Ultradistance Cycling?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I just rode 114.7km yesterday for the first time. I was very proud of myself until I came here....feeling a little inadequate LOL!! I just have my factory seat on my bike and my rear was quite sore about 80km in. Do any of you suggest a different seat or riding shorts?

I have not been doing any long distances since June when I injured my leg. I kept thinking it was healed, then went for a ride and fairly soon into it the pain would start coming back. I laid off pretty much all of July and other than short rides, all of August up to this point. Hopefully I can get back into longer rides soon. I am hoping to get out today and see how my leg feels for 50-60km. If it feels good I will start building up.

That leads to my comment, build up to longer distances. I also found padded biking shorts make a huge difference. I always laughed at friends who wore them, but once I tried them I understood how much they help over long distances. Trying out a few different saddles to find one that works for you it also a good idea. Oh, and make sure your bike it fitted properly. That made a huge difference for me. My seat was far to low and once it was properly adjusted everything went better.

Bicycle fit is the first thing I'd check ... get the fit right, and the comfort level increases immensely.

Then the saddles. Get one wide enough for your sitbones but not too wide. But be careful, a thicker or thinner saddle can throw the fit off.

Then the good cycling shorts. Just remember that thick padding is not necessarily the way to go. But make sure the padding covers your sitbones.

Those are the easy things you can do. The next step is a little harder ... fitness.

It really helps your on-bicycle posture when you develop core strength, upper body strength, and general fitness.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    Wow!! I just rode 114.7km yesterday for the first time. I was very proud of myself until I came here....feeling a little inadequate LOL!! I just have my factory seat on my bike and my rear was quite sore about 80km in. Do any of you suggest a different seat or riding shorts?

Well done! I think that riding long distance, above 200km is merely a matter of being able to stay on the bike. That depends a lot on the touch points: your feet, hands, and on the saddle and shorts you use. Posture also has something to do with it.

My experience, after a lot of experimenting (LOL)

I switched to a carved brooks cambium saddle
    I invested in good shorts (Craft endurance in my case, with the chamois aimed at endurance riding)
    I worked on good posture and different bike fitting (leaning more forward, having the handlebars lower, which means the sit bones slightly lift off the saddle

then my feet started to hurt because of pressure points from the pedals, so now working on that, haha.

I also use aerobars to be able to rest in a good aero posture, which saves watts. It's all about making the ride as comfortable as possible.

How did you feel after your ride? The majority of my rides is 1.5 hours on the bike, but those are intense interval training rides and then I do long rides, but not longer than 6 hours duration (moving time) on weekends. Longer than 6 hours and your body will take a long time to recover.

Thanks! I felt absolutely fantastic after my ride and even went to spin class the next day and ran the next. I recovered nicely from my ride and am looking forward to doing another one SOON!!!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options

I have not been doing any long distances since June when I injured my leg. I kept thinking it was healed, then went for a ride and fairly soon into it the pain would start coming back. I laid off pretty much all of July and other than short rides, all of August up to this point. Hopefully I can get back into longer rides soon. I am hoping to get out today and see how my leg feels for 50-60km. If it feels good I will start building up.

That leads to my comment, build up to longer distances. I also found padded biking shorts make a huge difference. I always laughed at friends who wore them, but once I tried them I understood how much they help over long distances. Trying out a few different saddles to find one that works for you it also a good idea. Oh, and make sure your bike it fitted properly. That made a huge difference for me. My seat was far to low and once it was properly adjusted everything went better.

Thanks, when I bought my bike last year they fitted me properly for it. I am very comfortable on my bike for the most part and didn't really notice my butt was getting sore until the 80km mark. I thought for sure my butt was going to be very tender the next day when I went to spin, but it had already recovered!! So the only thing I am looking for is to be able to stay on my bike longer! I think I will try some padded shorts before changing my saddle!

Thanks Everyone!!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options

Thanks, when I bought my bike last year they fitted me properly for it. I am very comfortable on my bike for the most part and didn't really notice my butt was getting sore until the 80km mark. I thought for sure my butt was going to be very tender the next day when I went to spin, but it had already recovered!! So the only thing I am looking for is to be able to stay on my bike longer! I think I will try some padded shorts before changing my saddle!

Thanks Everyone!!!!

Time in the saddle helps me a lot with that. I find the more I ride, the less issues I have since my body gets used to it and fitness increases. As I said earlier, padded shorts made a huge difference for me.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    They said it: getting the distance in is key. Just pushing a little further every time you ride long will get you in 200 km territory before you know it. I started off thinking 60 km was a big deal, now when it's on my Garmin as km's remaining I think: "oh, not that far to go!"
  • Machka9
    Options
    600K Attempt. The short version ....

Saturday morning we started a 600K randonnee ... with some misgivings.

I had been very sick twice since the 400K randonnee we did in mid-August and we haven't been able to train the way wanted. In fact, we missed a 600K in mid-September because I was too sick to go.

Plus this area has been flooded and the Murray river was set to peak on Saturday ... so the route was changed at the last minute.

Nevertheless ... we began.

After dealing with headwinds, a wrong turn, a flat tire, faulty shifters, and my lack of fitness ... we rolled back into the start at the end of the first loop having cycled 390 km in about 23.5 hours.

And there, we called it a day. I gave it everything I had ... there was nothing left.

Still ... we covered 390 km faster than we did on our 400 km in mid-August. :)
  • Machka9
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    600K Attempt. The short version ....

Saturday morning we started a 600K randonnee ... with some misgivings.

I had been very sick twice since the 400K randonnee we did in mid-August and we haven't been able to train the way wanted. In fact, we missed a 600K in mid-September because I was too sick to go.

Plus this area has been flooded and the Murray river was set to peak on Saturday ... so the route was changed at the last minute.

Nevertheless ... we began.

After dealing with headwinds, a wrong turn, a flat tire, faulty shifters, and my lack of fitness ... we rolled back into the start at the end of the first loop having cycled 390 km in about 23.5 hours.

And there, we called it a day. I gave it everything I had ... there was nothing left.

Still ... we covered 390 km faster than we did on our 400 km in mid-August. :)

The Stats
    Distance: 388.2 km (+2 km getting to the start)
    Moving Time: 19:22:19
    Lapsed Time: 23:19:18
    Elevation: 527 metres

• Machka9
    Options
    These long distance rides we're doing ... this is what it is all about ...
    Audax Australia Cycling Club

We were hoping for this award this year, but our last 600 km attempt was this past weekend and we didn't make it. The new season starts Nov 1, so we've got no more chances this season. But hopefully next season ...
    Super Randonneur Award
  • sammichudo
    sammichudo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Some very impressive rides on show here!
    I haven't got a traditional street racing bike, instead I ride an aging Diamondback and enjoy going on long rides. Furthest I've gotten so far was Melbourne - Bateman's Bay and return in a little under a month. Included were my heaviness (186 pounds at the time) a tent, sleeping bag and two saddle bags full of food, clothes and other bits and pieces. A truly intimate way to get to know the country, if only there were less cars around.....
    Happy cycling to all! :-)
  • Machka9
    Options
    sammichudo wrote: »
    Some very impressive rides on show here!
    I haven't got a traditional street racing bike, instead I ride an aging Diamondback and enjoy going on long rides. Furthest I've gotten so far was Melbourne - Bateman's Bay and return in a little under a month. Included were my heaviness (186 pounds at the time) a tent, sleeping bag and two saddle bags full of food, clothes and other bits and pieces. A truly intimate way to get to know the country, if only there were less cars around.....
    Happy cycling to all! :-)

How many km/day?

• sammichudo
    sammichudo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 60 - 110 kilometers per day. Mind you, the east coast is somewhat like a crumpled up carpet of geological proportions; some days were 70km of only climbs and descents, no flats. Add luggage to that and you're testing your willpower and endurance to limits....
    Ultimately was a fantastic experience and I would recommend long distance bike travels to anyone!
  • Machka9
    Options
    sammichudo wrote: »
    Anywhere between 60 - 110 kilometers per day. Mind you, the east coast is somewhat like a crumpled up carpet of geological proportions; some days were 70km of only climbs and descents, no flats. Add luggage to that and you're testing your willpower and endurance to limits....
    Ultimately was a fantastic experience and I would recommend long distance bike travels to anyone!

:)

You should start a cycletouring thread!! :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    The Randonneuring season has begun (it starts on Nov 1 for reasons I don't know) ...

And so we started with a little warm-up ride ... just a short one ...

We cycled the Ranelagh Ramble Randonnee yesterday. It is the first ride of the season and described as, "A lovely amble around some of the more delightful roads that the Huon Valley has to offer. Some gravel, a few hills and a bakery to begin and end the ride." "They" also threw wind, rain, and a range of temperatures into the mix. :D

Distance: 98.4 km
    Elevation: 1080 metres
    Moving time: 5 hours 26 minutes 47 seconds ... 18.1 km/h average speed.
    Elapsed time: 5 hours 51 minutes 42 seconds
  • Machka9
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The Great Southern Randonnee is about to begin down here. I have ridden it once (the 1200K distance) and would like to ride it again, but it just didn't fit in our schedule this year.

http://gsr.audax.org.au/
  • Machka9
    Options
    Derwent 100K Permanent ... and Ride 2 of the Petite Year Round Randonneur

Since this was a Permanent, we had a route (which we adjusted with the blessing of the route owner), but we were allowed to choose the date and start time.

We chose today and 10 am.

Our ride had a theme ... Hurry Up and Wait!

We set off more or less downhill in the beginning at quite a brisk pace ... and came to a halt a few km down the road to wait for our turn at road construction.

Back on our way again, and down into Sandy Bay, through the traffic, up the hill, and dropping down into Salamanca. Saturdays are Salamanca Market days and we landed right in the middle of it all. So, we were off the bicycles and walking briskly through the market.
    City of Hobart | Salamanca Market

Back on the bicycles again, we rounded the foreshore on the sort of, almost, bicycle path weaving between the pedestrians. (it's a bit puzzling where the pedestrians are supposed to be and where the bicycles are supposed to be) Then onto the Cycleway ... we were flying along!

I had to take a short break a few km up the Cycleway, and as we pulled in, a long line of people on bicycles, who didn't look like bicycling was their thing, moved slowly onto the Cycleway. Over the new few km we passed them all, but added to the confusion and congestion was another cycling club who had been out earlier and was on their way back. Plus the fact that the traffic we encountered at the road intersections was thick ... Christmas shopping perhaps? There were a lot of long stops at those intersections as we and these groups of cyclists tried to inch our way through the traffic ... or dash suddenly when a small break opened up. Definitely kept things interesting! You had to pay attention!

At last we had moved through the congestion and were onto a relatively open stretch of the Cycleway and then onto the road and eventually out to the highway. We kept up a really good pace to New Norfolk and about 4.5 km beyond to get our 50 km, then we turned and returned to New Norfolk to have a quite bite to eat.

On the way back, the main feature were all the motorcyclists. We knew they'd be gathering! Every year about this time the Motorcycle Riders Association holds a Toy Run, and a lot of motorcyclists get involved.
    Home of the Motorcycle Riders Associations of Tasmania - Motorcycle Riders Associations of Tasmania
    So many of these motorcyclists who passed us were carrying large teddy bears or had their bicycles decorated for Christmas, and a few were dressed up as Santa.

Back onto the Cycleway again, and the road traffic congestion at the intersections was even thicker ... almost standstill for the motorists which worked for us because we just slipped through it all.

As we reached the Hobart end of the Cycleway, we had a bit of a chuckle at all the motorists completely stopped. The roads were closed for the Toy Run. It was announced ... I just don't understand why you'd get in your car and drive when one of the main roads, and several smaller roads, have been closed. But we had bicycles, so we were good. :)

We stopped atop a small hill for a bite to eat and to discuss some strategy. We could hear the motorcyclists congregating and doing their parade, and knew there'd be a whole lot of them ... hundreds, at least. And we knew that the main road, the one we usually use, would be full of them and we'd probably not have a chance up that way.

So we decided to hug the foreshore which involved quite a bit of weaving and dodging of pedestrians, a few other cyclists, and some random traffic. And then we arrived at Salamanca. The Market was just starting to pack up ... and that's where the motorcyclists were gathering and parking.

Off the bicycles and walking again, through it all and up a steep hill, and then we were on the last leg of the journey.

I had been pushing the speed most of the way, and with about 15 km to go, my legs started turning to mush. So that last leg of the journey was a little slower. But we got there!

Very interesting ride ... no time for daydreaming, something happening all day long!

And we were both on our titaniums ... zippy, quick bicycles. :)

Weather
    Temp: 18C (although Rowan's on-bike temperature gauge indicated 21C at one point)
    Conditions: partly cloudy. The sun came out enough that we got a touch of a sunburn!
    Wind: mostly ESE and kind of SE 15 km/h gusting to about 22 km/h

Stats
    Distance: 100.1 km
    Moving Time: 4:58:11
    Elapsed Time: 5:33:33
    Elevation: 953 metres
    Moving Speed: 20.2 km/h

31351142026_5a0ea44b36_c.jpg
  • Machka9
    Options
    The calendar of really, really long cycling events for 2017 is up:

http://www.randonneursmondiaux.org/30-Calendrier_2017.html
  • banpluak
    banpluak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @Machka9

Been looking in to Randonneuring for a little while now as it seems to suit my riding preferences, even though my weight without the extra fat is a bit high for long distance cycling.

The mind and body seem willing but not sure if the body is capable of holding together. LOL

I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a training schedule example geared to Randonneuring so that I can push myself in the right direction while checking my body out for the endurance?

Currently I am doing longer rides of only 100Km or so 2-3 times a month with daily rides of 30 - 60 Km riding at a higher output.

My main problem is that at the max output, for me, I am getting knee pain. This is however getting less and less as my knees condition to cycling again.

Many thanks for any help you may be able to give.
  • Machka9
    Options
    banpluak wrote: »
    @Machka9

Been looking in to Randonneuring for a little while now as it seems to suit my riding preferences, even though my weight without the extra fat is a bit high for long distance cycling.

The mind and body seem willing but not sure if the body is capable of holding together. LOL

I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a training schedule example geared to Randonneuring so that I can push myself in the right direction while checking my body out for the endurance?

Currently I am doing longer rides of only 100Km or so 2-3 times a month with daily rides of 30 - 60 Km riding at a higher output.

My main problem is that at the max output, for me, I am getting knee pain. This is however getting less and less as my knees condition to cycling again.

Many thanks for any help you may be able to give.

If you're doing 100 km 2 or 3 times a month, you're doing well. Just start gradually increasing your distance. Go out for a 120 km ride one weekend. Then in a couple weekends, try a 135 km ride ... then in 2 or 3 weeks, go for a 150/160 km ride and so on.

As for the knee pain ... have you been fitted on your bicycle? Also, what is your cadence?

• Machka9
    Options
    Thursday 26 January -- Australia Day

My husband and I made a somewhat spur of the moment decision to cycle a century this month (a 100 mile ride ... on the edge of being "ultradistance"). This was made a bit more difficult by the fact that my husband is in his busy season at work ... he has been working long days and lots of days. So at the last minute, we decided to squeeze a century into Australia Day.

Today reached 23C, and was partly cloudy. That part was nice. It was also very windy. Roughly 30 km/h gusting to 60 km/h most of the day.

Our route had us riding into the wind for the first 54 km. We were planning to go further, but by the 54 km point we had enough. We also wanted to turn around and take advantage of the tailwind while there was still a tailwind. Winds here have this habit of changing direction mid-afternoon.

It was such a relief to have a strong tail wind all the way back into Hobart.

Because we had changed the route, our new plan was to cycle back out the cycleway to the end, into the wind. Fortunately the cycleway is somewhat sheltered so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Then a quick dash back into Hobart. And finally a short run out the cycleway to make up the distance ... and at long last, back to the start point.

That's our first century since our 600 km attempt in October. Not the nicest century, but it felt good to be out there cycling all day long again.

Distance: 161.9km
    Elevation: 1,096m
    Moving Time: 8:40:35
    Elapsed Time: 9:42:08
    Avg Speed: 18.7km/h
    Max Speed: 50.8km/h
  • Machka9
    Options
    Hint of Hadspen Hike 160 km Bicycle Ride

My husband and I rode our February century and our Petite Year Round Randonneur event on February 11... 161.3 km.

For me, this was my 100th century ride!!

(But I've done about 75 additional rides longer than that as well.)

We took a trip to northern Tasmania in order to ride the Hint of Hadspen Hike 160K. The Hint of Hadspen Hike 160K is a permanent created from a leg of the Hadspen Hike 600K coming up in September (a ride we're organising) so we wanted to do this particular ride in order to check the route.

This is a nice part of Tasmania and the route was interesting. Much of the route was along the ocean, so there was lots of scenery, and a bit of variety in the terrain. The route also passes through several towns which keeps things interesting as well. What with following the cue sheet to ensure everything was OK (there are a few things which need to be changed) and looking at the scenery and everything, we were busy the whole way ... no time for getting bored!

The temp was nice -- about 22C -- but it was windy, gusting to about 55 km/h. For the first 70 km, the wind was lovely because we had a tailwind. We were able to bank quite a lot of time, fortunately, because then we had to turn around. Fortunately also, the route kind of zigged and zagged a little so we did get a few moments of reprieve now and then ... but for the most part, we were into the wind on the way back.

One other thing ... I forgot to bring my cycling shoes with me. I packed everything else, but not the cycling shoes! I do have dual-sided pedals with platform on one side and cleats on the other, so I opted to wear running shoes. There's a reason why cyclists wear cycling shoes. My poor feet!