Ultradistance Cycling?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Got a decent training ride in yesterday ... :)

Distance: 164.9km
    Moving Time: 8:54:36
    Total time: 10:17:33
    Elevation Gain: 1,767m

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Machka9
  • daweasel
    daweasel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    weather in Melbourne this weekend was amazing!!
  • Machka9
    Options
    daweasel wrote: »
    weather in Melbourne this weekend was amazing!!

It was beautiful down here in Tassie too ... just a bit on the windy side, but almost like spring. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    I have to rehab my leg which I injured a few weeks back before doing any really long rides. Pre-injury several hours riding was not a problem. Post injury even 1 hour is pushing it if I go at any significant speed. I can't wait to get back to what it was like before.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I have to rehab my leg which I injured a few weeks back before doing any really long rides. Pre-injury several hours riding was not a problem. Post injury even 1 hour is pushing it if I go at any significant speed. I can't wait to get back to what it was like before.

I've been there. I hope you heal quickly.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Another weekend ... another training ride ...

Saturday we cycled 100.2 km on Bruny Island. We drove out to Kettering, caught an early ferry and spent the day on the island.

First we cycled out to Adventure Bay, and we stopped along the way for a few photos. In Adventure Bay we had an excellent lunch ... panini sandwiches and a large slice of carrot cake. Then we cycled to Alonnah, and on our way, we stopped and bought some fudge. And then we cycled back to the ferry again.

The day was fairly relaxed with a goal of covering 100 km without stress, and testing a few things.

One of the things I was testing was my new helmet. My previous helmet just hasn't been quite right, especially with a thick headband under it. It was either strangling me or blocking my vision and I was finishing rides with a really stiff neck and shoulders. Today I rode with my new helmet, and it was good! Hardly noticed it was there and my neck and shoulders feel normal. :)

Rowan was testing narrower handlebars, which seemed to pass the test.

I was testing a raised saddle height because it seems I've done something to my right knee which might be related to my new boots. Raising the saddle height does seem to be better, but it might need to come up a little bit more.

And we were testing Bushells Coffee and Chicory Essence. We mixed up a bottle with Ensure and a decent amount of Bushells Coffee and Chicory Essence which contains 66 mg of caffeine for every 20 ml (2 tablespoons). Well ... it tasted good and I (who drank most of it) felt awake and energetic by the end of the ride! :D

It was about 10°C on the ferry going over ... and cooled to about 8°C at one point along the way out. But it did warm again to near 10°C in the middle of the ride. With the bright sunshine, which made a rare and welcome appearance, it felt quite a bit warmer than that. Toward the end of the day, it dropped to about 6°C ... and that's when my feet started getting cold again. I need to solve that problem soon!

Overall, it was a really good ride ... first one in this recent batch of training where I've felt really comfortable on the bicycle, like I could keep riding.

Distance: 100.2 km
    Elevation: 1154 metres (3786 feet)
    Moving Time: 5:38:49
    Elapsed Time: 7:16:34

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157668975966700

28366627160_b1f15d2224_c.jpg

28562388292_59fe387fa0_c.jpg

28636718986_b15090558c_c.jpg
  • RRRobison71
    RRRobison71 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    narak_lol wrote: »
    Oh btw I love your photos @Machka9 ! Beautiful day with nice open roads (didn't see the glass so this didn't happen B) ). Are those Brooks saddles?

Thanks! :)

And yes ... Brooks saddles. I have them on all my bicycles. :grin:

Great saddles.
  • Machka9
    Options
    400K randonnee complete!! 408 km in total, cycled in 24 hours 45 min.

First 400K in about a decade! These used to be one of my favourite distances, but my fitness level kind of dropped off and I had a couple DNF's a few years ago. But I've lost weight and have been training ... and finished this one!!

My husband (who also rides these events) stuck by me and encouraged me after I broke a tooth at the 200 km point which made breathing, eating and drinking rather difficult.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    400K randonnee complete!! 408 km in total, cycled in 24 hours 45 min.

First 400K in about a decade! These used to be one of my favourite distances, but my fitness level kind of dropped off and I had a couple DNF's a few years ago. But I've lost weight and have been training ... and finished this one!!

My husband (who also rides these events) stuck by me and encouraged me after I broke a tooth at the 200 km point which made breathing, eating and drinking rather difficult.

The blog report of our 400K: :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Machka9/view/red-gum-400k-northern-victoria-august-13-2016-887260
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm doing that as well. Training for Borders of Belgium (1000km) in September. Lovely ride today of 125 km. Now tapering off though. Got my sights on either London Edinburgh London next year, or the Transcontinental, or even the Transatlantic Way. I ride long when I go touring too. I love covering lots of ground and going different places in one ride. Distance is liberating.
  • Machka9
    Options
    One day I'd like to do the LEL ... it's been one of those events on my list for a long time. :) Unfortunately it won't work for us for next year, but I am hoping to find something in the 1000 km range in Canada or possibly western USA. I'll have to wait till the 2017 schedules are posted.

You'll have to write something about the Borders of Belgium ... I'd like to hear about it!
  • lodro
    Options
    It's a small operation, just a guy who loves Belgium, loves cycling and who has devised a beautiful route. I know some of it already and can't wait to go through the Ardennes and the Eifel. Some stretches are wonderful. Oddly, that part of the Ardennes is one of the least populated areas in Western Europe, there's a distinct air of adventure to it all. Had to smile at the: "finishers can buy a beer and a pizza". We'll see though, I'm not really a climber. But it's not the Alps either.

http://bordersofbelgium2016en.weebly.com/
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sounds nice. :)

I'm not a climber either, and at this point, we're picking quite flat rides as we build up our distance and get back into it again. This requires travel because Tasmania isn't flat.

But next year I'm hoping to feel more comfortable on somewhat hillier rides.
  • Derek_McC
    Derek_McC Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have just started back cycling and am nowhere near ready to plan a Brevet series, but perhaps it is not too early to dream. It sure does sound like a lot of fun. Let me drop another 30 lbs and get up to riding a few centuries next year and then, perhaps, I will make a plan.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I just rode 114.7km yesterday for the first time. I was very proud of myself until I came here....feeling a little inadequate LOL!! I just have my factory seat on my bike and my rear was quite sore about 80km in. Do any of you suggest a different seat or riding shorts?
  • lodro
    Options
    Wow!! I just rode 114.7km yesterday for the first time. I was very proud of myself until I came here....feeling a little inadequate LOL!! I just have my factory seat on my bike and my rear was quite sore about 80km in. Do any of you suggest a different seat or riding shorts?

Well done! I think that riding long distance, above 200km is merely a matter of being able to stay on the bike. That depends a lot on the touch points: your feet, hands, and on the saddle and shorts you use. Posture also has something to do with it.

My experience, after a lot of experimenting (LOL)

I switched to a carved brooks cambium saddle
    I invested in good shorts (Craft endurance in my case, with the chamois aimed at endurance riding)
    I worked on good posture and different bike fitting (leaning more forward, having the handlebars lower, which means the sit bones slightly lift off the saddle

then my feet started to hurt because of pressure points from the pedals, so now working on that, haha.

I also use aerobars to be able to rest in a good aero posture, which saves watts. It's all about making the ride as comfortable as possible.

How did you feel after your ride? The majority of my rides is 1.5 hours on the bike, but those are intense interval training rides and then I do long rides, but not longer than 6 hours duration (moving time) on weekends. Longer than 6 hours and your body will take a long time to recover.
  • lodro
    Options
    Derek_McC wrote: »
    I have just started back cycling and am nowhere near ready to plan a Brevet series, but perhaps it is not too early to dream. It sure does sound like a lot of fun. Let me drop another 30 lbs and get up to riding a few centuries next year and then, perhaps, I will make a plan.

ride now, train now. going the distance is easier than sprinting, for me at least. i decided i wouldn't be able to go fast, but, at 53, I'm still able to go long. Brevets are about planning and strategy too, and about being able to face up to the time pressure. That, for me, is the hard part, not the riding so much.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Yeah, I've never been particularly fast on a bicycle (although I did used to race time trials) ... however, about 20 years ago, I discovered I liked cycling all day long. :)
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Saddles really is a personal thing so I'm just sharing what I currently own and happy enough to keep: SMP (I've Drakon & Glider), Selle Italia SLR Superflow & Specialized S-works Power. Yes, I have only one butt :D

Shorts I like Assos, ALE & Giordana. Again it's a personal thing, eg some find Rapha excellent I think they are just so-so :#
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options

I have not been doing any long distances since June when I injured my leg. I kept thinking it was healed, then went for a ride and fairly soon into it the pain would start coming back. I laid off pretty much all of July and other than short rides, all of August up to this point. Hopefully I can get back into longer rides soon. I am hoping to get out today and see how my leg feels for 50-60km. If it feels good I will start building up.

That leads to my comment, build up to longer distances. I also found padded biking shorts make a huge difference. I always laughed at friends who wore them, but once I tried them I understood how much they help over long distances. Trying out a few different saddles to find one that works for you it also a good idea. Oh, and make sure your bike it fitted properly. That made a huge difference for me. My seat was far to low and once it was properly adjusted everything went better.