Paleo based diet?

Options

Replies

• tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The processing of food has been around for thousands of years. Putting grain in a wheel, processing. Smoking meats, processing. Salting fish in an amphora, processing. Beer = liquid bread, processing. Wine, processed. Some might call jerky or hard tack processed foods. When I talk to people in my social circles, process foods refers to over processed or unnecessarily processed foods. These would commonly be located in the center of a grocery store. The endless array of shelf stable products that have ingredient lists that read like scientific papers or are longer than a poem by Thoreau. A package of frozen strawberries I would not consider as processed as the TV Dinner sitting just a few meters away. I look at the package of frozen strawberries it says "Strawberries" or "Organic Strawberries" while the Mexican TV dinner or the Pizza has a long list of ingredients, some that are down right hard to pronounce and they layman would not have clue what they were. You don't need to put natural flavors or colors in the strawberries, but you would be hard pressed not to find those on just about every processed entree in the frozen case. They add preservatives to the entree because freezing was just not enough? I can pickle foods and the ingredient list is a whole lot shorter than the list on the jar of pickles in the store. I can pull pick fresh food, blanch them and put them in the freezer with the ability to last at least a year. I have canned meat, veggies, fruits and even complete sauces with a life span of one to two years. You start measuring products on the shelf with a half life, and I think we could all agree it was over processed. I do believe Jamie Oliver said it best, "If the ingredient list in the store includes something near unpronounceable or more than five ingredients, don't eat it."
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The processing of food has been around for thousands of years. Putting grain in a wheel, processing. Smoking meats, processing. Salting fish in an amphora, processing. Beer = liquid bread, processing. Wine, processed. Some might call jerky or hard tack processed foods. When I talk to people in my social circles, process foods refers to over processed or unnecessarily processed foods. These would commonly be located in the center of a grocery store. The endless array of shelf stable products that have ingredient lists that read like scientific papers or are longer than a poem by Thoreau. A package of frozen strawberries I would not consider as processed as the TV Dinner sitting just a few meters away. I look at the package of frozen strawberries it says "Strawberries" or "Organic Strawberries" while the Mexican TV dinner or the Pizza has a long list of ingredients, some that are down right hard to pronounce and they layman would not have clue what they were. You don't need to put natural flavors or colors in the strawberries, but you would be hard pressed not to find those on just about every processed entree in the frozen case. They add preservatives to the entree because freezing was just not enough? I can pickle foods and the ingredient list is a whole lot shorter than the list on the jar of pickles in the store. I can pull pick fresh food, blanch them and put them in the freezer with the ability to last at least a year. I have canned meat, veggies, fruits and even complete sauces with a life span of one to two years. You start measuring products on the shelf with a half life, and I think we could all agree it was over processed. I do believe Jamie Oliver said it best, "If the ingredient list in the store includes something near unpronounceable or more than five ingredients, don't eat it."

Does Oliver go on to explain why his personal ability or inability to pronounce a word relates at all to the value of a food? Or why a six-ingredient jar of, say, olive tapenade is less worthy than a four-ingredient jar of olive tapenade?

You can say something pithy (and that isn't even especially well-phrased, but whatever), but that doesn't make it a good guide for life. Why do you consider that to be valuable advice?
  • tryin2die2self
    Options

Does Oliver go on to explain why his personal ability or inability to pronounce a word relates at all to the value of a food? Or why a six-ingredient jar of, say, olive tapenade is less worthy than a four-ingredient jar of olive tapenade?

You can say something pithy (and that isn't even especially well-phrased, but whatever), but that doesn't make it a good guide for life. Why do you consider that to be valuable advice?

My beef pot roast with mixed veggies has more than 5 ingredients in it... but then it is not shelf stable. Some things are going to have more ingredients than others purely because of what they are. I think we can both agree that is not the point Jamie was making. Do you really need 12 ingredients in a loaf of plain bread?? Go google "white bread" or "organic wheat bread", switch to the images and take a look at the list. I make bread at home with half of those ingredients. Sure mine is only shelf stable for two days, but then I can't wad mine up into a ball and bounce it either. I think the point Jamie is trying to make is be educated about what you are putting into your body or feeding your children instead of just taking for granted it is good for you. Next time you go to the store, take a hard look at the ingredients. Know what they are? Why are they in there? Asking questions requires effort. I dare say most people pick what looks good, for the least amount of money and put it in the cart. Effort, almost zero. After all, the government said it was ok to eat or it would not be on the shelves.

Why would anyone put something in their body if they did not know what it was? There are over 70,000 food additives approved by the FDA and the list grows everyday. Heck. I bet only a handful of people on the planet know what they all are or can even properly pronounce them. Some of the additives approved by the FDA have been banned in other countries. But they are ok because... ?? That is just the list of ingredients, lets not even get into the process of stripping nutritional value from a food only to add other things back to fill the void (like taste). Delving into processor mismanagement only compounds the issue. The FDA only investigates most food processor if something goes horribly awry (anyone like to eat at Chipolte or have some Blue Bell Ice Cream??) I digress.

I consider it valuable because it forces you to question what is in your food. It forces you to question if it is necessary. If forces you to look for alternatives. It requires effort. If that olive tapenade has six ingredients and you like what you see, great. What about that jar next to it that has sixteen ingredients and half the price? Is that a price you are willing to pay? Is that a price you would force a child to pay?
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

My beef pot roast with mixed veggies has more than 5 ingredients in it... but then it is not shelf stable. Some things are going to have more ingredients than others purely because of what they are. I think we can both agree that is not the point Jamie was making. Do you really need 12 ingredients in a loaf of plain bread?? Go google "white bread" or "organic wheat bread", switch to the images and take a look at the list. I make bread at home with half of those ingredients. Sure mine is only shelf stable for two days, but then I can't wad mine up into a ball and bounce it either. I think the point Jamie is trying to make is be educated about what you are putting into your body or feeding your children instead of just taking for granted it is good for you. Next time you go to the store, take a hard look at the ingredients. Know what they are? Why are they in there? Asking questions requires effort. I dare say most people pick what looks good, for the least amount of money and put it in the cart. Effort, almost zero. After all, the government said it was ok to eat or it would not be on the shelves.

Why would anyone put something in their body if they did not know what it was? There are over 70,000 food additives approved by the FDA and the list grows everyday. Heck. I bet only a handful of people on the planet know what they all are or can even properly pronounce them. Some of the additives approved by the FDA have been banned in other countries. But they are ok because... ?? That is just the list of ingredients, lets not even get into the process of stripping nutritional value from a food only to add other things back to fill the void (like taste). Delving into processor mismanagement only compounds the issue. The FDA only investigates most food processor if something goes horribly awry (anyone like to eat at Chipolte or have some Blue Bell Ice Cream??) I digress.

I consider it valuable because it forces you to question what is in your food. It forces you to question if it is necessary. If forces you to look for alternatives. It requires effort. If that olive tapenade has six ingredients and you like what you see, great. What about that jar next to it that has sixteen ingredients and half the price? Is that a price you are willing to pay? Is that a price you would force a child to pay?

Sooo, just wadded up a piece of Aldi (22 ingredient) bread and threw it on the floor. It did not bounce. Seriously, where do people come up with these things? (and now my husband is looking at me like I'm utterly nuts, because yes I actually did just throw a piece of wadded up bread on my kitchen floor).

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

Sooo, just wadded up a piece of Aldi (22 ingredient) bread and threw it on the floor. It did not bounce. Seriously, where do people come up with these things? (and now my husband is looking at me like I'm utterly nuts, because yes I actually did do just throw a piece of wadded up bread on my kitchen floor).

Right now, at this moment, you are my hero.
  • ReaderGirl3
    Options
    Afura wrote: »

Sooo, just wadded up a piece of Aldi (22 ingredient) bread and threw it on the floor. It did not bounce. Seriously, where do people come up with these things? (and now my husband is looking at me like I'm utterly nuts, because yes I actually did do just throw a piece of wadded up bread on my kitchen floor).

Right now, at this moment, you are my hero.

I've got Meijer and Walmart bread in the cupboard as well-it's gonna get wild over here lol!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Sooo, just wadded up a piece of Aldi (22 ingredient) bread and threw it on the floor. It did not bounce. Seriously, where do people come up with these things? (and now my husband is looking at me like I'm utterly nuts, because yes I actually did just throw a piece of wadded up bread on my kitchen floor).

I just did a spit take of my highly processed Diet Coke!

I eat Taco Bell on occasion, and I can personally attest that if you leave it sitting out it will change it's appearance and go bad. Left an extra taco in the the bag in my car by mistake for a few days and it did in fact get nasty. But I didn't write it down at the time, so I'm guessing I can't count it as a scientific finding.

I have seen many recipes for homemade food that have more than 5 or 6 ingredients - I make pumpkin bread that has 10 ingredients. Fritos Corn Chips have 3 ingredients: corn, corn oil, and salt. I would love to try Indian food, but I have no idea how to pronounce all the different spice blends they use, and I don't technically know what they are, so I guess it's bad for me?
  • asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have successfully maintained an 80 pound weight loss for over a year mainly through calorie control on MFP. However, I am becoming increasingly aware that the overall quality of my diet could really be improved. I tend to rely on prepared and processed foods that carb heavy. My goal is to really start leaning out and increasing my lean muscle mass through exercise/weight training. In order to achieve this, I am realizing that I need to really start focusing on the quality of food I am consuming and the Paleo diet has been intriguing me for some time now.

I am interested in integrating the principles of Paleo based eating into my diet. For those with experience with the Paleo diet, can you offer me any suggestions or tips to get started? Any books/resources you can recommend?

Thank you so much!

I started eating paleo after reading "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson. Not the only resource out there, but one that I've actually read. His website marksdailyapple.com is also pretty good for starting out, especially the "definitive guides."

It's typical to have a discomfort when first cutting down carbs as you transition to primarily burning fat for energy. Commonly called a "carb flu" or "keto flu" it's nothing to worry about. Anytime I eat carbs the way I used to (vacations, mostly) it's a bit rough getting back into low carb for 1-3 days. Then everything hums along nicely.

MFP can be tricky when adjusting your daily goals... but use this calculator to help you with those: keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ Remember you want to pay attention to your net carbs, not total.

In terms of what to actually eat, it depends on your activity level. I used to lift heavy, and now do BJJ so I am not shy about eating some yams / sweet potatoes for additional carbs pre/post training. Otherwise though, it's pretty easy for me to do something like:
    Breakfast - 4 eggs + sausage
    Lunch - Skip
    Dinner - Sweet potato, chicken breast, smoothie (kale, blueberries, almond milk)

Hope that helped! If you have more specific questions don't hesitate to friend me and ask directly :)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Just because you can't be bothered to do a little research on what is in your food doesn't make food additives dangerous, or validate your idea that they should be avoided.

Here are the ingredients to the Sobe Lifewater you like:
    FILTERED WATER, ERYTHRITOL, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVOR, CALCIUM LACTATE, XANTHAN GUM, ASCORBIC ACID, PURIFIED STEVIA LEAF EXTRACT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, BLACK CARROT JUICE CONCENTRATE (COLOR), GINGER EXTRACT, NIACINAMIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, COCHINEAL EXTRACT (COLOR), PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, CARAMEL COLOR, CYANOCOBALAMIN

Do you know what all of those ingredients are? Your diary is super interesting for someone espousing the benefits of eating non-processed or minimally-processed foods.

And yes, I eat Chipotle once a week. Because delicious.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    http://eathropology.com/category/processed-meats/

To avoid the dangers of idiot bloggers writing about processed meats:

Always read primary sources for yourself. If there are no primary sources, leave a pleasantly snarky comment to that effect on the blog site and never go there again.

Don’t read any articles about sodium nitrate or MSG from bloggers who don’t know how to spell “nitrosamine.”

Avoid eating red meats served by restaurants, schools, hospitals, hotels or other institutions without asking for it to be served thick and juicy, just the way you like it. This will give you the courage and moral fortitude to look up stuff yourself on PubMed, without having to rely on bloggers who don’t know how to spell “nitrosamine.”

If you are fixated on fresh something, be fixated on Fresh Prince.

Avoid processed blog material as much as possible

Spread the word and tell others about the dangers of reading idiot blogs about the dangers of sodium nitrate and MSG

Vitamin C naturally found in lime juice that has been gently squeezed into a tumbler of tequila has been shown to help prevent the formation of permanent facepalms after accidently ingesting an idiot nutrition blog and can help protect you from the devastating IQ-lowering effects of blobbers who cant spll. The best defense of course is to avoid the interwebz all together and go dancewalking.
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Just because you can't be bothered to do a little research on what is in your food doesn't make food additives dangerous, or validate your idea that they should be avoided.

FILTERED WATER, ERYTHRITOL, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVOR, CALCIUM LACTATE, XANTHAN GUM, ASCORBIC ACID, PURIFIED STEVIA LEAF EXTRACT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, BLACK CARROT JUICE CONCENTRATE (COLOR), GINGER EXTRACT, NIACINAMIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, COCHINEAL EXTRACT (COLOR), PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, CARAMEL COLOR, CYANOCOBALAMIN

Do you know what all of those ingredients are? Your diary is super interesting for someone espousing the benefits of eating non-processed or minimally-processed foods.

Ha, that's nothing compared to the cookies n' cream protein powder-now there's an ingredient label that will make your head spin :p I counted around 26 ingredients before I hit 'artificial flavors', it kind of lost me after that. I wonder if it bounces when you throw it on the floor?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Don't know much about Paleo diet, but is it because you are having health issues or are you wanting to do it because everyone else is doing it??
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I did too. It bounced like 1 inch.
    For comparison, a completely unprocessed plum bounces just as much.
  • Serah87
    edited April 2016
    Options

I can bounce a apple does that make an apple bad??
  • Serah87
    Options

LOL
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    (although much as I dislike Taco Bell I seriously doubt that claim). It's also plain greek yogurt, canned tomatoes, dried pasta, smoked salmon, the best local cheeses, a very healthy pre-made paleo meal from https://www.kitchfix.com/ (yes, paleo can be a money-maker for some!).

Some scientists did a simple study, leaving a Taco Bell meal out for 2 years, it never looked any different, but doubt away. I think you know what is meant by "processed foods". Also, nice spam there.

Thanks for providing links and evidence of this "study" to substantiate your claims.
  • tryin2die2self
    Options

I only tried the bounce once, with Wonderbread, at a Weight Watchers meeting around 2003. It bounced. Have I tried it on every variety of bread out there, no. Once was enough for me. However, if you take take a look at the list of ingredients the point was made :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Not knowing what something is has nothing to do with whether or not I can pronounce it. If I don't know what something is, I can look it up and determine if I want to eat it. I don't need to be able to pronounce it -- that piece of data is absolutely irrelevant. The number of ingredients is irrelevant.

What you're telling me in this expanded answer has little to do with what Oliver said.

Yeah, people should understand what is in their food. What does that have to do with the quote that you posted though?
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options

I only tried the bounce once, with Wonderbread, at a Weight Watchers meeting around 2003. It bounced. Have I tried it on every variety of bread out there, no. Once was enough for me. However, if you take take a look at the list of ingredients the point was made :)

I just googled every single ingredient on the bread label and none of them were bad/made me concerned (the majority are added vitamins). To each their own :)
  • tryin2die2self
    Options

I did not ever claim I was some sort of food saint. Far from it. I am a Christian too. AND a sinner. However, I do try my hardest to stay away from processed food. Also, my diary is just that a diary. It is not a legal deposition. I find something close to what I am eating with a mid line range of calories and log it. If I make a strawberry salad at home and it looks to contain about the same ingredients but the MFP listing as Wendys, I use it. It is easy to scan the items and add them but what about things you can't scan. If you cook at it home you can build the recipe and hope MFP does not crash on you (which it does about a third of the time for me). Really hard to do when you are eating at friends/family and they are cooking with the best intentions.

On the particular day in question you pulled the water from it was that, sweet tea, lemonade or a long list of sodas. Considering we were out on the lake having a birthday party, I chose the Sobe over lake water. I must say I think that is the first time I have drank that concoction. If I had it to do over again, I would have brought water. I also choose not to eat hot dogs, hamburgers, pasta salad, fries, four different kinds of pies, six or seven bags of chips and a host of other things. Considering I was intermittent fasting that day and we were eating at 2 PM, I felt pretty darn good about my choices. However, I am glad you looked back over my diet for the last four days to find one entry that sparked your interest.

Yesterday I had three slices of edible arrangements chocolate covered apple (gift from wife) and the topping off three slices of pizza too (work event). For supper I had seven, YES seven, tortilla chips when we ate Mexican food at the anniversary/double birthday party and a very thin slice of cake. I did not have the bowl of chips, salsa or flour/corn tortillas. The list of processed foods I stayed away from far outweighed what I could have eaten.

If you really want to poke a stick at a processed food I do eat... it is a protein supplement. It goes against the grain. Anyone knows of a better protein supplement with less processing, please let me know.