Is it ok to eat less than 1000 calories?

Options
I was just wondering. Is it ok to eat less than 1000 calories per day? If I'm trying to lose about 2 pounds a week, I have to subtract 1000 calories from my daily calorie needs. I calculated my daily calories needs and it says I need about 1600 calories. (I'm 4'11'' , 118 pounds) so if I subtract 1000 from that, I only should be eating about 600 calories? Im sorta confused because a lot of people say that it's bad to eat less than 1000 calories....Am I suppose to eat 600 calories to lose 2 pounds per week?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    When you get to stages like this, you need to lose slower, not eat less. Have patience, young padawan. Set your weight loss goal to 1 lb per week or less.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Does MFP tell you to eat 1600 calories? If so then 2lb weight loss a week is programmed into that target :)
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    No.
  • marshaxsimoni
    marshaxsimoni Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more than 600 calories a day - if MFP is telling you to eat 1600 a day, then it's what you should eat to lose 2 pounds a week :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    When you get to stages like this, you need to lose slower, not eat less. Have patience, young padawan. Set your weight loss goal to 1 lb per week or less.
    Words of truth.

You should be going for one pound a week when you have so little to lose, and you also can increase your calorie deficit through exercise.
  • origamixstarzz
    origamixstarzz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    MFP programmed 1200 calories for me. I got 1600 calories from another website. So I just have to eat 1200 calories a day? and lets say I eat 1200 calories and I burn off 400 calories. Do I have to eat back those 400 calories?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    First - you have 20lbs to lose. change your goal from 2lb/week to .5 or 1lb/week

Next - yes, eat back your exercise calories. MFP is designed for users to eat their exercise calories back. The formula is stated on the Goals page.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    MFP programmed 1200 calories for me. I got 1600 calories from another website. So I just have to eat 1200 calories a day? and lets say I eat 1200 calories and I burn off 400 calories. Do I have to eat back those 400 calories?

Your supposed to eat the back. Some do, some don't and some eat somewhere in between.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you could possibly get enough nutrient eating only 600 calories a day, or not be starving all the time, even at a shorter height.

Technically, at 4'11 and 118lbs, you're already at a healthy weight. While it's understandable to want to lose a few more pounds if you're not comfortable where you are, it's not realistic or healthy for you to expect a 2lb a week loss when your weight is already so low. Set your expectations down to 1/2lb to 1lb a week and eat a little bit more, or it's likely that you'll just end up crash dieting and then gaining it all back later (and then some). Trust me - from personal experience, I can tell you that slow and steady and maintainable is much, much better than quick and dirty and gaining it all back. It only gets harder and harder to lose every time you try.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering. Is it ok to eat less than 1000 calories per day? If I'm trying to lose about 2 pounds a week, I have to subtract 1000 calories from my daily calorie needs. I calculated my daily calories needs and it says I need about 1600 calories. (I'm 4'11'' , 118 pounds) so if I subtract 1000 from that, I only should be eating about 600 calories? Im sorta confused because a lot of people say that it's bad to eat less than 1000 calories....Am I suppose to eat 600 calories to lose 2 pounds per week?

Don't do that. It's dumb. Either lose slower, or add exercise to burn calories.
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

One of the best moments on The Office/ best .gif ever.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    No.

:angry:
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    No.

:angry:

:flowerforyou:
  • origamixstarzz
    origamixstarzz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thnx a bunch everyone. Every time I lose weight I end up giving up in the end. I think it's because I always have unreasonable goals. I think now, I'll change my goal to about 1 pound per week.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you are already at a good weight, half a pound might be even better. You can do strength training if you want to get smaller and stronger and get to a lower BF%. It's not always about the number on the scale.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    MFP is not going to give you anything under 1200. It is designed that way. You can manually change your goals if you want... As someone else said, at your height and weight, expecting to lose 2 pounds per week (or even 1 pound per week) while still being healthy and then maintaining that loss might be less than realistic. I know people on here are crazy about eating back exercise calories, etc. but be careful with that at your height. I say this as someone who is just over 4'11...even an additional 100 calories a day can make a difference.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I depend on the method the other site uses to calculate your calories. MFP assumes that you will eat back some of your calories - other methods factor that into the process. You could split the difference, start at 1400 with no eat back and see how that works for you. To some degree, its trial and error and you'll find where your body needs to be with some patience.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Go right ahead. You'll wind up in the ICU or in the morgue, but that's your choice, right?
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight I'm guessing that 1600 cals is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) i.e what you would need to eat to stay the same weight you are now. To lose weight you would need to reduce from this but definitely not down to 600cals or even anywhere near that.

I'm afraid you will have to accept that you need to do it a little more slowly. Firstly you are little and therefore you just can't create huge deficits. Secondly you don't have much to lose so big deficits are bad for you and will lead to loss of lean body mass.

Because you are small you will probably manage ok on 1200 - 1300 cals per day which should see you losing around 1/2 lb per week. If you try to cut any further to increase your loss, not only are you likely to feel like c**p but 'in my personal experience' it just doesn't work. I'm 4' 11" and got down to around 800 cals per day, not sustainable, felt awful and didn't lose weight.

Also, increase exercise if you can, it will help you to keep your food intake up and whilst this may seem a bit daft...exercise more and then just eat more...it does mean you are less likely to feel hungry and therefore more likely to stick at it.

At 1/2lb a week, in a couple of months you should be really pleased with progress and if you decide you want to get 'lean' looking then try some lifting. I have and i'm just loving it!!.

So from one short chick to another just take it easy, give it time and you'll be fabulous!!