Why would you not weight lift while losing weight?

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Just do light weight high reps don't worry about lifting heavy. Every one has different genetics.

I don't even know what this means.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    Personally, it is because I just plain do not have the time to lift weights. I don't have 2 hour blocks of time, 3 non-consecutive days each week. My schedule is way too tight with work and class. I intend to lift after I graduate with my current degree program, but I also hope to reach my goal weight by then.

45 mins 3x a week. Everyone has time for that.

That's not true. My sister goes to school full time and works full time and is constantly doing homework. She doesn't have time to workout, but she can control her diet and lose weight that way. When school lets out for the summer, she'll have more time on her hands, but during the school year, she does not have time to workout.

You can't say what someone has or doesn't have time for. My sister used to lift, but then she started grad school and her time for the gym has been dedicated to her education.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I don't weightlift (etc) for a number of reasons:
    - I'm not confident that I could do it on my own without injury. My husband works away for four weeks out of five, so I don't even have any moral support at home.
    - I don't have any weights gear at home, though I do have a multi-thingie machine, for what that's worth.
    - I'm not at all motivated to spend the money on joining a gym/getting a trainer just for something that I'm apprehensive about. I don't want someone to shout at me and make me hurt.
    - I downloaded the "you are your own gym app" only to discover that I need a sturdy table (nope, can't use my glass topped dining table), a towel over a doorknob (my house is pretty flimsy and I'm pretty heavy, I'm not confident I won't break something), sturdy chairs (see previous excuse) etc. They sell it as just bodyweight with no gear, but that's not actually the case.
    - I do some yoga workouts from time to time (at least that's a bit of body weight, right) but I have so much pain in my knees and wrists when I do it that I'm not motivated to keep going.

I'm aware these are probably pretty pathetic reasons, but they're real for me!
    I so much prefer running/walking/cycling to even body weight stuff or using the gym machine at home. The cardio lifts my mood and make me feel great, but weights stuff just doesn't do that for me.

I do think it would be a good idea though, so maybe I should just suck it up and start doing something in this area... maybe I need to set a reminder in my phone and start small with a bit of work on the machine and take it from there.

I'm mostly working on my diet and eating habits at this point, while getting back into running so I can enjoy some races I have coming up. It just seems too much to add in something else that I don't enjoy, unlike the running which makes me feel great.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just do light weight high reps don't worry about lifting heavy. Every one has different genetics.

People with hazel eyes can lift heavier! :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Personally, it is because I just plain do not have the time to lift weights. I don't have 2 hour blocks of time, 3 non-consecutive days each week. My schedule is way too tight with work and class. I intend to lift after I graduate with my current degree program, but I also hope to reach my goal weight by then.

Nope. I work a minimum of 50 hours a week - 10 hour days, 5 days a week, plus one or two Saturdays a month, as well. I see my children for about half an hour in the morning before I go to work; when I get home, I see my younger one for half an hour to an hour before he goes to bed; I get about two hours with my older ones before they go to bed. As soon as they're in bed, I work on my dissertation until I go to bed. Sundays I have church, some time with my kids, a nap if I'm lucky.... and my dissertation. On a good night, I get six hours of sleep; more often than not, I get five or less. Not only do I not have a spare 45 minutes, I do not have the half hour travel time to and from the gym; I have neither the space nor the resources to have weights at home; and again, no time. Waking up earlier than I do now would mean even less sleep, and I am at the point now where exhaustion is beginning to affect me physically - I cannot afford to lose more sleep; by the end of the day, not only do I not have the energy, but I also have my dissertation.

And that is why I don't lift weights.

Wow--this made me tired just reading it. YOU are definately excused from lifting! Hope life gets easier in the future. :'(
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My thing is my knees and ankle. I messed up my right knee and it never fully recovered, and I sprained my left ankle which never fully recovered. I can do day to day walking and jogs even, but one crazy lunge and I'm feeling it in a bad way. Which sucks because I know compound exercises are the best thing for fat loss.

I didn't try lifting (even using the machines) for 20 yrs for pretty much the same reasons (injuries). I walked into the gym one morning, grabbed a young trainer sitting there and said " I'm old enough to be your mother, I usually swim down below (you can see the pool from the weight room) but can't for a month, I have OA, can you show me some things I can do?" He was really nice, showed me a few machines, had me doing squats against the wall with a huge plasic ball against my back, showed me how to do some reps with hand weights, etc. I could see and feel the difference after 2 weeks, and my swiming buds commented on it too. I now fit it in and wish I hadn't waited 20 yrs because I was afraid. Try and do some light things. There are alot of people with injuries in the gym and a good instructor can steer you into doing whats right for you--ask.
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to just use the machines? I do half cardio and half machines when at the gym and sometimes some dumbell or kettlebell stuff.
    I am intimidated by the weights room as I haven't got a clue what I'm doing in there. Going to get a PT for a couple of sessions soon with a friend to get us a program though.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

People with hazel eyes can lift heavier! :)

I thought it might be something like that. I've heard genetics used to explain lots on this forum, but never to explain someone's desire, or lack thereof, to lift. "My mom didn't lift and my grandma didn't lift..."
  • BroScience83
    BroScience83 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    LIFT
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    There are very discouraging people around this site who say things like "you won't gain muscle in a calorie deficit."
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    So...is weight lifting and using resistance bands the same thing? Can't tell I'm new to this, can you?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I think most people losing weight don't know enough about the advantages of weight lifting. It took me a few years into my fitness journey before I started lifting and I just wish I had started sooner, I love the way it has shaped my body and given me great muscle tone as well as helping me have a higher TDEE because of added muscle mass - win win :smiley:
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Personally, for me at the tender age of 66, it was important to do both. Even at an advanced age strength training/weight lifting can really change your body and there are health benefits such as better bone density as well. I started right off doing both (cardio and weights) 2.5 years ago and wouldn't change a thing.

It can be intimidating but sometimes you just have to put yourself out there on the limb a little and do it!

It's like any other good habit, eventually you begin to love it, even though at first it's not particularly pleasant!

I hate running for the first five minutes but then something kicks in and I begin to feel good doing it. It can be the same with weight lifting.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    There are very discouraging people around this site who say things like "you won't gain muscle in a calorie deficit."

I don't see that as discouraging. Pretty much nobody says "don't bother lifting because..." It's to keep people's expectations of lifting in line and to squash the idea that someone who thinks they're in a deficit is gaining weight because of muscle gains.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    So...is weight lifting and using resistance bands the same thing? Can't tell I'm new to this, can you?

No weight lifting is a form of resistance training as is resistance bands but you get more from free weight lifting due to engaging lots of muscles esp doing compound lifts like Bench press or squats.

• SezxyStef
    Options

Nope. I work a minimum of 50 hours a week - 10 hour days, 5 days a week, plus one or two Saturdays a month, as well. I see my children for about half an hour in the morning before I go to work; when I get home, I see my younger one for half an hour to an hour before he goes to bed; I get about two hours with my older ones before they go to bed. As soon as they're in bed, I work on my dissertation until I go to bed. Sundays I have church, some time with my kids, a nap if I'm lucky.... and my dissertation. On a good night, I get six hours of sleep; more often than not, I get five or less. Not only do I not have a spare 45 minutes, I do not have the half hour travel time to and from the gym; I have neither the space nor the resources to have weights at home; and again, no time. Waking up earlier than I do now would mean even less sleep, and I am at the point now where exhaustion is beginning to affect me physically - I cannot afford to lose more sleep; by the end of the day, not only do I not have the energy, but I also have my dissertation.

And that is why I don't lift weights.

My program takes max 15mins but as you said resources and space too. There are programs for body weight if you are ever interested.
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    And then, there's the cost. I don't know about you, but around me a gym membership is expensive.

This. I am way too cheap to pay for a gym membership and then a PT on top of that to teach me the proper form.

I do it at home...plates are about 1$ a lb even 2nd hand but the other stuff can be found 2nd hand cheap if you have the space.

you don't unless you are obese, new to lifting or a teenage boy...and those gains are small.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I do lift...can you tell?

I didn't at first I did body weight stuff then remembered how much I loved being strong (former military and weight lifter)

So I found a good program I could do at home SL 5x5 and started on my 3rd month here...wish I had started on day 1.

Some don't lift for a gammit of reasons...don't like it, don't want, don't know how, fall for the BS of women get bulky etc.

It doesn't matter why it is a choice they make as adults.

But what I hate to see is people making excuses for not lifting...just say it...I don't want to no harm no foul.

I make time for it because it's important. I still work full time, take care of my home, family, husband friends other family and have other hobbies like gardening making pickles, crocheting online games etc.

you set your priorities and if you feel other things are more important than have at...like I said no harm no foul.

but to the parents here...if you don't take care of yourself and your health and it is not good who will take care of your family after that? It's not selfish to take time for yourself before you take time for kids or house work or even church.
  • raishiwi
    raishiwi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It makes sense for someone who didn't lift ever before especially if your weight loss journey is going to take over a year. You aren't going to gain or retain muscle in that period of time. But someone who can lose it in under 6 months, should for sure at least do body weight and at the very least learn how to lift before you can do it hard.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options

I don't see that as discouraging. Pretty much nobody says "don't bother lifting because..." It's to keep people's expectations of lifting in line and to squash the idea that someone who thinks they're in a deficit is gaining weight because of muscle gains.

I DO see it as discouraging. We lift to build muscle, right? If someone is telling me that I can't build muscle while I'm at a calorie deficit, it makes me think that I might as well skip the weight lifting until I'm at maintenance calories.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    edited April 2016
    Options

I DO see it as discouraging. We lift to build muscle, right? If someone is telling me that I can't build muscle while I'm at a calorie deficit, it makes me think that I might as well skip the weight lifting until I'm at maintenance calories.

Then you aren't getting the right message, or someone didn't deliver it properly. The APRN who did my physical pushed resistance training on me because of its effects on bone density. People on MFP post a hundred times a day that it's important to maintain and improve strength (not the same as building muscle, fyi) and to reduce the amount of lean muscle lost.