Retaining water in the am..

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Prepared foods/deli foods/deli meat/frozen meals/fast food are all notoriously high in sodium. If you have quite a bit of weight to lose, please see a doctor. You could have high blood pressure/hypertension. I generally agree that drinking more water is the solution, but not if you have undiagnosed high blood pressure. Thyroid disease also presents with morning face and hand swelling.

Start finding ways to bring your own healthier lunch and snacks that don't have added salt. It isn't normal to have noticeable water retention in the morning, i.e. swollen face and hands. Do you drink alcohol?
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Occasionally, and by occasionally i mean probably once a month or so
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    If you are eating alot of proccesed foods your eating alot of salt but you need to go to nutrition and it will list salt, protien, ect. Then you will know how much salt your eating. You need to stay under 2300g but if your over 50 or have any thing like diabetes then its 1500g
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options

well, that's good. :)

How long has it been since you had a checkup with a doctor?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Real talk. If you're actually losing weight and just retaining water that would mean you're retaining more and more water every week to stay the same weight. This isn't a possibility. You're just not losing weight. Double check your food and exercise calories. Something is off.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Do you know why you are retaining water? As water retention can be an indication of a medical problem you may want to consult a doctor. If there isn't a medical issue, here are a few suggestions. Make sure your sleeping environment is cool, control your sodium intake (under 1500 mg is ideal), don't exercise for at least 3 hours before bedtime, drink plenty of water - at least 12 glasses a day, and increase your potassium, B6, and magnesium. Also, I advise my nutrition clients to weigh no more often than once a week - it is really hard to be really good several days in a row and not see a difference.
  • sarahfadell87
    Options

A while..
  • sarahfadell87
    Options

A while..
    About 2 yrs