Why would you not weight lift while losing weight?

Options

Replies

• RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    catsdogsh wrote: »
    I saw a few posts from people trying to lose a lot of weight. They are cutting calories and doing cardio and purposely not weight training. They plan to weight lift after the weight is off. Both my trainer and nutritionist say that's incorrect way to go. We should do weights and cardio the whole time. Any ideas what's correct?
    I think it's nuts not to to strength training....and I know guys who lift weight but perform zero cardio, and to me that's just as nuts.

People's goals are different, and my hard-wiring is programmed to seek full potential in everything, but others are contented with less. To become the fittest version of ourselves, proper diet coupled with hard, smart training - both cardio and resistance - is mandatory.

If you compromise this reality, you compromise your full fitness potential.
    It's just that simple, but again, not every individual wants to strive for that ideal. To each his own...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There are very discouraging people around this site who say things like "you won't gain muscle in a calorie deficit."

I don't see that as discouraging. Pretty much nobody says "don't bother lifting because..." It's to keep people's expectations of lifting in line and to squash the idea that someone who thinks they're in a deficit is gaining weight because of muscle gains.

I DO see it as discouraging. We lift to build muscle, right? If someone is telling me that I can't build muscle while I'm at a calorie deficit, it makes me think that I might as well skip the weight lifting until I'm at maintenance calories.

@2snakeswoman No I lift to retain as much muscle as I can while losing the weight. It is easier to keep muscle than have to rebuild it.

I lift now to get stronger. To gain muscle you need to eat at a surplus of maintenance and do a progressive load lifting program.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There are very discouraging people around this site who say things like "you won't gain muscle in a calorie deficit."

I don't see that as discouraging. Pretty much nobody says "don't bother lifting because..." It's to keep people's expectations of lifting in line and to squash the idea that someone who thinks they're in a deficit is gaining weight because of muscle gains.

I DO see it as discouraging. We lift to build muscle, right? If someone is telling me that I can't build muscle while I'm at a calorie deficit, it makes me think that I might as well skip the weight lifting until I'm at maintenance calories.

Some lift to build strength, not just muscle. Plenty of strength can be built while on a deficit.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Resistance training or weight lifting specifically (which is a subset of resistance training)?

I think some form of resistance training is a good idea but does it need to incorporate barbells, plates, collars or dumbbells? Well no.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    Personally, it is because I just plain do not have the time to lift weights. I don't have 2 hour blocks of time, 3 non-consecutive days each week. My schedule is way too tight with work and class. I intend to lift after I graduate with my current degree program, but I also hope to reach my goal weight by then.

45 mins 3x a week. Everyone has time for that.

Nope, because I also must drive 1 hr. round trip to get to the gym and back. I live in a rural area. If you knew my schedule, you might understand. I'm not going to argue with you, just adding my reason.

ETA: I work FT (and it is a busy time of year right now), I'm a FT grad student, and I am politically active (I am a party official). I intend to start lifting after graduating (Oct.) and after the election (Nov.).

When fitness becomes a priority, suddenly we have time.
    The last guy I knew personally who did not have time watched 3 hours of TV every night while he played games on the computer. If something becomes important, you make the time.
    It takes 90 seconds to knock out a set of push ups once every day...and an additional 2 minutes to perform sit ups.
    5 minutes of jumping jacks and 2 more minutes of curling a chair in your office.
    I've done all these things when my time was limited. Why?
    Fitness is a priority.
    csck9h9xsyu1.jpg
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Personally, it is because I just plain do not have the time to lift weights. I don't have 2 hour blocks of time, 3 non-consecutive days each week. My schedule is way too tight with work and class. I intend to lift after I graduate with my current degree program, but I also hope to reach my goal weight by then.

Nope, because I also must drive 1 hr. round trip to get to the gym and back. I live in a rural area. If you knew my schedule, you might understand. I'm not going to argue with you, just adding my reason.

ETA: I work FT (and it is a busy time of year right now), I'm a FT grad student, and I am politically active (I am a party official). I intend to start lifting after graduating (Oct.) and after the election (Nov.).

The last guy I knew personally who did not have time watched 3 hours of TV every night while he played games on the computer. If something becomes important, you make the time.
    It takes 90 seconds to knock out a set of push ups once every day...and an additional 2 minutes to perform sit ups.
    5 minutes of jumping jacks and 2 more minutes of curling a chair in your office.
    Fitness is a priority.
    csck9h9xsyu1.jpg

totally agree with this.

My weight lifting routine (4 big lifts every week) takes 15mins max. If I add in accessories another 15mins...

Yesterday I did 3 sets of 8 reps on my DL at 155lbs...took a 2min rest between sets cause you know wiped...bam done....and I feel it today...a whole 12 mins and 32 secs which included rests...it well within the time I have to spare...now cardio that takes some time...

30min runs, 45-60 min walks, 60 min bike rides...there is some devotion to fitness.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    RWClary wrote: »

Fitness is a priority.
    csck9h9xsyu1.jpg

Sure, but that isn't what we are talking about. The question was lifting weights, and I don't have time to do that, partly because of where said weights are located. I didn't say I don't have 5 min. to do push-ups, but push-ups are not weights.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Fitness is a priority.
    csck9h9xsyu1.jpg

Sure, but that isn't what we are talking about. The question was lifting weights, and I don't have time to do that, partly because of where said weights are located. I didn't say I don't have 5 min. to do push-ups, but push-ups are not weights.

but it is another form of resistance training...body weight training can be very effective "weight training" routine...that is all my son does is body weight and he is very very strong....has gone from 1 chin up to 7 in a matter of months.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Fitness is a priority.
    csck9h9xsyu1.jpg

but it is another form of resistance training...body weight training can be very effective "weight training" routine...that is all my son does is body weight and he is very very strong....has gone from 1 chin up to 7 in a matter of months.

So you are saying I have time to go to the gym and lift weights 3 times weekly? If yes, then where exactly in my schedule do you see 2 hour blocks on 3 non-consecutive days? If not, then my original point remains.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I lift to get stronger, retain muscle, and look good. Not lifting means not getting stronger, losing muscle, and not looking as good as I can. My weight loss journey started two years ago. There's no way I would have planned on purpose to wait two years to get stronger, have to rebuild what I could have easily kept, and in the meantime not looked as good. To each his/her own but it doesn't make sense to me to dig myself into a deeper hole that I know I'm going to have to crawl back out of when I have the option not to do that.
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've been in the "don't want to" and "don't have time" group. I don't watch any TV or get on the computer while at home except to log recipes and meals on MFP. I don't have a social life because I don't have the free time. And for those who say I have to take time for me before I take care of my two special-needs children, that is easy if you have child care available, but I work days and my husband works midnights and there isn't money in the budget for babysitters. I can't pare out a solid 45 minutes or an hour for "me" without giving up more sleep. Several people said, where are my priorities? Sleep comes before fitness, because I've lived for years sleep deprived and it makes me weak and stressed physically, emotionally, and mentally. In that case, my job is at risk and I can't take care of my children and I'm a miserable witch. I'm not going back there.

However, I've discovered that I can find 5-15 minutes a couple of times per day. I used to say I didn't have 10 minutes free to myself in the course of a day, but I found that I CAN get 10 minutes if I really want it. That is how I now get my walking in... 10 minutes at at time, mostly at work. Is that enough to be called "cardio"? Probably not, but if I'm getting 10-11,000 steps a day in 10 minute increments, that is a lot better than sitting for those 10 minute periods because at least I'm moving.

Now I'm ready to take that same approach to strength training. Some, even in just a few minutes, has to be better than none. @SezxyStef or anyone else, if you can tell me what I can do with as little equipment as possible (ideally none so I could do it at work) in 5-10 minutes (a maximum of 15 minutes) at a time, I'll try it. I'm thinking maybe one exercise each time I can grab 10 minutes? I understand that like my walking, it would probably be better for me to do more but I've got to start with what I can manage right now. I want something that will improve my health and gradually improve my appearance, and any improvement is welcome. I don't expect fabulous changes quickly.

Yesterday I checked out a book from the library on bodyweight exercises trying to find something I could do in my cubicle in 5 minutes or less, hoping I could squeeze in some exercise while at work. I've learned to read while I walk, so I'll try to glean some wisdom during this week's walks. :smile:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

Fitness is a priority.
    csck9h9xsyu1.jpg

So you are saying I have time to go to the gym and lift weights 3 times weekly? If yes, then where exactly in my schedule do you see 2 hour blocks on 3 non-consecutive days? If not, then my original point remains.

She is saying you have time to do bodyweight exercises at home. When you do pushups, you ARE lifting weight - your bodyweight.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Another reason to lift is to preserve muscle that would otherwise be lost while losing weight. It's easier to preserve muscle than to add it later.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Fitness is a priority.
    csck9h9xsyu1.jpg

I am saying if it's a priority you make the time.

I don't lift at a gym...I lift at home. I made it a priority and set aside the space and funds to get setup (and it is a cheap setup) but effective.

and why is it 2 hours? I lift for max 15mins a day 4x a week....I can bench my body weight, dead lift 235lbs and squat 210...OHP 100lbs...as a woman those are good numbers...no one has ever said you have to spend hours in the gym to reap the benefits of resistance training...

Or the alternative

Body weight resistance in your home which can take as much time as you want...as mentioned my son does that in his apartment...massive strength gains going on.

but hey if you don't want to block out 15 or 20 mins a day to get stronger don't...your loss.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I've been in the "don't want to" and "don't have time" group. I can't pare out a solid 45 minutes or an hour for "me" without giving up more sleep. As several people said, where are my priorities? Sleep comes before fitness, because I've lived for years sleep deprived and it makes me weak and stressed physically, emotionally, and mentally.

However, I've discovered that I can find 5-15 minutes a couple of times per day. I used to say I didn't have 10 minutes free to myself in the course of a day, but I found that I CAN get 10 minutes if I really want it. That is how I now get my walking in... 10 minutes at at time. Is that enough to be called "cardio"? Probably not, but if I'm getting 10-11,000 steps a day in 10 minute increments, that is a lot better than sitting for those 10 minute periods because at least I'm moving.

Now I'm ready to take that same approach to strength training. Some, even in just a few minutes, has to be better than none. @SezxyStef or anyone else, if you can tell me what I can do with as little equipment as possible (ideally none so I could do it at work) in 5-10 minutes (a maximum of 15 minutes) at a time, I'll try it. I'm thinking maybe one exercise each time I can grab 10 minutes? I understand that like my walking, it would probably be better for me to do more but I've got to start with what I can manage right now. I want something that will improve my health and gradually improve my appearance, and any improvement is welcome. I don't expect fabulous changes quickly.

Yesterday I checked out a book from the library on bodyweight exercises trying to find something I could do in my cubicle in 5 minutes or less, hoping I could squeeze in some exercise while at work. I've learned to read while I walk, so I'll try to glean some wisdom during this week's walks. :smile:

Google I am my own gym, ice cream fitness or convict conditioning.

Or set aside time to do push ups and chin ups lunges etc. Even with smaller hand weights.

My chin up bar is a big dowel screwed into the rafters of my basement with big rings...(Im cheap)

fitnessblender.com has a great set of "strength training" routines that require no equipment

You can buy inexpensive chinup bars that go in door frames at walmart or small handweights or kettle balls to add more resistance when they get to easy bands even.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Some lift to build strength, not just muscle. Plenty of strength can be built while on a deficit.

Yes, I decided to start lifting to help retain muscle (if you are obese you likely have a good amount of muscle for someone at your goal weight, after all), and even more because I wanted to be stronger. I didn't gain muscle while losing, but I did gain lots of strength and a fun (for me) hobby.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My reason was a time reason, coupled with prioritization.

My time was limited to about 1 hour a day. My priority put weight loss first, over retention of muscle mass. Now, that I've met goal weight, I can re-prioritize, in addition to adding time to my exercise plan, which allows me to do both.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It Could also be a health thing. For me, when my diet isn't prefect I get arthritis that makes lifting painful. Others might have underlying weight related conditions in similar vein that require them to lose some weight or heal first before they're able to do much in the way of resistance training.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Probably not many people are thinking about old age, but I am, as my OH's mother is currently in rehab because she falls when she tries to go to the bathroom at night. She has very little strength in her legs. This MFP blog post came in my inbox this AM:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/whats-important-weight-loss-counting-calories-exercise/

...2. Building strength

Strength training is the best form of exercise you can do, no matter your age or whether you are trying to lose weight. I know that not everyone loves the weight room. But the return on investment — denser bones, stronger ligaments and tendons, better posture and, most importantly in this context, more muscle to burn calorie — is incredible.

Your strength has a direct effect on how you interact with your environment. The stronger you are, the easier daily tasks become, such as climbing the stairs, carrying a full laundry basket and raking leaves. Strength train for the future: Preserving muscle for your 50s and beyond will help delay the need for assistance with everyday activities. Did you know that many people who have to check in to assisted living homes do so because they are unable to get off the toilet, open a door or dress themselves? Muscle is what keeps us moving, and it needs to be fed a steady diet of weight training. An optimal, efficient way to strength train: Complete compound exercises like squats, shoulder presses and deadlifts two to three days a week.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    My reason was a time reason, coupled with prioritization.

My time was limited to about 1 hour a day. My priority put weight loss first, over retention of muscle mass. Now, that I've met goal weight, I can re-prioritize, in addition to adding time to my exercise plan, which allows me to do both.

which is your choice...my thing is and always has been this...it is easier to maintain the muscle I have then have to rebuild it later....which is a lot of time and dedication which imho is not worth it if I can maintain it in the first place.