebody told me I could no longer eat KFC ever again.
    I have not eaten that in years, but just knowing I can't have it would make me want it.
    I am insane that way... >:)

Yep, knowing I can have cookies (or whatever) whenever I want makes it much easier for me to decide *not* to have cookies most of the time. They're always there when I really want them. It takes away the obsession that I would feel before.