Alternating Cardio and Strength Training

Options
anthony150paolucci
anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I started my cut on Monday and have been lifting light so far the past few days just to get myself acclimated to weight training since I am a beginner. I am going to go heavier next week, but I don't think I should be lifting 6x a week. Instead, I decided to alternate between cardio (HIIT) and strength training every other day. So, for example:

Sunday: Cardio (20 min)
Monday: Strength (30 min)
Tuesday: Cardio (20 min)
Wednesday: Strength (30 min)
Thursday: Cardio (20 min)
Friday: Strength (30 min)
Saturday: Rest

I have read several articles stating cardio mixed with strength training is more beneficial for fat loss than just constantly doing only one of each. Do you think this is a good formula?

Replies

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Since you're alternating days, you don't even really need the rest day, unless it's just for you mentally. Your rest days are the days in between each set.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't start out with 30 min 3x a week of hiit unless you really need to burn the calories because your intake is extremely low.
    Even then, I don't think 30 minutes of hiit is optimal.
    Typically people start cardio at a lower amount of time, and add more time or sessions as they progress into the cut. That way you don't end up eating 1200 calories and doing hours of cardio towards the end of your cut.
    However, I saw from your previous post that you don't have much to lose and don't want to take advice anyway.
  • anthony150paolucci
    Options
    I wouldn't start out with 30 min 3x a week of hiit unless you really need to burn the calories because your intake is extremely low.
    Typically people start cardio at a lower amount of time, and add more time or sessions as they progress into the cut. That way you don't end up eating 1200 calories and doing hours of cardio towards the end of your cut.
    However, I saw from your previous post that you don't have much to lose and don't want to take advice anyway.

I have taken the advice from the previous post into consideration, but I really don't want to spend time doing a recomp when I can just go down to a really lean level and have a base to start with to build muscle.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    Ok, well regardless of that. My opinion on this new topic- that much hiit is not necessary at this point. And if you decide to do it anyhow, you may want to consider eating more calories.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The Body for life, or back to fit as its called now, that's what the workout routine is. Alternating days with the seventh day a rest, and on the three lifting days, one week you do two upper body, one lower, the next week, the opposite, two lower, one upper. I had fantastic results with that program in the past. And the cardio sessions are hiit for 20 minutes, lifting is 45 minutes. Take a look at it. Look up back to fit on bodybuilding.com or read the book body for life by Bill Phillips, it's a great and inspirational read.
  • anthony150paolucci
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ok, well regardless of that. My opinion on this new topic- that much hiit is not necessary at this point. And if you decide to do it anyhow, you may want to consider eating more calories.

I actually think I can agree with you on that. I will start off with 20 minutes HIIT and go from there.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Yep to this ^ as we told you in your other post the higher your calorie deficit the more muscle you will lose. Cardio or hiit doesn't burn off fat, it burns calories creating a larger deficit which then in turn leads to weight loss. If you don't eat back the exercises calories you will lose more fat but you will also lose more muscle.

But if you want to start with very low fat and no muscle go for it alternating cardio and strength training is a good strategy. I wouldn't recommend it but if that's what you.

I am curious thoigh what lifting program you are following. In your last post you said you were following a structured program, now you are saying you don't want to lift 6 days a week (which is fine), so my question is did you find a new 3 day program? As a new lifter I would definitely follow an established program.
  • anthony150paolucci
    Options
    Actually, I probably shouldn't have said I was following a structured program. I was watching a beginner strength workout focused on the basic lifts and movements. I feel as though I can go higher in weight even though I just started. So starting next week I am going to go higher in weight, but I don't think I should be going for 6 days straight even though as much as I want to. So that is why I want to incorporate HIIT cardio along with strength training, but only do it for 20 minutes so I don't burn too many calories

By the way, I know it might seem strange I want to go for low muscle and low fat, but I would really feel more comfortable this way.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, I think you should take advantage of quicker gains by eating around maintenance and lifting heavy. You're doing yourself a disservice IMO.
  • tillerstouch
    Options
    Actually, I probably shouldn't have said I was following a structured program. I was watching a beginner strength workout focused on the basic lifts and movements. I feel as though I can go higher in weight even though I just started. So starting next week I am going to go higher in weight, but I don't think I should be going for 6 days straight even though as much as I want to. So that is why I want to incorporate HIIT cardio along with strength training, but only do it for 20 minutes so I don't burn too many calories

By the way, I know it might seem strange I want to go for low muscle and low fat, but I would really feel more comfortable this way.

If that's what you want, I think you'll regret it when it comes time to bulk but whatever you need to do.

What is your strength program going to look like?
  • tillerstouch
    Options
    IGbnat24 wrote: »
    As a beginner, I think you should take advantage of quicker gains by eating around maintenance and lifting heavy. You're doing yourself a disservice IMO.

Agreed but we've already suggested this to OP on another thread and it's not what he wants. I think most lifters though wish they were in a position for a recomp. I know I do lol. Lose fat and gain muscle sounds way better then bulk and cut.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    IGbnat24 wrote: »

Agreed.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    Not to beat a dead horse, because we've already established that the OP doesn't want to recomp even though it would be great.. But...
    Perhaps there is some underlying disordered thinking going on here? Because "Really low muscle and fat" sounds like a really unhealthy mindset to me...
    I'm not a bulk expert, (I was fat when I started lifting and "bulked" more on accident.. Heh. Oops.) But you will have to get over the fear of gaining weight if you want to make muscle gains. You can learn about tracking and macros and keep fat gains to a minimum, but to add significant muscle you'll need to add weight. Cutting at this point is just prolonging dealing with that.
    I'm sure you'll say "I'm not afraid to bulk or gain weight" etc etc.
    buuuuut, to anyone else your goals don't make sense. The goal should be to preserve as much muscle as possible.
    OP, you're at a great place to start a recomp and change your physique. Your height, weight, age, body fat all suggest a recomp could transform your body.
    If you are dead set on losing what muscle you have as long as it means a minimal body fat, maybe you need to work on some other things before you try to embark on a fitness journey.
  • anthony150paolucci
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Not to beat a dead horse, because we've already established that the OP doesn't want to recomp even though it would be great.. But...
    Perhaps there is some underlying disordered thinking going on here? Because "Really low muscle and fat" sounds like a really unhealthy mindset to me...
    I'm not a bulk expert, (I was fat when I started lifting and "bulked" more on accident.. Heh. Oops.) But you will have to get over the fear of gaining weight if you want to make muscle gains. You can learn about tracking and macros and keep fat gains to a minimum, but to add significant muscle you'll need to add weight. Cutting at this point is just prolonging dealing with that.
    I'm sure you'll say "I'm not afraid to bulk or gain weight" etc etc.
    buuuuut, to anyone else your goals don't make sense. The goal should be to preserve as much muscle as possible.
    OP, you're at a great place to start a recomp and change your physique. Your height, weight, age, body fat all suggest a recomp could transform your body.
    If you are dead set on losing what muscle you have as long as it means a minimal body fat, maybe you need to work on some other things before you try to embark on a fitness journey.

There really isn't a right or wrong path when it comes down to it though. If I bulk now while I am above 15% body fat, I will gain muscle along with a little fat. If I cut now while I am above 15% body fat, I will lose fat along with a little muscle. I prefer the second option because say I cut down to 10% body fat, I can then bulk between 10-15 % and still be satisfied about my body fat percentage. If I bulk now and go over 20% body fat, I just won't feel good about myself and likely demotivating me. The third option everyone suggested as a recomp isn't a bad idea don't get me wrong, but I want to get rid of the extra fat now and cutting is the fastest way. Really low muscle and fat sounds unhealthy, but I much prefer it this way for now.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Do you think this is a good formula?

If you're new to cardio, don't do intervals. Also, do more than 20 minutes at a time. But do most of your cardio below your threshold.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I'd leave HIIT to once a week in the beginning and use steady state the other two days. HIIT will require recovery similar to lifting. I think steady state cardio has gotten a very bad rep on lifting boards, but the heart benefits are pretty clear. You're also not going to have problems building muscle if all you're running are 5Ks and below.
  • tillerstouch
    Options
    There really isn't a right or wrong path when it comes down to it though. If I bulk now while I am above 15% body fat, I will gain muscle along with a little fat. If I cut now while I am above 15% body fat, I will lose fat along with a little muscle. I prefer the second option because say I cut down to 10% body fat, I can then bulk between 10-15 % and still be satisfied about my body fat percentage. If I bulk now and go over 20% body fat, I just won't feel good about myself and likely demotivating me. The third option everyone suggested as a recomp isn't a bad idea don't get me wrong, but I want to get rid of the extra fat now and cutting is the fastest way. Really low muscle and fat sounds unhealthy, but I much prefer it this way for now.

And what I bolded is the real root of the issue, you're trying to do this quickly. I don't think you understand what a cut is. A cut is a slow processes not a fast one, it is meant to be used after a bulk as a method of retaining the muscle you build during your bulk while getting rid of the fat that came with the muscle. So really you're not cutting you're just trying to drop weight, which is fine, but isn't really a cut.

Also during a bulk you don't put on that much fat there is some but if you're doing a slow bulk (like a 200 calorie surplus) you won't gain much fat. Also like for me during my bulk I felt so good about the strength gains I was making I didn't mind the fat on top of which as my muscles grew I looked more define even with any fat I gained.

I really recommend you re think things and take a slow approach instead of looking to do this quick. Because cut and bulk cycles are not meant to be quick.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    I'd leave HIIT to once a week in the beginning and use steady state the other two days. HIIT will require recovery similar to lifting. I think steady state cardio has gotten a very bad rep on lifting boards, but the heart benefits are pretty clear. You're also not going to have problems building muscle if all you're running are 5Ks and below.

He's likely severely under eating though as well.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

He's likely severely under eating though as well.

It looks like he has another thread on calories? I'm not going to go looking for it to try and convince someone who won't listen to reason. I will say the following:

OP - cut slowly, lift 3-4 days a week, eat plenty of protein but don't cut carbs too severely either (you need the energy to get through workouts) and don't fall for the HIIT hype. Use it, but do steady state because your heart is the most important muscle you have. Think protein for that reason too.

So, don't cut more than by 500 calories a day. Eat at least 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Get 0.3-.35 grams of fat per pound of body weight, and fill with quality carbs. By way of comparison I'm a 205ish pound man and I'm currently cutting by 250 calories a day. I figure I'll hit 188-190 by early autumn. It works.

• anthony150paolucci
    edited April 2016
    Options

And what I bolded is the real root of the issue, you're trying to do this quickly. I don't think you understand what a cut is. A cut is a slow processes not a fast one, it is meant to be used after a bulk as a method of retaining the muscle you build during your bulk while getting rid of the fat that came with the muscle. So really you're not cutting you're just trying to drop weight, which is fine, but isn't really a cut.

Also during a bulk you don't put on that much fat there is some but if you're doing a slow bulk (like a 200 calorie surplus) you won't gain much fat. Also like for me during my bulk I felt so good about the strength gains I was making I didn't mind the fat on top of which as my muscles grew I looked more define even with any fat I gained.

I really recommend you re think things and take a slow approach instead of looking to do this quick. Because cut and bulk cycles are not meant to be quick.

Is a cut always used after a bulk? Because I have seen many times recommended on bodybuilding forums that people who are low on muscle with 15% body fat or higher and are new to lifting, they sometimes recommend you cut down to a lean level. When they say "cut" though, that means they are lifting while they are in a deficit right?