Retaining water in the am..

Options
I like to weigh myself first thing in the am, supposedly it's the best time..

But, i retain water in the morning and i think it's throwing me off, i feel i should be losing faster, sometimes i go weeks and the scale hasnt moved... I weigh everyday. It's frustrating but i kinda feel like if i didnt retain so much water then I'd have a better result..

Help?

Replies

• Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Google the Whoosh. I just had my first experience with this. Basically, the fat cells fill with water when you are losing. Randomly, they "whoosh" and you lose weight on the scale quickly. I went down 4.6 pounds in three days after about 5 days of staying the same weight. It hasn't come back.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Normal.... that's why you should not use the scale as a measurement tool - use a tape measure....
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Dandelie wrote: »
    Google the Whoosh. I just had my first experience with this. Basically, the fat cells fill with water when you are losing. Randomly, they "whoosh" and you lose weight on the scale quickly. I went down 4.6 pounds in three days after about 5 days of staying the same weight. It hasn't come back.

I'm gonna look into it, but it seems this has been the constant in this journey
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How do you know that you are retaining water specifically in the morning?

How much sodium are you getting in your diet? I'm wondering if that may be the culprit since this has been a long term issue.
  • sarahfadell87
    Options
    Because i can feel it in my face, & my hands are swollen.

Tbh, I don't really monitor the sodium contents in the things i eat, but I don't salt anything.

I've actually always been this way. Every morning for as long as i can remember, i kinda thought it was just something that happened to everyone
  • sarahfadell87
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Are you weighing your food?

Yes i do
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem half of the month. Usually a few weeks prior to my friend visiting :wink: It is annoying because I weigh daily like you do, and I get so fixated on that number. Just be patient and whatever you do don't give up!
  • sarahfadell87
    Options
    I have the same problem half of the month. Usually a few weeks prior to my friend visiting :wink: It is annoying because I weigh daily like you do, and I get so fixated on that number. Just be patient and whatever you do don't give up!

Ugh, it's so annoying. I just wanna see a constant slope down!! Lol

Sometimes im like something is so not right,especially when i look at sometimes how long it takes, but when i look at the bigger picture im like ok, ive lost x amount of weight so i guess im ok.

But sheesh.

Trying so hard to reach my 2nd goal already.
  • jamacianredhair
    Options
    Oh PS I downloaded a weight trend app. If you're a number person like I am it's cool to see that the trend is down even though it feels like it isn't. Also at the bottom of your diary hit the nutrition button and see if your going over your daily recommended sodium. Everyone is different but these are a few things I do.
  • sarahfadell87
    Options
    Oh PS I downloaded a weight trend app. If you're a number person like I am it's cool to see that the trend is down even though it feels like it isn't. Also at the bottom of your diary hit the nutrition button and see if your going over your daily recommended sodium. Everyone is different but these are a few things I do.

Whats the app? Sounds interesting. Ill have to check out the sodium thing. I think i just pay attention to the calories in things and not necessarily what else is in them
  • sarahfadell87
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    But, i retain water in the morning and i think it's throwing me off,

Should probably set the water down rather than hold it in your hands while

I literally LOL'd.

But thank you for the advice, i have recently gotten a measurerthingabob.

How often is one supposed to measure?
  • jamacianredhair
    Options
    I use aktiBMI it was the first one that popped up on the Google Play Store
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Tbh, I don't really monitor the sodium contents in the things i eat, but I don't salt anything.

I've actually always been this way. Every morning for as long as i can remember, i kinda thought it was just something that happened to everyone

Try going into your diary and adding the sodium column. Even if you didn't have the column in the past, making it show up now will let your sodium info from the past show up. Sodium causes water retention. If you have been eating a diet high in sodium, you will be retaining more water due to it. Adding salt from the salt shaker usually doesn't add that much sodium to a diet. It's food that you buy already prepared (e.g., cottage cheese) that usually have higher sodium contents.
  • sarahfadell87
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Try going into your diary and adding the sodium column. Even if you didn't have the column in the past, making it show up now will let your sodium info from the past show up. Sodium causes water retention. If you have been eating a diet high in sodium, you will be retaining more water due to it. Adding salt from the salt shaker usually doesn't add that much sodium to a diet. It's food that you buy already prepared (e.g., cottage cheese) that usually have higher sodium contents.

This makes more sense than anything.

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm still learning. Lol.

You all are very helpful though, and it is truly appreciated.

Gonna try to eat more whole foods.

Im a busy chick so i eat a lot of convenience foods.. Prepackaged nonsense.

Gonna try & eat more whole foods
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

It happens to me, but I only noticed now that I wear a ring. It glides on and off easily in the evening, but super tight in the morning. I haven't been bothered enough to try to change it, I just figure it's how bodies are.

I wouldn't think it makes a difference in your overall weight though, that water will fluctuate daily. I had pizza for dinner and didn't notice any extra puffiness so I doubt that sodium is a factor, most days I keep it within guidelines. I have heard of lemon water being a nice natural diuretic if you're uncomfortably bloated.
  • sarahfadell87
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »

It happens to me, but I only noticed now that I wear a ring. It glides on and off easily in the evening, but super tight in the morning. I haven't been bothered enough to try to change it, I just figure it's how bodies are.

I wouldn't think it makes a difference in your overall weight though, that water will fluctuate daily. I had pizza for dinner and didn't notice any extra puffiness so I doubt that sodium is a factor, most days I keep it within guidelines. I have heard of lemon water being a nice natural diuretic if you're uncomfortably bloated.

It usually is enough for me to notice, change in size in my hands and tightness..

Legit swolleness
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Second the recommendation for TrendWeight or HappyScale or one of those. They will even out your daily morning weigh-ins. Mine goes up and down and up and down. So rather than freak out that I am gaining and losing I know it's just part of my normal fluctuations.

Use a measuring tape maybe once a month, or once every 2-3 months. That will help you to see progress in your size. Also, take photos as you go.

And lastly, you can't expect to lose weight one day to the next. Your body can only metabolize fat so fast. Like others have mentioned, mine likes to stay the same weight for weeks at a time then let go of a bunch at once. Then sit at the next level for weeks again. I know it's annoying, but you gotta be patient.

If you feel bloated, maybe try to make sure you are drinking enough water. You need to hydrate in order for your body to be willing to let go of water. It's possible you are only hydrating during certain times of day, and that's leading to you feeling bloated in the morning. Try to drink a lot of water throughout the day.
  • sarahfadell87
    Options
    Second the recommendation for TrendWeight or HappyScale or one of those. They will even out your daily morning weigh-ins. Mine goes up and down and up and down. So rather than freak out that I am gaining and losing I know it's just part of my normal fluctuations.

Use a measuring tape maybe once a month, or once every 2-3 months. That will help you to see progress in your size. Also, take photos as you go.

And lastly, you can't expect to lose weight one day to the next. Your body can only metabolize fat so fast. Like others have mentioned, mine likes to stay the same weight for weeks at a time then let go of a bunch at once. Then sit at the next level for weeks again. I know it's annoying, but you gotta be patient.

If you feel bloated, maybe try to make sure you are drinking enough water. You need to hydrate in order for your body to be willing to let go of water. It's possible you are only hydrating during certain times of day, and that's leading to you feeling bloated in the morning. Try to drink a lot of water throughout the day.
    I just installed happyscale.. Im excited. Lol i set my goal further, got 10 5lb milestones... A little extra motivation, i can dig that lol