New to jogging couch to a 5k program

Options
2»

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'd like to slap that guy. I started run/walking at 270, and am really glad I did. One of my friends is in the 300s, and just completed her first half marathon. Sure, no matter what weight you are, the elliptical or biking is easier on your knees. But if you prefer jogging, then it's better for you because you'll keep up with it.

There are a ton of apps to keep track of your run/walk intervals and alert you when it's time to change up. When I was using my phone for that, I liked Run Keeper the best, but try several because they all have pros and cons. Be sure to try a couple of C25K specific apps -- they will give you the alerts, too, and track where you are supposed to be in your progress. (FWIW, I ended up switching to a Garmin watch because some of my runs were at a park next to a busy street, and I was missing the alerts from the phone due to traffic noise. The Garmin vibrates, so I didn't miss the alerts.)

I agree you are fine to start running and you were fine when you were heavier too! Also agree with the above, if running is something you WANT to do than absolutely it can be the best for you. It's honestly not much more injury prone than a lot of other things, the key is not to do too much too soon.

Go get fitted for good shoes at a local running store. Make sure when you first start you always take a rest day between days you jog. My other advice is to GO SLOW. People think they need to RUN, but at first you are just trying to get your muscles used to it. You should be able to carry on a conversation without gasping (though not necessarily easily) while jogging. If you can't, too fast.

This is perfect advice! Don't just get running shoes; get the right shoes! It's no big deal when you are running for a minute or two. By the time you start getting to 15, 20, 30 minutes? You'll want good shoes or you'll be hurting. And take your days off! Do not run on consecutive days! And go slow and easy. It's not the Olympics, there's no medal for finishing it super fast. I repeated Week 6. Who cares? It was the best decision I made.
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I got a c25k app from Zen Labs.

It'll tell you when to walk and run. It also tells you at the top of the workout how long you'll be walking and running for.

This is the one I use ( I actually just graduated this week!). I liked it because it syncs with MFP so it would update my exercise calories automatically.
  • kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    So, my weight loss journey has been going on for over the past few years. At my heaviest I was 320 and now I am 220. Somewhere around the 270-260 mark, I got it in my head that I wanted to start jogging and eventually to do a marathon. I tried to do a C25K program and I was on a treadmill and a older gentleman at gym came over and told me not to do that because I was still to heavy and I was better off on an elliptical or an incline walking on a treadmill. Now that I am down to 219, can I start a C25k program? Also, with those programs, how do you keep track of the times of walking vs. jogging in the beginning part of those workouts? Is there an app that will send an alert? Do you just keep track of it yourself?

Wow! Congratulations on your weight loss! That's a big number and if I were you I'd be feeling pretty fantastic!

You are telling a story, that is so similar to mine and I could just hug you! I started running at 325 lbs and as the weight flew off, I decided to run the Honolulu Marathon (I'm from Canada... running outside required a reward thru the cold months, LOL). I lost about 100 lbs and did it 11 months after starting running. This despite people telling me I couldn't, I was crazy etc.. (that became my motivation... when told I couldn't, I said... Just watch me!). Since then I've coached numerous runners to personal bests thru the Running Room programs.

For the guy who told you not to run on a treadmill... Pour him a nice hot cup of STFU and do it anyways! Yes, you can run! C25K is a great starting program which has been successful for a great number of novice runners. I am in fact using it right now as I rehab from a serious Achilles injury.

I actually have the full suite of Couch to Apps on my iPhone. The C25K app is free to download and will tell you when to run, when to walk via voice and vibration. It also allows you to play music which is a nice feature to have. There is also a C210K and 26.2 App that you can follow up with.

Feel free to add me as a friend.

Congrats Again!

Thanks for all the support! I sent you a request!

• kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options

[/quote]

This is perfect advice! Don't just get running shoes; get the right shoes! It's no big deal when you are running for a minute or two. By the time you start getting to 15, 20, 30 minutes? You'll want good shoes or you'll be hurting. And take your days off! Do not run on consecutive days! And go slow and easy. It's not the Olympics, there's no medal for finishing it super fast. I repeated Week 6. Who cares? It was the best decision I

I am in NYC so there are a few places that will have you run on a treadmill and they will help find the right running shoe for each runner. I am going to go to one of those places for the right fit!