Help me gain muscle

Options
afranco999
afranco999 Posts: 8 Member
Hi I'm a tiny girl 4"11 trying to loose fat on my waistline nd gain muscle on my lower half and tone up my legs and buttocks. I just don't have a clue how to start or where to begin. Help me :/

Replies

• anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Well, if you are looking to lose weight you need to be in a caloric deficit and if you are looking to gain muscle you need to begin a strength training routine that focuses on the lower half of your body. You can use MyFitnessPal's calorie calculator to determine how calories you need to lose weight. Since you are 4'11", a 500 calorie deficit is the most you should be in.
  • afranco999
    Options
    Thank you. I forgot to say I want to loose fat on my waistline. Thanks for your help
  • anthony150paolucci
    Options
    Well it's impossible to spot reduce fat. As you lose weight, fat will decrease all over your body, but strength training can help tone certain areas.
  • afranco999
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ok I see thanks. Now I'm scared of loosing to much weight
  • d_nadal
    d_nadal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy, and do a hundred squats 4 times a week with no weight. I guarantee this will work as it did for me. After you get better at doing more reps bump it up to 150 and keep going
  • d_nadal
    d_nadal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This dude Anthony that posted looks like. A 115 pound female so disregard his input please
  • anthony150paolucci
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I just wanted to add one more thing, I said a 500 calorie deficit is the most you should be in. I meant 500 is the most you should be in calorie consumption wise since you are a 4'11" female. You can create a larger deficit through exercise depending on how much you need to lose.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well, if you are looking to lose weight you need to be in a caloric deficit and if you looking to gain muscle you need to begin a strength training routine that focuses on the lower half of your body. You can use MyFitnessPal's calorie calculator to determine how calories you need to lose weight. Since you are 4'11", a 500 calorie deficit is the most you should be in.

If you want to cut fat, you need to be in a deficit. If you want to add muscle, you need to be in a surplus. Strength training in a cut will not likely yield muscle gains, and if you do some gains, it will be very minor. Trying to gain muscle in a deficit is very difficult, regardless of what you eat.

OP, how much do you weigh? Do you know your body fat %? Do you follow a structured lifting program?
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Well, doing a crap load of squats (no weight) is going to help you slim down but it's not likely to help you build muscle. The best way to put on muscle is to add a weight program. You can do body weight exercises to start but you need to do progressive overload to really force muscle growth. Use a program like 5X5 as a starting point. I wouldn't suggest only training your lower half because you don't want an imbalance.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Well, if you are looking to lose weight you need to be in a caloric deficit and if you looking to gain muscle you need to begin a strength training routine that focuses on the lower half of your body. You can use MyFitnessPal's calorie calculator to determine how calories you need to lose weight. Since you are 4'11", a 500 calorie deficit is the most you should be in.

If you want to cut fat, you need to be in a deficit. If you want to add muscle, you need to be in a surplus. Strength training in a cut will not likely yield muscle gains, and if you do some gains, it will be very minor. Trying to gain muscle in a deficit is very difficult, regardless of what you eat.

OP, how much do you weigh? Do you know your body fat %? Do you follow a structured lifting program?

You'll still benefit from starting a strength routine though, even in a deficit. In addition to preserving muscle mass, you can focus on form and building up strength. Then you can re-evaluate and see if you want to change your calorie intake in order to gain muscle.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    OK you have a lot of conflicting advice here, so let me clear some of it up.

Your goal is to lose fat on your belly, and gain muscle on your legs and butt. This needs to be tackled through training and diet.

1- Training. I suggest you look up the program Strong Curves. It is meant for women's resistance/strength training with a focus on your butt and legs. It is very highly regarded, look it up (and if you approve, buy the book). Knowing why you do something helps you stay with it (instead of listening to random people on the internet). Bret Contreas is known to be the go-to-guy for Glute Development.

2 - Diet. Go on Google and calculate your TDEE. This is how many calories you spend in a day, and you eat that amount to maintain weight. You have a choice. Eat at a deficit (-10% to -20% of that) to lose fat, or eat at a surplus (+10% to +20% your TDEE) while on a resistance/strength program to build muscle with a little fat.
    If you choose to go on a deficit first, you will be losing fat and make slow progression with muscle gain (but you WILL make progression, especially since you are a novice in weight training). If you choose a caloric surplus, you won't lose your stomach fat but you will have bootylicious gains.

I recommend that you cycle between deficit and surplus. You build muscle on a surplus (with minimal fat if your diet is on point), then you go on a deficit while lifting to lose the fat and reveal your hard earned muscles.

Lastly, you CAN make gains on a deficit, so feel free to choose a deficit first while lifting. People over-emphasise the muscle loss on a deficit; as long as you eat enough protein and keep lifting, you will be fine. You might get tired more quickly (you body basically has less 'fuel' to work with), so go easy the first 2 weeks.

If you are worried about gaining too much weight on your bulk/surplus, you can do a "slow bulk" which is only +10% over your TDEE, and a more aggressive deficit/cut (-15% to -20% TDEE). Note that it takes -3500calories to lose 1 lb, so if you went on a deficit of 500 calories daily, you would lose an average of 1 lb a week (though this is much easier for a 200lb person vs a 120lb person, so don't go too crazy on this).

Let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers.

Edit: Forgot to mention when you choose to go on a deficit/cut, do so for a couple of months. Same for bulk/surplus.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »

You'll still benefit from starting a strength routine though, even in a deficit. In addition to preserving muscle mass, you can focus on form and building up strength. Then you can re-evaluate and see if you want to change your calorie intake in order to gain muscle.

I know that. But that isn't what the OP wants.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Your goal is to lose fat on your belly, and gain muscle on your legs and butt. This needs to be tackled through training and diet.

1- Training. I suggest you look up the program Strong Curves. It is meant for women's resistance/strength training with a focus on your butt and legs. It is very highly regarded, look it up (and if you approve, buy the book). Knowing why you do something helps you stay with it (instead of listening to random people on the internet). Bret Contreas is known to be the go-to-guy for Glute Development.

2 - Diet. Go on Google and calculate your TDEE. This is how many calories you spend in a day, and you eat that amount to maintain weight. You have a choice. Eat at a deficit (-10% to -20% of that) to lose fat, or eat at a surplus (+10% to +20% your TDEE) while on a resistance/strength program to build muscle with a little fat.
    If you choose to go on a deficit first, you will be losing fat and make slow progression with muscle gain (but you WILL make progression, especially since you are a novice in weight training). If you choose a caloric surplus, you won't lose your stomach fat but you will have bootylicious gains.

I recommend that you cycle between deficit and surplus. You build muscle on a surplus (with minimal fat if your diet is on point), then you go on a deficit while lifting to lose the fat and reveal your hard earned muscles.

Lastly, you CAN make gains on a deficit, so feel free to choose a deficit first while lifting. People over-emphasise the muscle loss on a deficit; as long as you eat enough protein and keep lifting, you will be fine. You might get tired more quickly (you body basically has less 'fuel' to work with), so go easy the first 2 weeks.

Can you expand on the cycling? I have seen this recommended a few times, but mainly cycle to have more calories on lifting days to maximize availability of energy.
  • Hiro_Protagonist
    Hiro_Protagonist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    d_nadal wrote: »
    This dude Anthony that posted looks like. A 115 pound female so disregard his input please

Seriously? You are going to make judgement calls off of someone's profile pic.

Instead I am going to go off of what you have said...
    d_nadal wrote: »
    Eat healthy, and do a hundred squats 4 times a week with no weight. I guarantee this will work as it did for me. After you get better at doing more reps bump it up to 150 and keep going

Well first off you were not specific about your goals and results as they do pertain to the OP.
    Did you lose stomach fat or reduce your waist line? If so are you implying that you also gained muscle whilst losing weight? Beyond newbie gains this is considered virtually impossible for most of the population as you can either be in a catabolic state or an anabolic state but rarely both. Potential rates of muscle gain are never going to approach the potential rate of fat loss once folks are past the beginner stage. It’s generally always easier to lose fat much faster than you can gain muscle. (read the link below). Maybe you thought you looked more muscular because of increased definition and fluid retention in your muscles. Also the person you criticized is correct about there is no such thing as spot reduction.

Lastly your advice about rep range would effectively contribute to a calorie deficit but minimal gains in hypertrophy as the range you are advising "hundred squats 4 times a week" would fall into what is considered the endurance range of reps.

Concerning spot reduction...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/827838/how-to-blast-that-fat-from-a-specific-area

Concerning adding Muscle While Losing Fat...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

Concerning rep range...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/850719/strength-training-the-basics

Lastly dude learn some tact. Seriously do you even adult?

OP for some solid information just go to this link below and leave the Broscience alone.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read#latest

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Can you expand on the cycling? I have seen this recommended a few times, but mainly cycle to have more calories on lifting days to maximize availability of energy.

Sure, I wasn't too clear on that. I suggest that do a cycle of cutting weight until you hit the desired leanness (usually takes a couple of months) then bulk with more intense lifting for a couple more months.

Our bodies can build muscle very well on a bulk, so it is recommended to make your gains during those couple of months. The joke amongst bodybuilders is "cut till you see abs, bulk till you hate yourself".

I think you are thinking about carb cycling, which is just to have a majority of your daily carbohydrates in your pre and post work out meals, as this provides very accessible energy for pushing yourself. This is beyond the OP and I didn't want to confuse her with too much detail. Lifting consistently and eating in a surplus or deficit is the most important thing for her right now.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Sure, I wasn't too clear on that. I suggest that do a cycle of cutting weight until you hit the desired leanness (usually takes a couple of months) then bulk with more intense lifting for a couple more months.

Our bodies can build muscle very well on a bulk, so it is recommended to make your gains during those couple of months. The joke amongst bodybuilders is "cut till you see abs, bulk till you hate yourself".

I think you are thinking about carb cycling, which is just to have a majority of your daily carbohydrates in your pre and post work out meals, as this provides very accessible energy for pushing yourself. This is beyond the OP and I didn't want to confuse her with too much detail. Lifting consistently and eating in a surplus or deficit is the most important thing for her right now.

oh ok. I have actually seen people suggest a calorie cycle. For example, I maintain at 3000 calories. So they would recommend 3300 calories on lifting days (bulking calories) and 2500 or less on non lifting days (deficit on non lifting days).
  • afranco999
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks to everybody. Now I have to search up all these definitions such as calorie deficit and surplus etc. Not familiar with any of this terminology. Thanks so much!
  • Hiro_Protagonist
    Hiro_Protagonist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    afranco999 wrote: »
    Thanks to everybody now I have to search up all these definitions such as calorie deficit and surplus etc. Not familiar with any of this terminology. Thank so much!

These links will sort you out for most of your needs...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read#latest

• psuLemon
    edited April 2016
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

This will be helpful, too, when looking for a program. But I would either suggest NROL4W or StrongCurves.

In the end, do you want to gain muscle and then cut down to reveal it? Or do you want to lean first and then add mass.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »

I know that. But that isn't what the OP wants.

I guess I needed to be specific in that I was addressing the OP & building off your post, not contradicting it. Sheesh.

OP wants to lose weight and build muscle. But she said she didn't know where to begin. You explained that its difficult to do both at the same time. So I went on to add that it's a good idea to begin a strength program anyway, even if she continues to eat at a deficit. She can still increase her lifts during this time, and when she reaches a point where she's throwing around a decent amount of weight can decide if she's ready to switch to a surplus.