Weight Lifting - Tips for a beginner?

Options
13»

Replies

• AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    If you are considering NROLFW, you should consider "Strong" which is effectively the updated program by the same authors. It does work up to compound lifts but starts out on easier versions of them - goblet squats, etc. It's 3 months before you put a barbell on your back.

It's more complex than SL5x5, but I too wasn't sure about doing heavy deadlifts and squats as a completely untrained and unsupervised newbie. I know a lot of people have done it and gotten good results and been fine though. YMMV.
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    If you are considering NROLFW, you should consider "Strong" which is effectively the updated program by the same authors. It does work up to compound lifts but starts out on easier versions of them - goblet squats, etc. It's 3 months before you put a barbell on your back.

I'm about to start NROLFW (I have the book but was injured before starting it years ago), should I really consider buying Strong instead?

• BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I think it entirely depends on your goals, what you enjoy and what motivates you to keep at it and push yourself.

Initially I started building strength and muscle endurance with group classes such as body pump and circuit training. I still go to circuit training but I've given body pump a rest and moved out into the gym to lift heavier weights at lower reps because I got frustrated that I couldn't progress my squat weight in pump classes due to high reps and not being able to lift more than 35kg over my head to squat it!

I am currently doing SL5X5 and I am enjoying seeing the progress, which in turn motivates me to keep at it and push myself to improve. I find that it is easy to follow and reasonably easy to fit in (although some weeks I only manage 2 lifting days rather than 3 because I refuse to give up my group class schedule of spinning and circuit training). I think SL is a good beginner program if you want to lift heavy but as your goal is a little vague I would equally recommend finding a good circuit training class, trying les mills body pump classes or perhaps trying a bootcamp style class or crossfit.

There is nothing wrong with sticking to cardio with some bodyweight work. I think main stay exercises for building core strength are hollow body holds, push ups, plank variations, squats and pull ups. You could set yourself challenges for all of these exercises and just fit a routine around your cardio if that is all you need. Plus, these can all be done anywhere!

I also love spinning and I do circuit training 3xper week and ballet once a week (also excellent for core strength) but I wanted a new challenge when I added stronglifts and I'm hooked now on wanting to be able to lift heavier each workout! It really is a great feeling for me but I know others who just don't find that. I think you absolutely have to find out what interests and motivates you and then work on that.

Good luck with whatever it is you want to achieve!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Actually, if you're a beginner I would not recommend a split program. Instead, focus on full body programs with compound movements. StrongLifts 5x5 is popular around here (and a personal favorite), but you can also look into New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW) or Ice Cream Fitness.

Why would you recommend compound movements to a beginner? Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. They need to learn basic movements first.

Probably, because with compounds, you're less likely to develop unbalanced groups. This is why bodyweight fitness routines tend to be pretty safe, they almost have the protections against unbalances built in, as they are compound movements.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts.com. Since you are a total newbie, you only have to learn five exercises - squats, bench press, rows, overhead press and deadlifts. You can learn about the program at stronglifts.com, download the app to track your progress and they have videos that you can watch to learn how to do the exercises. You only need to do it 3 days a week, and it only takes about 45 minutes per session.

I love it and have been seeing awesome progress using the program. Good luck!

Here is one problem with this program. Take shoulders for example. The delts alone are made up of three heads. There is no way to isolate each head by only doing a military press. Also, why would you want a beginner to start with compound movements such as deadlifts and squats? Exercises that if done improperly, increase the chance of injury. More so than others.

Compound lifts ARE the basic lifts. Yes, form is critical which is why most of us tell people to find a good trainer or watch vids, limit the weights and then video your lifts and look for issues.
    Isolation lifts are there as finishing moves after basic compound lifts.

If you look at any basic beginner lifting program they all have the same basic movements: bench, squat, OHP, rows and deadlifts.

I would never teach deadlifts or barbell squats to a beginner. I would start them with some more basic exercises, then progress. Agree to disagree.

Deadlifts and squats are the basics.
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend getting a good trainer to introduce you to all the moves. I personally liked training with a PT as he was adjusting my form, the weights, watching me, making all sorts of changes to the program to get the maximum out of me. Even after I learned the basics I continued with him. And then I tripped and f*cked up my ankle. And I just recovered fully from this and now my knee is busted x'D So... yeah...

A PT is a great investment.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and then Ripped in 30, along with some other circuit-type workouts with cardio. Think cardio+body weight push-ups, squats and lunges with light dumbbells. I was strong enough to then start some power lifting and Stronglifts 5x5 when they were introduced to me. I had never worked with free weights before that. Of course you don't have to do that particular program. But if you are interested in lifting free weights and improving your strength, it is a great way to go. If you feel you are such a beginner that body weights lunges, squats, and light dumbbell exercises are difficult for you, start with those.