Is it ok to eat less than 1000 calories?

Options

Replies

• lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    You already only weigh 118 lbs and say you want to lose 20lbs.... that would have you at 98 lbs..... that is really really low - even for someone of your height.
    I agree. My sister is 4'11" and 98 lbs is a good weight for her size. Maybe 100-105 is a better weight for your height. Just sayin'...
  • leia_ophelia
    leia_ophelia Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am about her height 5 lbs and my normal weight is 95 lbs to 117 lbs (18.5-22.9 BMI) based than on the WHO study for Asian BMI. So for her height 98 lbs is kind of normal is she is Asian or has a small body frame.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You already only weigh 118 lbs and say you want to lose 20lbs.... that would have you at 98 lbs..... that is really really low - even for someone of your height.
    I agree. My sister is 4'11" and 98 lbs is a good weight for her size. Maybe 100-105 is a better weight for your height. Just sayin'...

After looking at the OP's profile I think they might want to talk to a counselor, just in case. The idea that she thinks she's flabby at 118lbs is worrisome. OP, you might be looking more towards body comp if you are at a higher body fat %.

In that case, I'd say you should focus more on weight training. You can look into NROLFW, Stronglifts, Wendler, or Starting Strength. If you don't have access to equipment, then Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym.

But definitely talk to someone about how you are perceiving yourself and your body. Getting fit and healthy isn't just a physical thing..it's a mental thing as well.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Seems like hardly any calories at all, but you are so small. Just eat when you're hungry and ensure your food is high quality, whole, and nutritionally dense food. No crap food. Quality calories in, so you're sure you're getting optimal nutrition.

Toddlers eat more than that. My four year old sister, who is basically a walking stick figure, had a serving of cream of wheat and a slice of toast with nutella for breakfast; that's 290 calories in her breakfast alone. 600 calories isn't enough for an adult, even if that adult is trying to lose weight.
  • annabunnell1
    annabunnell1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Okay...a lot of NO's which is correct, but not many are saying why! If you eat less than 1200 calories in a day your body believes that you are starving. So when your body thinks you are starving it drops your metabolism to conserve body fat that it may need to use to stay alive. Therefore, you will actually lose less weight at 600-1000 calories than if you ate 1200-1300 each day. If you want to make up for the additional calories exercise!! I suggest getting a fit bit and then the more you move the more calories you can eat or you will have as "under goal calories." Hard work and patience will keep it off. Speedy weight loss generally means you will quickly put it back on.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    It is almost never okay to eat less than 1000 calories. There are some great threads you can educate yourself on nutrition and healthy weight loss on this forum and I'll link you to a few of them:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Best of luck to you in your endeavor :flowerforyou:
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Go right ahead. You'll wind up in the ICU or in the morgue, but that's your choice, right?
    Good lord. Why so rude??
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    there is no reason to eat so few calories
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

After looking at the OP's profile I think they might want to talk to a counselor, just in case. The idea that she thinks she's flabby at 118lbs is worrisome. OP, you might be looking more towards body comp if you are at a higher body fat %.

In that case, I'd say you should focus more on weight training. You can look into NROLFW, Stronglifts, Wendler, or Starting Strength. If you don't have access to equipment, then Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym.

But definitely talk to someone about how you are perceiving yourself and your body. Getting fit and healthy isn't just a physical thing..it's a mental thing as well.

qft. Stop thinking weighing will automatically makes you better looking. The more muscle you have the more lean and tight your body will be. Fuel your body, weight train and get fit not skinny.
  • tanialuke
    tanialuke Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all. we learn that when we are two, well at least most people do.
    Go right ahead. You'll wind up in the ICU or in the morgue, but that's your choice, right?

You couldn't have said this in a less snarky way? The OP was simply asking a question. Maybe not everyone knows the same things that you do.

Public forum. If the person wishes to be snarky or that is just their personality....oh well.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to have a root canal without novacaine? Yes, i suppose.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all. we learn that when we are two, well at least most people do.

You couldn't have said this in a less snarky way? The OP was simply asking a question. Maybe not everyone knows the same things that you do.

Public forum. If the person wishes to be snarky or that is just their personality....oh well.

Posts a comment about how people shouldn't be rude but makes an insulting insinuation that those who might be a bit snarky or who are just rude are two year olds.

Seems legit.

anywho, hope the OP decides to follow the advice given and succeeds in her goals.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    Thnx a bunch everyone. Every time I lose weight I end up giving up in the end. I think it's because I always have unreasonable goals. I think now, I'll change my goal to about 1 pound per week.

Good job! You can do this! This site has helped me lose over 40 lbs and in a HEALTHY way. I follow the suggested cal goal and then exercise and eat most of the cals back. I keep losing and losing! Dont give up this time, you can do it, get lots of support and log in daily :)
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options

She may be what some call "skinny fat" or maybe she wants to change her diet and feel better. I found eating crap like I was didnt just keep me fat, it kept me sick. I know that even at my goal wt I will have to focus on composition as you referenced. I think its a common misnomer that being skinny is ideal, clearly its better to have tone and definition, but people dont pay much attention to that aspect I think.
  • origamixstarzz
    origamixstarzz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thnx for all the advice. It was rather unreasonable for me to want to lose two pounds a week. I think now I'll go slower and set a less extreme goal. Instead of twenty pounds maybe ten pounds for now. I'll try 1 pound a week and I wont go less than 1000 calories. I want to lose weight in a healthy way. So...wish me luck:smile:
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Thnx for all the advice. It was rather unreasonable for me to want to lose two pounds a week. I think now I'll go slower and set a less extreme goal. Instead of twenty pounds maybe ten pounds for now. I'll try 1 pound a week and I wont go less than 1000 calories. I want to lose weight in a healthy way. So...wish me luck:smile:

509aea630604f6ff74b077b94c9ae708-how-i-met-your-mother-high-five.gif
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Good lord. Why so rude??

Truth. Nothing rude about that at all. And I'm not the only one making similar statements on this thread.
  • dancaetano17
    dancaetano17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No, just subtract around 300 calories from your maintenance calories and eat that each day. Also if you burn 400 calories, don't eat it back...because that's how you lose the weight, if you eat it back you are just maintaining.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    No, just subtract around 300 calories from your maintenance calories and eat that each day. Also if you burn 400 calories, don't eat it back...because that's how you lose the weight, if you eat it back you are just maintaining.

Not true.
  • HealthFitNow
    HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    That is starvation mode for me. I found I gained weight, even though I wasn't eating as much. It's like the hormones shut off and your body doesn't burn the calories...only stores them.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Health is more important IMO. You're nearly there. Courage, mon ami.