Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Well, if you are looking to lose weight you need to be in a caloric deficit and if you looking to gain muscle you need to begin a strength training routine that focuses on the lower half of your body. You can use MyFitnessPal's calorie calculator to determine how calories you need to lose weight. Since you are 4'11", a 500 calorie deficit is the most you should be in.

If you want to cut fat, you need to be in a deficit. If you want to add muscle, you need to be in a surplus. Strength training in a cut will not likely yield muscle gains, and if you do some gains, it will be very minor. Trying to gain muscle in a deficit is very difficult, regardless of what you eat.

OP, how much do you weigh? Do you know your body fat %? Do you follow a structured lifting program?

You'll still benefit from starting a strength routine though, even in a deficit. In addition to preserving muscle mass, you can focus on form and building up strength. Then you can re-evaluate and see if you want to change your calorie intake in order to gain muscle.

I know that. But that isn't what the OP wants.

I guess I needed to be specific in that I was addressing the OP & building off your post, not contradicting it. Sheesh.

OP wants to lose weight and build muscle. But she said she didn't know where to begin. You explained that its difficult to do both at the same time. So I went on to add that it's a good idea to begin a strength program anyway, even if she continues to eat at a deficit. She can still increase her lifts during this time, and when she reaches a point where she's throwing around a decent amount of weight can decide if she's ready to switch to a surplus.

No need to get upset. It was based the way you quoted.
  • tamarbatavraham
    tamarbatavraham Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Afranco, I don't have specific advice, just general anecdotal encouragement, because I find myself similarly overwhelmed by the plethora of advice out there.
    I started with similar goals (though more upper body focused) middle of last year. I started rock climbing in October and that made a huge difference for me. I just can't make myself go to a gym and count to 10 over and over :tongue: so having something that actually engages my brain is great. I've since hit my weight loss goal and gotten stronger and am now putting more focus on building muscle (as my arms and back keep reminding me this rest day after some serious campus board work :bawling: )

Yes, some of this is just because I wasn't amazingly in shape before, but it's also largely because I found something that works for me and keeps me interested and motivated. You can research all the awesome lifting programs or whatever you want, but if it won't keep your interest, it won't work, because you just won't do it. Find the right way for you, though, and you can totally do it!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    You are right around the same height as me! Short girls unite! My goal when I started watching my calories and working out was right about the same as yours. I'm assuming that you are in a moderate weight category for your height - 100 to 120 lbs. If you are, please take my advice. For years (literally years) I ate 1,200 calories x day, did large amounts of cardio and was never satisfied. I got skinny, but never in the areas that I wanted. In October, I upped my calories to "maintenance" (1,400 x day) and starting heavy lifting. On leg days, I allowed myself to eat back exercise calories. Let me tell you, I have never been more pleased with results. I am overall toned and muscular now, and never gained "fat" or got "bulky." I suggest getting a trainer for the first few visits so that you ensure you're practicing with proper form, but don't be afraid to lift heavy. Your waist will get smaller, your legs and glutes will get bigger, it's all with proper training and nutrition. Something else that helped me immensly was upping my protein (I aim for my body weight in protein; 110 grams x day) and decreasing my sugar (my max is typically 40 grams x day). This makes sure you are "feeding" your muscles and they have optimal growth. Besides that, just cutting calories and doing cardio will not result in any muscle growth. You may have "newbie gains" but strength, nor extreme definition will come from it. All "fit girls" that you see eat very nutritional food, and lots of it, but kick *kitten* in the gym. Lift heavy. Go hard. Give it your all and you'll have success.
  • dbhuff369
    dbhuff369 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Totally agree of heavy lifting. Check out http://www.muscleforlife.com/skinny-fat-solution/ and other articles. Heavy lifting, proper calorie count and macros.
  • tamarbatavraham
    tamarbatavraham Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when I started actually tracking what I was eating, I realized I wasn't even really eating enough protein on a regular basis for someone NOT trying to build muscle. I haven't gone low carb or anything, but watching my macros and increasing my protein has certainly helped!

Tiny people unite! (5'0" and 115, hoping to get up to 120-125 with muscle gain)