Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Psyllium husk- Count carbs and calories or not?

Options
2»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I vote for counting the calories, because the end products of bacterial fermentation provide you with energy, and not counting the carbs, because the end products of bacterial fermentation are short chain fatty acids.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't count it because I only briefly rent it
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    I don't count it because I only briefly rent it

Haha Noice :smiley:

I'm still logging it. 27 calories isn't going to make or break me. I was more interested in the reasoning of why a lot of people don't count it, thanks @lithezebra :smile:
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I consume whole husk and count the calories.

I had a friend tell me I don't need to count it because its insoluble fiber and doesn't digest.

Good info and good thread.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    When I'm in a deficit I log everything that has calories. While the life saver wint-o-green mints may only have 15 cals, back before my caloric awareness I would probably eat 10-20 of these at work.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I have 15g psyllium husk powder everyday, which I log. An overwhelming amount of google searching says don't bother counting the calories or carbs as it passes straight through you undigested. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this.. What say you all?

If you are exercising, and eating under your TDEE then I wouldn't worry about logging 50 calories.
    If you are eating 100 - 200 calories worth of Fiber, then I would count them.